Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ty Halderman

/idgames Archive in read-only mode

The archives are in read-only mode for a day or three. There were some known hard disk (hardware) issues and it looks like now's the time to replace things so please hold off on your magnum opus upload until things are back up.

Im getting this when trying to reply to the email from Ty:

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

thldrmn at abydos.com

Technical details of permanent failure:
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the server for the recipient domain abydos.com by c2.abydos.com. [67.215.232.165].

The error that the other server returned was:
550 5.1.1 <thldrmn@abydos.com>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in local recipient table.

So. Huh?

Yeah the whole server's down for now, and that's where the Abydos domain lives, so anything to my Abydos address will fail.

I'll post here when things are back up--it looks like perhaps they've used this opportunity for a server move they were going to do too.

Ty Halderman said:

Yeah the whole server's down for now, and that's where the Abydos domain lives, so anything to my Abydos address will fail.

I'll post here when things are back up--it looks like perhaps they've used this opportunity for a server move they were going to do too.

Any news, Ty? I'm getting a read-only message when trying to upload to the archives. I'm guessing it's because they're still performing maintenance. Just looking for a verification or maybe I'm doing something wrong :)

No, you're not doing anything wrong--they can serve it out read-only via the web so they're doing that in the meantime. I just dropped a note to Frans asking for an update and will post here whenever I find out more. We really expected to be able to recover/rebuild it over the weekend when it first happened, but I'm way outside the loop to be able to predict anything about their hardware.

Thanks for your patience (you and others).

Thanks for answering my question. We will patiently wait for them to finish and we'll be looking forward to getting an update from you :)

Latest info is as I thought: server is still read-only and barely hanging onto life as we know it. Might make it to the end of this, or might not. No worries about content--we have all that preserved--we just need to get the new hardware (which has arrived and is being set up) to the data center and active.

Current estimate is 1-2 weeks more, "real life willing." Will again post here when completed.

Should this thread maybe be stickied, at least until things are back up and running? I've pointed half a dozen people here at least, which is not to blame any of them because it's usually on page two and the thread title doesn't really reflect the current situation anyhow.

plums said:

Should this thread maybe be stickied, at least until things are back up and running? I've pointed half a dozen people here at least, which is not to blame any of them because it's usually on page two and the thread title doesn't really reflect the current situation anyhow.

Actually it probably should be split from the original as it's no longer discussing the process change, but just the outage. Whether or not the original thread should be stickied isn't my call. I can't do sticking or splitting anyway, but I bet we know someone who can...

I'd guess splitting to a new thread where I say "The archives are in read-only mode for a day or three." would be right, though there are a couple of posts intertwining the threads thereabouts. Then all that can drop off once the outage is over. Sorry for mixing the two.

Will the archives be back up before December 10th? :( I'm sure many of us are hoping that we can upload our, er, "magnum opus" before the Cacowards hit us.

I don't think the Cacoward judges like last minute releases, an official release a fortnight or more beforehand (even if it's on one of the less odious file sharing sites) is likely to fare better.

There's no requirement that a wad must be on /idgames to qualify for a Cacoward, for the record. The timing, though, is indeed a factor, although any projects that narrowly miss the window will be eligible for next years', of course.

From the looks of things, I'm not the only one. I thought my internet was screwy. I just now see this. When will the DIA (doom idgames archives) be back up? I need to upload version 2 of hells end.

Yeah it'll be a few weeks yet, looks like. Sorry (not that I have anything to do with it--I'm just another user from this point of view).

Is there some other mirror or public repository I can upload a WAD to this coming Tue, Dec. 10th for DOOM's 20th anniversary? I had hoped to make this WAD's release date coincide with DOOM's birthday. :)

Uploading to an /idgames mirror isn't supported so your best bet is probably one of the many file hosting services - preferably one that doesn't have download quotas, deletes files after a week's inactivity and/or forces downloaders to jump through hoops.

GreyGhost said:

Uploading to an /idgames mirror isn't supported so your best bet is probably one of the many file hosting services - preferably one that doesn't have download quotas, deletes files after a week's inactivity and/or forces downloaders to jump through hoops.

lol screw that. i'll just upload it to my personal website until /idgames is back up.

That's another option, though some web hosts are less understanding than others when it comes to hosting downloads on websites.

I noticed quite a decent amount of wads in /incoming: are the archives back up? It's, uhh, slightly confusing.

Well, it kinda looks like it Obsidian. After having read your message I successfully uploaded two levels to the incoming folder. And btw, it felt much smoother and faster than ever, very nice indeed.

Yes, it's back up as of some time yesterday. Didn't quite expect the instant flood of files (don't know why I didn't though) before the announcement.

I have some things to change to match the new system but I got the main ones done so once people verify emails we'll be back to normal. For example, the daily/hourly runs that update the LASTxxDAYS etc files aren't going yet.

Thanks for your patience, those of you who still had any.

Personally, no problem Ty! I think most reasonable people in here understands and respects the maintenance it's been through.

Btw, when I try and respond to the verification e-mail from you, I get:

Gmail shouts:

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

thldrmn@abydos.com

Technical details of permanent failure:
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the server for the recipient domain abydos.com by c2.abydos.com. [67.215.232.165].

The error that the other server returned was:
550 5.1.1 <thldrmn@abydos.com>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in local recipient table

Any idea what that is about?

Hi!

Well... I'm new here at DoomWorld and I need to say I have a mirrored copy of the /idgames, /idgames2 and /unreal archives in a hard-drive here (and a backup in another one). I have knowledge about the archives since 1996 when they were hosted at cdrom.com and since 1999 I always mirror them. But this is just for entertaining purposes and I think a lot of Doomers around the world make this too.

In the past I even contacted Mr. Ty Halderman three times by a personal e-mail (not the one I used to register this account here). The first time it was in 2005, 2008 and last year, 2012, only to tell him I found improper files at wrong locations and he fixed that.

I even created a Delphi program to parse the 'ls-laR' file, compare the directories, download the files, etc.

I really don't know if this is the end of the archives... well... since November, 2nd the /idgames archive is "read-only" and not counting the fact the /idgames2 and /unreal archives are read-only a long, long time ago.

But come on people... sometimes people get tired or have personal issues, I really don't know if it's the case of Mr. Halderman and I hope he doesn't get me wrong.

Well... considering the old Dukeworld archives (of the games Duke Nukem 3D and Shadow Warrior) that were hosted at cdrom.com and they are completely read-only now except at http://dukeworld.duke4.net/ this is totally okay for me. I mean... if the /idgames archive be eternally read-only that's cool!

Doom was released 20 years ago and people... It's an old game even with the most advanced source ports we have nowadays.

Anyway... I just wanted to say this, sorry for any inconvenience caused by this message, thanks for reading it and see ya! ;-)

Chris Hansen said:

Personally, no problem Ty! I think most reasonable people in here understands and respects the maintenance it's been through.

Btw, when I try and respond to the verification e-mail from you, I get:
[snip]
Any idea what that is about?

Yeah looks like that email account hasn't been re-enabled. I've sent a note to get that done and will reply again when it's back (or everyone can just keep hammering :) )

Ty Halderman said:

Yeah looks like that email account hasn't been re-enabled. I've sent a note to get that done and will reply again when it's back (or everyone can just keep hammering :) )

Cheers!