Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mattfrie1

PSX Doom/Final Doom TC (Legacy TC, See first post for details)

Of course, hell yes. I did check for that, you know :P

I hope this isn't due a problem with my PC or something...

EDIT: Wait, I know what happened. I saved the music file as a PK3 directly, because Firefox is by default trying to save them as zip and I wasn't paying attention. Opened up the "PK3" file and the actual music PK3 was in there, heh.

Have just bought a widescreen monitor and have changed resolution and aspect ratio to match.

Does anyone know of a way to hide the brick background on the left and right hand side of the HUD (just make it plain black)? I really don't like having the brick artwork, you can stretch the HUD to cover it but that looks pretty bad too.

I've had a fiddle with the SBINFO.TXT in the PK3 (Tried replacing it with MG_MAN's that I found here: http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=37960&start=15) but couldn't get that to work.

Also there is a small black bar beneath the HUD, could the whole HUD be resized slightly to make better use of the space?

Thanks

I've cooked up a fancier HUD add-on since that one.

http://forum.zdoom.org/download/file.php?id=18405

Should load without messing with configs.

WHAT IT DOES:
-HUD automatically picks between PSX Doom's and PSX Final Doom's status bar depending on what episode you're playing on. (Regular for Doom/II, Final Doom for Master Levels/TNT/Plutonia)
-Adds fire to the left/right sides of the screen in the intro to cover widescreen area
-HUD is proper aspect ratio (it's squished in the main PSX Doom TC release)
-HUD has altered graphics for widescreen (the bar background extends across the black bars, works for both status bars)
-Compatible with Lost Levels. I believe it'll use the regular status bar for it.
-NEW: Uses the Final Doom SSG sprite in Final Doom levels only. Regular SSG sprite in Doom levels. Won't work if you have PSXSSG.pk3.

BUT...

-Removes Williams intro. I made this wad for personal use and I decided that the fire intro was cooler on startup than the Williams logo. If you want it back, just edit the ACS script for the TITLEMAP by uncommenting the commented section. Sorry.

If you want to add it to the project itself (besides removing the Williams intro of course), I'm cool with that.

How it works is it has a global ACS script run at each player spawn/map load that checks what episode the map's in, then gives the player an item. The SBARINFO checks for that item to choose between displaying the PSX Doom or the PSX Final Doom status bar graphics. It uses ACS scripts 997 and 996. I'm not sure if that might interfere with anything, but you can just change the numbers to anything.

EDIT: Whoops. I realized that the file I just linked only worked with my older modified PSXFDHUD.pk3 that you linked. I edited the link with a combined version.

That's clever stuff, Before you posted that mod I thought it was impossible to change the stats bar in game like that, amazing.
Am making a customizer tool that lets you toggle the addons/mods on and off. The Williams intro wont be included in the main TC download, those who want is can download the customizer and turn it on with the tool.
At the moment its got all the addons from my download post in it, including your changing status bar.
I think the wide screen fire and altered HUD graphics for widescreen should be added to the TC itself.
The HUD aspect ratio Ill pop into the customizer tool if you can separate as a individual mod.

It would be cool if someone made a unique lost levels status bar, then maybe you could code it to switch between the 3 of them.

There's no way to change the status bar aspect ratio in-game, and even if there was, all of the coordinates would need to be adjusted. So I think it's best to leave it matching PC Doom's proportions (as I have it set now). It could be done with separate SBARINFO.txts but that's it, it'd have to be chosen before startup. But considering the rest of the game is stretched vertically just like PC Doom I think it makes sense for the HUD to do so as well.

As for a Lost Levels status bar, yes, that would be trivial. It just needs graphics first :P

As for the Williams intro, I think that can actually be set as an ingame option. Maybe it can even set to be played on first run and then skipped afterwards. All it would require is checking/changing cvars, which mods can have their own of now.

MG_MAN - Have tried your new HUD PK3, great work and thanks for Scottgray for explaining how to install it properly.

I did have 2 very small problems with it though, for some reason where you've said "HUD has altered graphics for widescreen (the bar background extends across the black bars, works for both status bars)" - unfortunately for me it's only extending on the Doom Status Bar (For Ultimate Doom, Doom II, Lost Levels)
The Final Doom Bar is not extending (Master Levels, TNT, Plutonia - The brick background has gone, it's just black either side though, not extended)

Also when starting PSXDOOM.BAT, there is now a small red error line of text in the GZDoom loading window which says "Tried to register class "'IsFinalDoom' more than once" - this error doesn't occur if I remove PSXFDHUD.PK3 from PSXDOOM.CFG.

