Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

Interview with John Carmack for Doom's 20th

Not if you actually fire up DOSBox and run the 320 by 240 resolution game

lol who is this Carmack guy?? He doesn't even know the resolution of the game LMAO

Great read, particularly the last question on the second page.

By the way, it doesn't seem to show up as news on the front page...

Linguica said:

lol who is this Carmack guy?? He doesn't even know the resolution of the game LMAO

He thinks that it isn't 2260 x 1900 max res with max power. Framerate X.

Linguica said:

Remember that time when some guy was arguing with Carmack on Slashdot about which resolution Doom used? Well look who's laughing now!

This is probably the most interesting article I've found all day. Coupled with Romero's video over on IGN there's just an endless amount of information and views that I didn't know before. Cool stuff.

Carmack: And we have the hardware acceleration that automates but also channels what you choose to do. Because if you don’t choose to do what the hardware is happy with, you’ve got this order of magnitude penalty that’s almost impossible to overcome.

In many ways, that was the most exciting age of the decision-making process, where you’re deciding what you choose to undertake based on it. Because once GPUs took over, it took away a lot of the freedom. There’s still an infinitude of things you can do there, but the tasks you choose to undertake are a little bit more constrained. Because there’s one obviously correct way of engaging the hardware.

I feel like this needs to be saved and brought up the next time somebody complains that GZDoom or Doomsday chokes on a complex map...

Cool interview! I'm really interested in what the creators have to say on this anniversary. Can't watch vids on this comp but I'll check out the Romero vid soon.