Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DeathevokatioN

Playing Doom with John Romero

I know someone in her late twenties who used to suffer motion sickness but can now sit on her bum in front of her PS3 for hours with no trouble. I'm not sure that there's an age-related cause. Brains are just weird.

I know that in the past I've felt that same car sickness just from looking at school buses, after a particularly unpleasant field trip. Motion sickness while gaming may have a lot to do with hidden associations, past experiences and your expectations, but the exact factors could be impossible to nail down.

Anyways I watched this video and I enjoyed it. I felt a savoury mixture of pride and shame, knowing that I'm better at this game than he is.

Watched this last night. It's a great video, and it was nice to see some of the points from my analysis of E1M1 confirmed :) Interesting how he did the first level last.

I agree with everyone else who would love to see some more Romero levels. I can't imagine anyone here being hostile towards anything he put out. Modern Doom level authors may have honed the art, but Doom Episode 1 is timeless and special. I never get tired of those levels and I'd love to see more of them.

A while back I contacted John about releasing the DoomEd source. I offered to port it to modern systems (Mac OS X is basically NeXT, it might not be all that difficult). If he wants his old tool again then I'm happy to help out on that front.

This is without a doubt the single best DOOM-related video I've ever seen. John Romero himself playing through the entire first episode and not just describing how the levels were made but also providing numerous interesting facts about the development of the game as a whole... it's an hour and thirty minutes' worth of one DOOMgasm after another!

Good stuff. Too bad IGN didn't get other id Software DOOMers like John Carmack to play too. It would bw awssome to have the original four guys playing co-op!

ant said:

Good stuff. Too bad IGN didn't get other id Software DOOMers like John Carmack to play too. It would bw awssome to have the original four guys playing co-op!

They might start fragging each other and never leave Map01...

Fine journalism btw, thoroughly enjoyable.

Soundblock said:

They might start fragging each other and never leave Map01...

Fine journalism btw, thoroughly enjoyable.

Uh, don't you mean E1M1? DOOM 2 has map01. ;)

Soundblock said:

They might start fragging each other and never leave Map01

That's what my friends did when I first played Doom at a LAN party then everyone left the game, it was quite disappointing for me then lol.

Yeah, John's comments about how the bar is too high in the mapping community seems especially ironic when you consider how much time a whole team of community mappers took to master their '93/'94 design style, DTWID, D2TWID. Old school maps are still where it's at for me. Seeing imps and zombie/former humans up to the same old tricks in ultra detailed, realistic, high res environments never really clicked for me.

Enjoyed the video, btw. This is the second best Doom video after 'A Visit to Id Software'.

I watched this through m4 the other day. I was getting irritated by the fanboyism from the interviewer. You could even tell Romero was like "yeah whatever" for a lot of it.