Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
odysseyofnoises

Want to recolor demons like in pzmxmas.wad

I was playing through pzmxmas.wad today, and the thing that really stood out to me were the yellow demons. Play the thing to see what I'm talking about. I want to use those in my wad but it seems that the ones from this wad use the hell knight sprite names so I basically don't have the right sprites because of rotations and missing frame or whatnot. Can anyone make/give me the necessary sprites for a complete demon, recolored exactly like they have it?

You could get SLADE 3 and do that yourself. It's pretty easy. Open a Doom IWAD, select all the demon sprites (SARG*), right click->graphics->colour remap, and play with the translation options!

Once you're satisfied, apply the translation, and copy the sprites to some PWAD. Save.

Yeah, I've already tried to do that. I can't get it to match exactly how it is in that wad, I just can't find the right color translations... Guess I'll just have to keep trying till eternity or until I find something that works for me and my OCD lol

I think I'll try to reverse engineer the conversion pixel-by-pixel the other person used to make it yellow. I'll try to turn it back to pink and note the colors I select. Hah I feel like I'm working in a laboratory or something.

odysseyofnoises said:

I want to use those in my wad but it seems that the ones from this wad use the hell knight sprite names so I basically don't have the right sprites because of rotations and missing frame or whatnot.

?
I just batch-renamed the sprites, changing BOS2 to SARG, and didn't get any missing sprites. Here is the wad with them if you want it: http://speedy.sh/CPvGj/yelpinky.WAD

By the way, it would be super mega ultra zeta cool if someone wrote a tool that takes the original sprites, the recolored sprites and tells what color translations were used. Because I was in a similar situation once and I couldn't find the perfect color translations.

Ah, now I see what you mean. Does it look retarded in that wad as well? If no, you can probably modify the demon in dehacked to use these sprites in the same way hell knights use them. I find all the state stuff quite confusing though so someone else would have to help you with that.

Well, I've kind of already started to reverse engineer it, so, I don't feel like stopping and having all my effort wasted now lol. And yeah the demons' walk did look retarded in the pzmxmas wad

Memfis said:

By the way, it would be super mega ultra zeta cool if someone wrote a tool that takes the original sprites, the recolored sprites and tells what color translations were used. Because I was in a similar situation once and I couldn't find the perfect color translations.

It's something I thought about doing in SLADE 3. There's just the problem of what to do when a same source color is translated to multiple destination colors in different pixels.

You could simplify it a bit:

"16:19=226:227", "20:20=160:160", "21:21=228:228", "22:25=249:249", "26:41=161:167", "42:42=148:148", "43:46=74:76", "47:47=151:151", "58:79=112:125", "147:149=119:122", "161:166=114:120", "177:177=231:231", "180:184=163:164", "214:220=112:119"

Yeah, I figured many of the strings I wrote initially were able to be combined and redundant. So yeah those simplified ones are the real, final strings. Amazing how we recovered those 14 strings. I think my next mini project will be to make the archvile white, based on the tornado demon's sprites.