Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A.Gamma

Fallout 1, 2 and Tacticts free on GOG

Yep, they were posting on Facebook to say that the demand exceeded expectation by a pretty huge margin and they were going to quadruple the number of servers to try and fix it.

We're currently experiencing server issues due to the highest traffic ever noted on GOG.com. We did anticipate much interest in our 2013 DRM-Free Winter Sale, as well as our Fallout 1,2, & Tactics giveaway, but the number of visits exceeded our highest expectations by far. And we mean FAR. For today, we've prepared double the number of servers that were needed to support our highest day in traffic to date, but it turned out to be not nearly sufficient. We're working on quadrupling our server supply, now.

We're terribly sorry for all the inconvenience you might encounter today, while visiting GOG.com store. If you're new to the site, rest assure that this is far from our day-to-day standards. We're working around the clock until all the problems are fixed, and everyone can enjoy everything we have to offer. If you've encountered any problems, please give it some time. Most issues will be resolved automatically, soon, as the first batch of extra servers is coming on-line right now. If you're affected by something more serious, please be assured that our support team will assist you and fix whatever needs fixing.

Again, we apologize for the user experience, that is not up to our usual standards.

I bought Fallout 2 a few weeks ago for $10. Later that day, it went on sale for 75% off on Steam. That's also when I bought Fallout Tactics for 75% off. Now I see this and wish I waited.

david_a said:

Do you actually have to download them by Saturday or just "buy" them?

"Buy" them. It adds them to your gog library, then you can grab them any time you please.

Nabbed 'em while idling at work. I've seen Fallout 3 in action, never played any games in the series though. This should be a productive weekend

Kirby said:

Nabbed 'em while idling at work. I've seen Fallout 3 in action, never played any games in the series though. This should be a productive weekend

Don't expect anything like Fallout 3 though, the originals are isometric and turn based; and IMO much better than that mess Bethesda called "Fallout 3"

I played through F1 earlier this year (with a widescreen patch (y God, it's incredible how much resolutions have increased over the years - I can see forever)). Very much looking forward to playing F2 again, as it's probably my favourite of the series.

Also interested to check out Tactics, but not getting my hopes up too high, as it's one of the rare Fallout games not narrated by Ron Perlman, and those Fallout games are generally considered to be the worst, or even non-canonical.

Already have them, bought some few years ago. But I think I didn't get the Tactics to work, as it was on a DVD, but the game wanted me to have the original release CDs. Whatever, I was only interested in the first two games anyway.

Just picked these up here. I bought Fallout 3 a few weeks ago, so it'll interesting to see the differences in the earlier games compared to the more RPG elements of the later, Bethesda games.

I got these ages ago, I think through Steam, but found myself getting arse-raped (metaphorically) by giant rats. Those bloody rats killed me more times than Doom's Cyberdemons. Still, if people think the games are worth persevering with, I'll give them another go.

Seeker_of_Truth said:

Just picked these up here. I bought Fallout 3 a few weeks ago, so it'll interesting to see the differences in the earlier RPG games compared to the more shooter elements of the later, Bethesda games.

Fixed that for you

Avoozl said:

Bethesda certainly has the wrong idea of what an RPG really is.

I wouldn't really call it 'wrong,' so much as 'different.' I don't even consider their games 'true' RPGs -- at least not in the vein of Arcanum, Fallout, Planescape, Baldur's Gate, etc., but I'm dating myself with that statement, as most games sold nowadays as RPGs don't fit my definition either. Bethesda's games are more action-adventure games, with a lot of RPG 'elements' (e.g. loot, attributes, dialogue, quests, etc.). Their games are closer to Zelda than the RPG games of olde.

But I will say that I enjoyed each of them since Morrowind. Yes, even Skyrim somehow. But I like RPG elements in all of my games, even shooters.