Still eventually starts up ok though.

Hopefully these are relatively quick fixes.

For Lost Levels, is it possible to change the SSG and status bar to the Final Doom equivalents between maps? The original PSX Doom segment is pretty short, but still, it looks a bit funny with the FD versions in those maps.

Francis, all I can say is that you must be loading it wrong. All you need is to put the the PSXFDHUD.pk3 in my post into your PSX Doom folder, and to run PSX Doom through PSXDOOM.BAT. Don't try to merge it into PSXDOOM.pk3 or anything. If you got the PSXWIDSC.pk3 I linked get rid of it, that wasn't the file I intended to link.

As for the SSG/Status Bar for Lost Levels, yes, it can be done. I'd have to look up what levels are from Final Doom or not first.

EDIT: So, correct me if I'm wrong, so Lost Levels maps 1-12 and 61-67 should use the original Doom HUD, right? And the rest are Final Doom HUD/SSG?

EDIT2: I noticed Icon of Sin is a combination of all of the MAP30s. Should it use Final Doom or Doom stuff?

EDIT3: Hmm. I don't think I can do it for Lost Levels. GetLevelInfo(LEVELINFO_LEVELNUM) returns 0 for every Lost Level map because the mapnames aren't using a MAP## or E#M# structure. I'm not sure of any other way to check the map number in ACS. It'll have to be all Doom or all Final Doom.

The only other way is to separate Lost Levels into separate clusters or for each map to have an explicitly defined LevelNum, but that would require changes on Lost Levels' part. I'll go ask about it over there.

EDIT4: Updated the addon to auto-select the FD SSG sprite only if in Final Doom. Like I said, no Lost Levels support yet, but it works for the regular TC content. Won't work if you have PSXSSG.pk3.
http://forum.zdoom.org/download/file.php?id=18371

So a thought, now that dev builds of GZDoom support subtractive translucency, obviously we're going to end up transitioning to using that instead of precolored, innaccurate sprites for the Nightmare Spectre.

At the same time, I think we might want to consider adding translucent and subtractive, double health variations of all monsters (or things if we were nuts). It was possible in the original game, but never utilized. Obviously none of these would make it to the main TC, or even Lost Levels due to authenticity, but they would be nice for add-on level creators. Basically, by including them in the main TC, it'll give standard DoomEd numbers for add-ons to use, instead of everyone adding these monsters themselves.

I was thinking about that myself. Also means the :Doom 64 in Doom 2 in PSX Doom" set will be able to have nightmare imps in PSX style.

I'd like to share this post I made in the PSX Lost Levels thread in hopes that it may help some of you enjoy this great TC even more:

Job said:

**Notes on Graphics Settings Below**

I would like to contribute something to assist with the testing of the Lost Levels pre-beta. Some of you mentioned issues with lighting in regard to authenticity to PSX Doom. Ever since I've been using the PSX TC, I have spent hours painstakingly tweaking the graphic settings in GZDoom to look as true to the original as possible. I would like to share the settings that are the closest fit to PSX Doom in my experience (which is literally days worth of hours spent on the original console versions):

Display Settings
Gamma 1.20
Brightness -0.2
Contrast 0.9
Vertical Sync off

Texture Options
Texture Filter Mode: None
Anistropic Filtering: 16x (this may vary)
Texture Format: RGBS_A1
Resize Textures/Sprites: Off
High Quality Textures: Off

Open GL Preferences
Sector Light Mode: Doom
Render Quality: Speed
Ambient Light Level: 120.0 (this is important)
Vertex Buffer: Off

Although some of these settings may be redundant for some users, it should be a very good starting point on most computers. Others may find this is the sweet spot as I did. Anyway, I hope this helps you as much as it did for me - it makes the levels a lot more immersive!

Ragnor said:

I was thinking about that myself. Also means the :Doom 64 in Doom 2 in PSX Doom" set will be able to have nightmare imps in PSX style.

Ha. And then everything gets out of hand when we get Nightmare Cyberdemons on Cat And Mouse homages.

