Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mattfrie1

PSX Doom/Final Doom TC (Legacy TC, See first post for details)

No, right now you'll need to load it with -file/drag and drop. (The same would be true for a PK3 as well, the TC is just set up to load the addons if they're present.) We'll work it in officially at some point, and likely ditch the current Nightmare Spectres as soon as an official GZDoom version with subtractive translucency support is released.

scalliano said:

Oh, that does look good. Far more defined than what it would normally look like.

Job said:

I like it. You know what'd be scary? Honestly. A Knightmare (nightmare HK) or a Baron of Nightmares, heh.

I've taken a look at how they appear. Barons aren't too bad (still not great, mind) because they share the same colour as the Demon. Hellknights however just look like big blue sheets.

They all look good, but the best by far is the Mancubus, looks like a shadow monster made of swirling smoke.

I can see these used in a creepy mapset that eventually spirals into a shadow realm with nothing but nightmare monsters :D

Personally, I think the ones without any mechanical/cybernetic parts look best with the Nightmare flag, but as I've been working on implementing them in Threshold, I've come across a few strange side effects, mostly to do with palette degradation. As with the Cacodemon, the gib and crush sprites are almost completely flat-shaded, and (while not strictly relevant to the TC) you need to be very careful with custom blood colours.

What I'm interested in seeing eventually is authors creating new enemies based around this effect, but let's be careful ;)

scalliano said:

Personally, I think the ones without any mechanical/cybernetic parts look best with the Nightmare flag

To be honest I'm feeling the same way; all the metallic tones just end up as flat dark shade (look at that Mastermind!) and the monsters themselves look a bit shit when actually moving around.

Barons, Cacos and Imps look okay (although the Imps look like they find something vaguely amusing), but it looks goofy as fuck to see regular old projectiles fly out of them.

How does the Revenant look while in action? The form of a skeleton draped in transparent-black looked pretty cool at first glance.

BaronOfStuff said:

Barons, Cacos and Imps look okay (although the Imps look like they find something vaguely amusing), but it looks goofy as fuck to see regular old projectiles fly out of them.

For ToP, I have the Imps firing the double-speed purple fireballs a la Doom 64, which is a bit less jarring. Haven't decided what to do with the Caco projectiles yet, but already it's treading into the territory of artistic licence, given that the N-Caco's behaviour is based on the old Absolution TC. But then, I'm not aiming for pinpoint accuracy.

My experiments continue ...

Thats V2.133 posted and the customizer tool.
your existing PSXDOOM.CFG will interfere with the customizer, so delete it and let the bat file make a new one.
If it doesn't run download the dot NET 4 and C++ Redistributables on the post and install them. I got it running on WinXP SP3 but that's a far back as it will go.

Hey, first of all I want to say that I really appreciate the effort you guys are putting on this, thanks!

BTW, The reason I registered on these forums is that I was going to report 3 bugs (some switches on certain maps were not working properly) but I just checked the latest version and they're all fixed now...

I found the customizer tool (on the latest version) a nice addition. I personally liked the new option to have the changing status bar depending on which map you're playing. Can't the same be done with the loading/pause bars as well as the SSG HUD sprite? The SSG Hud sprite is questionable, but the Loading and the Pause graphics are a nobrainer IMO...

MG_Man made the changing status bar mod and I believe he's working on a changing SSG sprites mod. I'll look into the loading/pause bars but am not sure if it can be done the same way. Ill keep including new mods in the customizer tool as they come out. I recon if we can get changing Loading and pause bars to work we should consider integrating them along with the changing status bars and changing SSG sprites into the TC. And maybe even a new third style for the Lost levels

I think some of the bugs were accidental regressions to older versions, because I remember them being fixed before, like the secret area bug in Nessus where the bfg is was definitely fixed before, it might have just been some weirdness caused when we converted all the maps from Hexen to UDMF format.

You don't get stuck in the BFG room now Nessus Is ok and all the other fixes were included. I tried to do something with the graphic problem on Twilight Descends NightFright pointed out, but its lead the same sort of thing happening on the wall to the left, i recon it still looks better though

One thing that seems to have regressed at some point is that certain compatibility settings aren't being set now. The most obvious is that weapons are being dropped Heretic style instead of just spawning on the ground. I know the important ones are set in mapinfo, but I'm almost certain the batch file used to set the cosmetic ones too.

