Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FireFish

unexpected silence : 20th year of doom.

Doom, the game that changed gaming history. The game that re-invented the first person shooter after ID created wolfenstein...

Has received not more, and not less than a few reviews for its glorious 20th year in existence, in the entire gaming culture.

is the legacy fading, are modern users looking at newer games as a
starting point, or are we all chasing the past in a modern world ?
so many questions, no real answer.

what are your thoughts on all of this ?

My thoughts?

The industry, including ID Software with its current lineup, doesn't really care about anything that won't bring them profit. Screw the legacy, screw the historical impact.

Want a proof?

The best Bethesda could do was to release a t-shirt... I would much rather read some article or see some "never-before-released" screenshots, I'm certain they have SOMETHING that hasn't seen the light of day... but no... because you can't sell this stuff... so they end up with something that looks like a last-minute idea: a freakin' t-shirt.

"One of the most iconic computer games turned 20, and all we got was a lousy t-shirt" ;)

On the other hand, the original creators of Doom (meaning Carmack and Romero) actually made an effort and offered interviews / their thoughts. That's SO MUCH cooler than what Bethesda did.

Patrol1985 said:

"One of the most iconic computer games turned 20, and all we got was a lousy t-shirt" ;)

This in itself would be a great Tshirt

The curse of fame, every indie or hobby 'artist' that starts off with a vision, a true philosophy, a real open mind, will fall under the spell of money when they reach fame.

bethesda only recently became a mastadont, because they started to assimilate (buy) famous franchises to form a bulk of an producer and publisher.

nobody can blame them, if your creation reaches a status where it is worth millions... who would not go for those millions.

They certainly won't rake in millions with those t-shirts. That's what makes me so angry: they prefer to earn cents (compared to what their company is worth) than to give some cool piece of information, which would earn them nothing, but please the fans...

... but maybe that's how one achieves greatness? A cent here, a cent there and eventually you'll make it.

I won't lie it crossed my mind as well ;)

But if I could choose, I'd choose something else. It's great that Romero showed those vintage pics and sketches on facebook.

Memfis said:

it's just a video game guys, it's okay if the president didn't give a speech about it

But he promised us change. Doom reform was at the top I thought.

I was also disappointed not one of the speakers at the Nelson Mandela memorial gave props to Doom.

Patrol1985 said:

It's great that Romero showed those vintage pics and sketches on facebook.

A link to that please?

Great sarcasm and humor, as expected on doomworld...

But, to me it just looks like neglecting the importance of marketing.
Throwing away that which made them rich, the fans that bought the games, If we all did not buy, they would not have been what they are now.

games are on the same cultural level as movies, we are not living in the 70's anymore.

It is an important milestone for those of a serious gaming disposition, but not perhaps for the world at large.

Think about it this way - we all need the wheel, right? But who still marks the anniversary of the first one?

It is the nature of things that are taken for granted that the record of their special nature passes into the custodianship of those who really care - without the care, the knowledge goes.

Fact is the younger generation is largely ignorant of early internet or video game history now, but keep the fires burning, because I think there will come a time of renewed interest in the whole period and games like Doom and how they began to, with subtlety, change culture.

It will be like the way we look back at the industrial revolution or invention of electricity.

Guest Unregistered account

I was going to release a Deathmatch megawad for the 20th, but I encountered 2 problems:

a). I couldn't finish the wad in time. So far I've made two levels.

b). I don't actually know how to release a wad X(

I'll settle for still being able to play new and exciting Doom wads in 20 years time from now!

That and somebody making a 'The Ring'-themed Doom wad.

Although there seems to be some reaction on the interwebs, it's still so sadly quiet over here in Latvia... 20th anniversary of such an important game, yet nobody rises an eyebrow, and even I'm a day late with this post.

Joe667 said:

I was going to release a Deathmatch megawad for the 20th, but I encountered 2 problems:

a). I couldn't finish the wad in time. So far I've made two levels.

b). I don't actually know how to release a wad X(

1- Keep the maps simple.

2- Find someone with knowledge of DM to test it and give feedback.

3- Upload it anywhere that's not sketchy and post a link on the forums, preferably in a new thread.

I posted a thread on a certain forum elsewhere which claims it's for the geeks for Doom's 20th because no one else had and barely anyone commented and it was completely ignored, I'd hardly consider the regulars on that forum geeky if they can't even recognize a legendary game such as Doom and only their shitty non-geeky CoD games.

Guest Unregistered account
Marcaek said:

1- Keep the maps simple.

2- Find someone with knowledge of DM to test it and give feedback.

3- Upload it anywhere that's not sketchy and post a link on the forums, preferably in a new thread.

Okey dokey. But what I mean is, I literally don't know where to start if I want to upload a wad on Doomworld. I don't know what button to click, etc. etc....

Bethesda is typical of todays games industry so why expect something special that didn't cost you money? The games industry as a whole today reminds of the film industry in the 80s. Lots of cash-in me-too action 'blockbusters' that wouldn't last more than the decade they were made in with nary a thought of the films that came before other than what could be colourised, transferred to VHS and sold for profit. Today it's just a case of different industry, same shit. The games industry has finally succeeded in its ever present attempt to emulate Hollywood. Well done guys!

So, by that (admittedly flawed) analogy, in about 30 years the mainstream game industry will grow up, realise it's folly and actually start respecting the art works from its past while lamenting all the things that should've been preserved but were lost in the stampede to make more cash...

/RANT ENDS

interesting answers, and they where pleasant to read.

as posted somewhere else, i never expected anything special, but in a way it bothered me, and thus this thread was made.

ty.

According to that thread there were plenty of Doom 20th birthday related articles. I never saw any other game had such a honor. Except maybe Super Mario Bros with its 25th anniversary in 2010.

As for Bethesda they should have done two things by the date: Make Doom and Doom 2 freeware and announce Doom 4 already.