>no, schwerpunk, you are the mainstream
>and them schwerpunk was a cod kiddy

I didn't enjoy Skyrim at all, a large portion of what the previous games had was left out, it felt quite rushed and more catered towards the casual and child audience and had elements implemented which made it far too easy.

My main problem with Bethesdas games is that no matter how big or impressive their worlds are, they always lack "depth".

I mean I can go and become the most powerful mage in the land, and all that I get are some robes, a room and comments from random guards. And that's supposed to be one of the greatest RPGs ever?

MajorRawne said:

I got these ages ago, I think through Steam, but found myself getting arse-raped (metaphorically) by giant rats. Those bloody rats killed me more times than Doom's Cyberdemons. Still, if people think the games are worth persevering with, I'll give them another go.

Just aim for the eyes and they'll die from like the first (critical) hit from the first pistol. Even that rat "god".

Captain Red said:

GOG shears esteem with the Red Cross and the Muppets as unambiguous forces for good in this world.

truth. Downloaded Syndicate, Syndicate Wars, Freespace 1 & 2 over the last month. Damn good times.

A.Gamma said:

My main problem with Bethesdas games is that no matter how big or impressive their worlds are, they always lack "depth".

I mean I can go and become the most powerful mage in the land, and all that I get are some robes, a room and comments from random guards. And that's supposed to be one of the greatest RPGs ever?

Methinks all Bethesda's good writers went to work on something other than Skyrim. Skyrim's writing was childish at best and utterly broken at worst. They used to have a better idea. Daggerfall even have half a dozen endings.

New Vegas is so much better in this regard. Your actions with one faction affect the other ones. Your decisions affect what NPCs will do in the future, and you don't always get to the be the leader with a fancy robe who for some reason still has to take orders.

chopkinsca said:

I bought Fallout 2 a few weeks ago for $10. Later that day, it went on sale for 75% off on Steam. That's also when I bought Fallout Tactics for 75% off. Now I see this and wish I waited.

I've often noticed Steam is very wise to sales and bundles. PSN has a sale Steam has a sale within that week for the same games. If there's a bundle full of meh games, then Steam will have a week long sale with plenty of the meh games on sale. Humble Bundle ends, Steam has a sale.

I've never used GOG, so I don't know if they'd add this in, but make SURE if you get FO2, to get Killap's unofficial patch. Tons and tons and tons of bugs that were never caught initially have been fixed with this.

There's also the Restoration Project, which adds in interpretations of content cut from the original game. Something I'd recommend for a second or third playthrough.

Aliotroph? said:

Methinks all Bethesda's good writers went to work on something other than Skyrim. Skyrim's writing was childish at best and utterly broken at worst. They used to have a better idea. Daggerfall even have half a dozen endings.

New Vegas is so much better in this regard. Your actions with one faction affect the other ones. Your decisions affect what NPCs will do in the future, and you don't always get to the be the leader with a fancy robe who for some reason still has to take orders.

I wholeheartedly agree with you, while New Vegas still has te engine problems most Bethesda games have, it has far better writing and the decisions you make will have a bigger impact on the game world. The best part? It wasn't made by Bethesda, it was made by Obsidian.

What's interesting about the engine problems is at least some issues were fixed in FO3/NV that weren't fixed in Skyrim. For example, putting a ton of stuff in a box in Skyrim causes the game to fail to display some of the items. This isn't happening to me in NV (admittedly, I don't remember if this was the case in FO3). That bug was listed unable to be fixed by the Oblivion unofficial patch, and yet it's still in Skyrim. :/

Anyway, I'm playing Fallout now. It's awesome there's a hi-res patch out there, but I wish I could scale the world graphics bigger. It's hard on my eye.

So far the game is interesting, although hard. Reminds me a lot of playing D&D. I got myself killed by a pack of rats and it took a while to learn how to kill them efficiently.

Lots of bundles on sale just for today, 22 hours remaining until the offer ends. I grabbed the ROTT one, since I've not played it properly before.