Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

Cacowards 2014 nomination thread

As always, this is where you can post your nominations for this year's Cacowards. Awards are not made on the basis of popularity and votes will not be formally counted. Please provide links and keep discussion to a minimum!

PSX Doom: Lost Levels for sure.

And of course, TNT2: Devilution, because theres no way that can take another year, surely (Even though everyone but me and Megamur is awol right now)

I wouldnt possibly pass up the chance to nominate Sverre Kvernmo's Plasmaplant, the beta is truly amazing and his skills havent dulled at all in his long Doom absence

I have high hopes for D2:INO, but I havent playtested that, and I'm also hoping for Doom 64 in Doom 2.

Darch said:

Graf Zahl and Randi for the Espi Award.

So, the Espi Award will be a recurrent category? I though it was just a 20 years special award.
In that case, +1 for Randy and Graf.

Ragnor said:

And of course, TNT2: Devilution, because theres no way that cane take another year, surely
I have high hopes for D2:INO, but I havent playtested that, and I'm also hoping for Doom 64 in Doom 2.

We will see about that!

espi award consideration for either Ralphis (IDL founder, odamex) Scuba Steve (cacowards for 8 years, Action Doom as an influential wad) or randi ('nuff said)

I'd like to nominate Ty Halderman for Espi Award. The main reason, of course, is his continued maintenance of the /idgames archive, but that should not make one forget his earlier role in TeamTNT.

Mike Lightner is also a worthy contender, for creating Odamex, giving an ad-free home to the Doom Wiki, rescuing DRD Team, hosting a number of sites great and small that are useful to various members of the community, and contributing voice acting to mods such as Urban Brawl.

Maybe bad idea with Espi award since it isn't tied to the year. Like there are/were 9000 awesome people in the Doom community that deserve the award but you can give only one per year so not everyone who deserves it will get it. Also for example it's impossible to decide whether Ty Halderman or Graf Zahl should get it this year, so it's kind of a shitty situation.
A separate page for that stuff would be better I think.

I'm nominating Visions of Eternity. Rock solid episodes that just missed the cut for 2013 consideration. Could reasonably just be considered a fifth Doom episode, just as it shows on the selection screen.

Gez said:

I'd like to nominate Ty Halderman for Espi Award. The main reason, of course, is his continued maintenance of the /idgames archive, but that should not make one forget his earlier role in TeamTNT.

Mike Lightner is also a worthy contender, for creating Odamex, giving an ad-free home to the Doom Wiki, rescuing DRD Team, hosting a number of sites great and small that are useful to various members of the community, and contributing voice acting to mods such as Urban Brawl.

Seconded. Or is it Fourthed if there's two things you agree with?

There's literally dozens of people I can think of that should be considered for an espi award. Ty Halderman is a no brainer though.. I would consider him a vital organ of the Doom community.

Although not as prolific as the above nominations, I'd love to see someone attempt to write up a comprehensive Espi Award for gggmork.

+1 Visions of Eternity and D64 for D2 (if it's finished in time) for best wad
+1 Ty Halderman for lifetime achivement, but Randy would be a good one too

Honestly I don't see a problem in giving the Espi award to more than one person, otherwise chances are a lot of people that deserve it won't ever receive it. But, of course, that's just my opinion.

Captain Ventris said:

We are sort of 20 years behind on Espi awards. Doing them in clusters might be a good idea, at least for a few years.

If we are twenty years behind, shouldn't we start with Romero or something?

The idea of a "lifetime" award isn't "this person has been really important that one time", it's "this person has consistently contributed to the community for years".

Once Doom's development was over, Romero's involvement with the community has mostly consisted of answering questions about the past. I probably sound ungrateful, which isn't the intent; I'm not trying to diminish the importance of his role. But the Espi Award for Lifetime Achievement isn't proper token of recognition for him and the other Idboys from the 90s.

Agreed. Carmack would be ahead of Romero anyways, because he went back and released the source code. Still, I find a bit silly that the lifetime achievement discussion basically usurped the thread. It's still December and people are furiously trying to zero in on the next most worthy candidate. If big time famous awards teach us anything, it's that lifetime achievements are handed out to either veterans not expected to last till the next year (not our case, hopefully), or underdog picks, because committees dislike looking useless by just nodding to the public favourite. Parade a name all too often and you may just be building subconscious resentment towards it.

I'm thinking the DMP2013 might be worth one. There are definitely weak maps but look to be a fair deal of strong ones (more than 2012).

Probably worth considering if there are at least 25 (give or take) high quality maps.