I would just like to say at the point that, as someone who has tested it, the Nightmare Cacodemon looks like complete ass. Use the effect sparingly. Please.

Maybe this is normal PSX Doom behavior--I haven't played the real thing in ages--but I notice that neither of the status bars--classic or Final--seem to make the keycards blink when you try to open a door you don't have the proper key for. You click on a locked door and you hear the item pickup sound tone three times, but you don't see the keycard icon flashing in the bar. Maybe that was just exclusive to Doom 64.

Megamur said:

Maybe this is normal PSX Doom behavior--I haven't played the real thing in ages--but I notice that neither of the status bars--classic or Final--seem to make the keycards blink when you try to open a door you don't have the proper key for. You click on a locked door and you hear the item pickup sound tone three times, but you don't see the keycard icon flashing in the bar. Maybe that was just exclusive to Doom 64.

Not exclusive to Doom 64, the keycards do blink on the PSX version, I was quite baffled with that feature not working properly in the TC.

I think the main reason is that there isn't really a reliable way to do it in ZDoom. Doom64 EX has the benefit of having its own modified engine that can hardcode that functionality into the regular locked-door-notification functions. PSX Doom TC is merely a mod that doesn't have direct access to that kind of thing. The best the team could do was change the sound for a locked door to play the pickup sound 3 times to approximate it.

Having said that, I bet I might be able to figure out something. We didn't think it was possible to change the statusbar and SSG to Final Doom's automatically either, but it's been done.

Maybe each door could have a script that gives and takes an item three times, and SBARINFO would display a key icon for that item as if it were really a key. It would involve changing every locked linedef to call that script, though, so it would be a bit of an undertaking, especially with 162 maps to work through. ESPECIALLY if each linedef will end up needing its own script to perform its previous specific action. I'll try it out with a map or two to see how much work it really takes.

It might be a better idea to just suggest this for ZDoom. Probably could best be added as a property for LOCKDEFS. I don't know if it's been asked before.

I think you could probably take advantage of ZDoom's line translation feature for that, rather than altering every map. But really, I never really thought about it before, and it might not even be (easily) doable.

Do you mean XLAT? Yeah, that would be an easy way to get every locked door to execute a script, but for locked buttons and other things, they'd probably need their own specialized script for each switch to actually carry out its intended action besides toggling the key icon in the HUD.

scalliano said:

I would just like to say at the point that, as someone who has tested it, the Nightmare Cacodemon looks like complete ass. Use the effect sparingly. Please.

I'm not surprised; I think they just got lucky with how the Nightmare Spectre turned out.

After Job's lighting recommendations I thought I'd try this today with a DualShock 4, I used the tool from here to get it working properly: http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-DS4-To-XInput-Wrapper

Plays absolutely beautifully, much better then a DualShock 3 and the program to run it was more clean and simple then MotionInJoy.

I also copied controls from PSX/Final Doom for authenticity:

DPad = Backwards/Forwards/Turn Left/Right (NO analog sticks, all turned off under axis configuration)

Triangle = Fire
Square = Run
X = Strafe
Circle = Open Doors/Press Switches
L1/R1 = Strafe Left/Right
L2/R2 = Previous/Next Weapons
Share Button (Replaces Select Button) = Toggle Automap

francis247uk said:

After Job's lighting recommendations I thought I'd try this today with a DualShock 4, I used the tool from here to get it working properly: http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-DS4-To-XInput-Wrapper

Plays absolutely beautifully, much better then a DualShock 3 and the program to run it was more clean and simple then MotionInJoy.

I also copied controls from PSX/Final Doom for authenticity:

DPad = Backwards/Forwards/Turn Left/Right (NO analog sticks, all turned off under axis configuration)

Triangle = Fire
Square = Run
X = Strafe
Circle = Open Doors/Press Switches
L1/R1 = Strafe Left/Right
L2/R2 = Previous/Next Weapons
Share Button (Replaces Select Button) = Toggle Automap

Great idea. I've got a couple Playstation controllers kicking around the house. I'll have to give this a try. How did my suggested graphic settings work for you?

Since it's a wad file, do I have to drag and drop it with the Lost Levels (for example) everytime I want your spectre fix to work? Or can I rename the file extension to .PK3 and it will work in the background like the Final Doom SSG, etc?