Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
fraggle

Vanilla mappers: How much of a problem is the BLOCKMAP limit?

Speaking of header redundancy, while investigating Mocha's demo compatibility, I discovered that an apparently "harmless" optimization I had made, which skipped the first element in a blockchain (on the grounds that it was always (?) 0x0000 and thus redundant) resulted in mysterious demo desyncs in one of the Plutonia IWAD's demos which formerly functioned correctly even within Mocha Doom (!).

So what gives? Is the "zero linedef" header really necessary in checks, or do some blockmaps actually carry an information payload there? Only an analysis will tell....again, I wonder if this is a common optimization/option for some nodebuilders.

In any case, all those tricks really result in scrounging the bottom of the barrel for a handful of bytes...

Maes said:

So what gives? Is the "zero linedef" header really necessary in checks, or do some blockmaps actually carry an information payload there?

It's possible that some blockmap builders already assume that a leading "0" is redundant, so just start using the first entry to include real lines. The redundant header is just like having linedef #0 in every block.

Back to business: I started experimenting with my ideas. The output below is from my test script trying every (16, 16) block alignment and counting the number of intersections between lines and the block grid at that alignment.

You can see that a +(64, 64) offset is a very good choice (4788 intersections) while a +(80, 112) offset would be a very bad one (5738 intersections).

The level I'm testing with has 8129 linedefs, so you can assume that each line has to appear in at least one block, and each time there's an intersection it appears in another block. As a (very rough) estimate, that's (8129 + 4788) * 2 = 25834 bytes for the best case and (8129 + 5738) * 2 = 27734 bytes for the worst. That saves a couple of KB (about 7%), which isn't much - I was hoping for more. The effectiveness of this technique probably depends very much on the level geometry.

8129 linedefs
0, 0: 4881 intersections
0, 16: 5269 intersections
0, 32: 5042 intersections
0, 48: 5284 intersections
0, 64: 4861 intersections
0, 80: 5270 intersections
0, 96: 5047 intersections
0, 112: 5297 intersections
16, 0: 5241 intersections
16, 16: 5629 intersections
16, 32: 5402 intersections
16, 48: 5644 intersections
16, 64: 5221 intersections
16, 80: 5630 intersections
16, 96: 5407 intersections
16, 112: 5657 intersections
32, 0: 4967 intersections
32, 16: 5355 intersections
32, 32: 5128 intersections
32, 48: 5370 intersections
32, 64: 4947 intersections
32, 80: 5356 intersections
32, 96: 5133 intersections
32, 112: 5383 intersections
48, 0: 5215 intersections
48, 16: 5603 intersections
48, 32: 5376 intersections
48, 48: 5618 intersections
48, 64: 5195 intersections
48, 80: 5604 intersections
48, 96: 5381 intersections
48, 112: 5631 intersections
64, 0: 4808 intersections
64, 16: 5196 intersections
64, 32: 4969 intersections
64, 48: 5211 intersections
64, 64: 4788 intersections
64, 80: 5197 intersections
64, 96: 4974 intersections
64, 112: 5224 intersections
80, 0: 5322 intersections
80, 16: 5710 intersections
80, 32: 5483 intersections
80, 48: 5725 intersections
80, 64: 5302 intersections
80, 80: 5711 intersections
80, 96: 5488 intersections
80, 112: 5738 intersections
96, 0: 5060 intersections
96, 16: 5448 intersections
96, 32: 5221 intersections
96, 48: 5463 intersections
96, 64: 5040 intersections
96, 80: 5449 intersections
96, 96: 5226 intersections
96, 112: 5476 intersections
112, 0: 5320 intersections
112, 16: 5708 intersections
112, 32: 5481 intersections
112, 48: 5723 intersections
112, 64: 5300 intersections
112, 80: 5709 intersections
112, 96: 5486 intersections
112, 112: 5736 intersections

An even sadder way to scrounge for bytes: Since vanilla actually uses signed pointers to blockchains, if you can somehow guarantee that when loading a level, the lump before BLOCKMAP (which is REJECT, another sad story...) will be contiguous or at least within a predictable offset from BLOCKMAP, you could store some blockchains in there, which would then be pointed to by those "negative pointers"...Hmm...maybe that's what's really going on with some "corrupt" REJECT lumps on some PWADs? O_o

The spec may say Signed, but I assume Unsigned, and many of the generators are not paying attention.
If you assume Unsigned, then the pointer space is 128K. You only need to recognize 0xFFFF (instead of testing for -1). This is already compatible with generators like the one they used for Europe.wad.

Being that Europe.wad rolled the pointer over 3 times, I don't think it stayed within the 128K pointer limit. Don't know right now about any other limits.