A non-important inquiry: what happened to the file size of the PSXDoom archive between versions 2.132 and 2.133 (it lost over 10MB)? What changed?

I already finished the automatic SSG part. I updated the link in the original post. (but here it is anyways http://forum.zdoom.org/download/file.php?id=18405 )

Remember - it won't work if the old PSXSSG.pk3 is in the folder! Since that replaces the regular SSG sprites, it would just make it look like the Final Doom SSG all the time. It also isn't compatible with the PC timings/balance mod, but you shouldn't really be using that anyways.

The only thing that doesn't work is the SSG changing for the Lost Levels Final Doom maps. But that's because they need to change map clusters on their end, and they will. I've already added the checks for it so it should work as soon as Lost Levels is updated with it without needing to replace my addon.

As for loading icons, well since those are only called up during the endgame text maps as far as I know then they can be tweaked on each of those maps individually. For Pause you're out of luck. There's no way to change that in-game.

The Williams sequence was removed from the PSXDoom.pk3 thats why its smaller.
Ill work the changing SSG mod in the customizer tool.
Dragon can you remember what compatibility settings are missing from the batch file?

My mistake, that one is defined in MAPINFO and does correctly apply in the main TC. It's only an issue in Lost Levels. It looks like defaultmap properties need to be defined in each MAPINFO, I just assumed setting it in the main TC meant it would be good in any addons as well.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/dtcmhhdaspdeeak/psxdoom_ost-music_v3.3.zip
updated the OST music tool, Its batch file now writes its own zmapinfo, defining defaultmap properties, it automatically includes the zmapinfo in the psxtcmus.pk3, it now only writes map entries for the bonus tracks that are present. so if you haven't got them all you wont come across levels with no music.

If any of the lost levels wish to use any of the bonus tracks just let me know and ill write it into the tools batch file.

Excellent, thanks for that! Now I shouldn't need to rebuild the music list with every new TC version, found out the other day my efforts had been nuked again when I was attempting to try out the new music in Lost Levels (I'll figure out an alternate soundtrack even if I'm the only one who's interested, MARK MY WORDS!)

Question about the batch file in the main TC (The one that pulls in all the files together): Is it meant to mess up my graphics settings? Ive tuned GZDoom to get rid of the horrible blurring in the textures and sprites that come default with the port and it reverts back to that with the batch file

psxdoom.bat has GL_TEXTURE_FILTER "1", which is no filtering (nearest mini map.) it shouldn't be blurring your textures, what version of GZdoom are you running?

Send me your music track to map list and ill make you up a custom OST batch tool.

I upgraded to 1.8.2 a short while ago, pretty sure things still looked off to me. Maybe I need to redownload a new TC version. Its 2.1 something

Dragonsbrethen said he was okay with an alternate soundtrack for LL, if noone else makes any suggestions, I'll think of a place for each track, the problem track for me is always Psychotecnicha, I can never truly figure out what that track is supposed to sound like. I have at least one slot for everything but that track and Sufficate so far, just need to get the track into the ZMAPINFO and hear it ingame once I think of some good placements.

Currently I have
Total Lamentation: (PSXMUS21)
Spirit World

Sufficate: (PSXMUS22)
NA

Plague Rats: (PSXMUS23)
Sewers, both the UD map and the Plutonia map

Darker Than Blackness (finmus11)
Bloodsea Keep, Betray

Psychotechnica:
NA (I'm leaning towards one of Sverre's master levels)

Warbled Logic:
TEETH, Odyssey of Noises

I'd really appreciate some help finding good matches for these tracks, epsecially the two I cant think of a good map for. Sufficate sounds ideal for a couple of short claustrophobic maps in particular

A couple of optional visual extras for anyone interested in such trivial stuff:
1) In the console version, the Lost Soul used different sprites for the SKULA1 and SKULB1 frames than what you see in most PC IWAD versions (including every version of Doom II). You can use this file if you want that 0.1% extra visual accuracy present in your TC.
2) For all you real weirdos out there that want even more accuracy, this file contains all the monster, item and decoration sprites straight from the PSX IWAD, complete with offsets and odd differences when compared directly to their PC counterparts.

Does it also have the weird weapon offsets, like the cocking shotgun that seems to just stay in one place and rotate a bit instead of being properly pulled up and to the left? And the ugly PSX SSG? (Not the Final Doom one. The thinner, pixelated one from the original PSX Doom.)

There's no weapons in there just monsters, items and decorations. The weapon sprite are way to low rez to use, the look bad.
I thought we included these in the TC at some point, version 2 or 2.1, why were they removed?

Hm. You know that slow in-and-out fading glow effect that's used in some of the PSX Doom levels? Like that dark section (sector 52) after you pass through the blue door right at the end of MAP05? I was playing using Job's lighting settings, and I noticed that this exposed a bit of a glitch with that lighting effect.

You see, when the ambient light level is turned up in GZDoom options, that more or less keeps the lowest ends of Doom's sector brightness levels from appearing at all. A sector with its brightness set at 72 will look just like one with its brightness at 16. However, regardless of the ambient light, brightness set at 0 is pure black.

Therefore, when this glow effect cranks the brightness down, it apparently shifts down to a brightness level of 0 for a split-second. This means, in sectors using this effect, the sector will flash black briefly before glowing again, if you have your ambient light level turned up.

Would it be possible to use a glow script that turns the brightness down to 8 instead of 0 at its darkest point, in order to avoid this issue? Obviously, the maps that use this effect would all have to be recalibrated using this new script. I just wonder if it's actually possible to do.

Ah, nice to see that my little contributions to this TC are used in a more convenient way now. Thanks ScottGray!
Btw I wanted to ask/talk about a few things.

1. I think it was already mentioned in the thread but PSXDoom isn't working with recent GZDoom SVNs from the getgo. At some point it should be modified unless there is a reason against it.

2. I'm not an expert regarding PSXDoom. As I created the PC difficulty mod (PCDFCLT.pk3) I was wondering why every actor has a scale parameter of 0.92. Back then I just left the value as it is, but it would be nice to know what's the reason for that.

3. Since the introduction of the sector light mode "software" in gzdoom I always prefered this option. I thought maybe this would help with the problem of Megamur in the post above but in PSXDoom however it leads to pitch black sectors. Just play E1M1 with it and you'll see what I mean. Isn't the doom engine of the psx port the same as the pc one except for colored sectors? In that case the "software" mode should be the best choice in recreating the psxdoom look.

No, the PSX renderer is significantly brighter (probably why sectors were darkened to begin with) and handles distance fading more simplistically. GZDoom's bright option (which we set the maps to use in MAPINFO) is the most bearable, but you really still need a little gamma correction to get it close to what the real PSX version looks like.

I've given up on just using ambient lighting since it makes the bright sectors too bright without doing enough to the dark sectors. Gamma correction has the bad side effect of making all the interface graphics look faded out, though. Job's lighting settings didn't really work well on my monitor, it was still very dark.

Megamur said:

Would it be possible to use a glow script that turns the brightness down to 8 instead of 0 at its darkest point, in order to avoid this issue? Obviously, the maps that use this effect would all have to be recalibrated using this new script. I just wonder if it's actually possible to do.

This doesn't really fix the problem though, it just hides it somewhat. Those sectors are supposed to fade to black, so turning up the ambient level ruins this regardless. I just fiddled with my brightness and contrast settings until I got it where I could see without screwing with the ambient light level.

Sp00kyFox said:

Since the introduction of the sector light mode "software" in gzdoom I always prefered this option. I thought maybe this would help with the problem of Megamur in the post above but in PSXDoom however it leads to pitch black sectors. Just play E1M1 with it and you'll see what I mean. Isn't the doom engine of the psx port the same as the pc one except for colored sectors? In that case the "software" mode should be the best choice in recreating the psxdoom look.

Not really. The renderer is somewhat different from any other Doom renderer. As a matter of fact, PlayStation Doom applies light fading to walls and floors separately (floors start fading sooner and transition slower, where the walls start fading much further away and transition faster), whereas vanilla Doom and source ports apply them equally. While this was easy to do in PS Doom considering how it renders a scene, it probably wouldn't be very easy to emulate in a source port.