Entries sharing the empty blockmap is the biggest gain in compression.
They can all point to the one, 0xFFFF.

Any changes that make the blockmap less accurate is going to cause problems. You cannot assume about other ports, some of us have some new and innovative ways to use existing data. I would not know of conflicts within DoomLegacy code until it was tried.
I would oppose any format that cannot be expanded back into a fully accurate blockmap.

Are you really trying to invent more compression schemes that can be handled by vanilla code, or are you trying to invent a way to encode more pointer space.

One idea would have the writer align all blocks on 16 bit boundaries in the blockmap, then drop the redundant lower 4 bits in the pointers.
It is really an index instead of a pointer.
The reader can then regenerate unaligned blocks as it reads, by re-adjusting into 32 bit pointers. I did not go and examine the blockmap format to how much effect this has.

wesleyjohnson said:

Are you really trying to invent more compression schemes that can be handled by vanilla code, or are you trying to invent a way to encode more pointer space.

The former. Extending the format with 32-bit blockmap pointers and even linedef pointers plus unlimited disk space would be trivial, if vanilla compatibility wasn't a requirement. The extension to 128 KB by using unsigned pointers is more of a de-facto standard for Boom maps, which just happens to be backwards-compatible with vanilla blockmaps (but vanilla Doom is not forwards-compatible with it).

Maes said:

An even sadder way to scrounge for bytes: Since vanilla actually uses signed pointers to blockchains, if you can somehow guarantee that when loading a level, the lump before BLOCKMAP (which is REJECT, another sad story...) will be contiguous or at least within a predictable offset from BLOCKMAP, you could store some blockchains in there, which would then be pointed to by those "negative pointers"...Hmm...maybe that's what's really going on with some "corrupt" REJECT lumps on some PWADs? O_o

Won't work. Remember that lumps are cached into memory by the zone memory system. Location on disk isn't location in memory. You could maybe do something with the fact that the REJECT lump is loaded before the BLOCKMAP lump and make assumptions about where they're going to be put in memory because of that but it's never going to be deterministic and ... I really just don't want to even go there.

fraggle said:

make assumptions about where they're going to be put in memory

But... but...

:-(

Just an idea, since my knowledge of Doom engine code is virtually nil, but could you save some space, and speed up blockmap processing, by adding dummy linedefs, post node-building, that simplify lines with multiple sections?

E.g. in the image below, the lines on the left could be represented by those on the right for the purposes of collision detection. Since they wouldn't belong to any segs, they wouldn't be rendered, but they could be included in blocklists.

That's a fairly restrictive scenario, but I don't see why it shouldn't work. The only catch is that it would make a map virtually uneditable, if you opened it up in any editor.

Jonathan said:

Just an idea, since my knowledge of Doom engine code is virtually nil, but could you save some space, and speed up blockmap processing, by adding dummy linedefs, post node-building, that simplify lines with multiple sections?

Took me a couple of minutes to understand exactly what you were proposing here, but yes, that possibly could work. But I think it would be too difficult in practise to actually write a blockmap builder that did this.

You'd have to impose careful restrictions on the linedefs you're merging - eg. you can't mix impassible and passible lines, and you can't use it for special lines. I wonder if there are other gotchas that might make it completely unworkable: for example, I believe the engine requires all lines to have a front sidedef, which means the lines have to belong to a sector. I wonder if having overlapping sectors like that might be problematic as well (I think probably not, but I'm not sure).

As with all these ideas it's a matter of cost/benefit. I'm skeptical of how much space a trick like this would actually save.

Maes said:

But... but...

Even if it could be made to work in DOS with Vanilla Doom, I don't think you can rely on it *always* working. For example, REJECT and BLOCKMAP are probably usually located consecutively in memory. But if your heap is fragmented (after playing through several levels, or after restarting the game or loading/saving several times) then you can't be sure that assumption holds, even in Vanilla. It's a clever trick but it's a recipe for nasty, difficult to reproduce bugs.

wesleyjohnson said:

Any changes that make the blockmap less accurate is going to cause problems. You cannot assume about other ports, some of us have some new and innovative ways to use existing data. I would not know of conflicts within DoomLegacy code until it was tried.
I would oppose any format that cannot be expanded back into a fully accurate blockmap.

The former, not the latter. The objective/challenge is to write a blockmap builder that can fit large levels below the Vanilla 64k limit. I'm not interested in defining new standards or formats for blockmap lumps. This investigation has nothing to do with Chocolate Doom.

I'm pretty sure that none of what I'm proposing ought to break any existing ports, unless you can provide a counterexample. I already provided something of an answer this in reply to Maes here ("I'm pretty sure this isn't a problem..." onwards).