Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Superluigieth1

What's Doom 4's Future?

Either Doom 4's development seizes all-together, is switched to another company, or id releases it a few years down the road and it's a rushed and bloated mess.

Marnetmar said:

Either Doom 4's development seizes all-together, is switched to another company, or id releases it a few years down the road and it's a rushed and bloated mess.

This makes me very sad...If id fucks up I think it will be the end of their company and they know it.

DooM_RO said:

This makes me very sad...If id fucks up I think it will be the end of their company and they know it.

I definitely agree with you.

Marnetmar said:

or id releases it a few years down the road and it's a rushed and bloated mess.

Will it be like Quake II? It just has the name of "Doom", but it's completely diffrent.

Part of me is almost naively faithful that id really wants to make the new Doom game they've been envisioning for years, and will continue development, despite their managerial struggles. Then there's a more cynical side to me that, like some of you, is assuming this is the end and we won't get our precious sequel.

I still think that id's decision to can Call of Doom indicates a sense of passion about the franchise; wanting to make it a legit game and not just a cash cow. But clearly there's an identity crisis. What does Doom really mean in the 21st century? Do you cater to the hardcore fans wanting another old school, labyrinthine shooter? Do you try to compromise and add new school elements? Should it be campy and gratuitous, serious and horrifying, fast and intense? Everything and more? I can understand why id is having so much trouble figuring out how to approach this.

ID Software is known for making really good game engines, mostly due to John Carmack's genius. Lately, the ID's games aren't as good as the way they used to be. Personally, I just don't see Doom 4 being a big hit because of their reputation from the 2000's- present. "Rage" was actually pretty decent compared to the 2009 Wolfesntein and Doom 3. ID needs to focus more on gameplay and level design than just storylines and pretty graphics.

doomguy93 said:

ID needs to focus more on gameplay and level design than just storylines and pretty graphics.

*cough* *cough* Bethesda owning ID *cough* *cough*

Superluigieth1 said:

*cough* *cough* Bethesda owning ID *cough* *cough*

lol I agree. Bethesda has ID Software by the balls man.

And that's a very good thing considering the stupid shit Id continually does. They wanted to make RAGE 2...while their fucking flagship game was in deep trouble. Bethesda did the right thing and stopped it.

Id's "this new game is going to be the fucking TITS!" approach was exciting in the 90s when they were churning out cutting-edge stuff. These days, when there is nothing whatsoever to show of Doom 4 and Id Software seems increasingly irrelevant, it looks like a bunch of noobs shouting about nothing.

There are reasons people are playing Doom/Doom 2/Final Doom twenty years after their release, when everyone has already forgotten Halo 3, Modern Warfare 2 and Killzone Whatever. Are any other games of that vintage still so popular?

I reckon that unless Doom 4 is a fast paced shooter with emphasis on mass carnage, it'll be obsolete six months after its release, just like many other FPS games - including Doom 3 and Quake 4.

William Blazkowicz said:

I feel like Doom 4 will be the ID/Bethesda equivalent of Half Life 3 if you can get what I am saying.

If I went to Quakecon this year, I would ask the guys at id "So what's going one with Half Life 3?" wink wink

I understand new games can't be done the same way as older games and I was fine with Doom 3 being different, however the only thing that concerns me with Doom 4 is the chance of it being made more casual than Doom 3 with things like regen-health instead of medkits, umlimited ammo crates instead of seperate ammo containers, and dare I say weapon carry limits.

Tim Willits said he wasn't happy with all modern changes, carrying restrictions among them. As for the health, I find the system in Wolfenstein to be very elegant and would love to see it in D4. Don't forget that Doom was a pretty casual game, they added Nightmare in a patch because people thought UV was too easy.

Touchdown said:

There's zero chance for D4 info this year. Maybe after Wolf ships, further into 2015.

Wolf comes out Q1 this year. Expecting news before Q2 is more than unreasonable.

I wouldn't expect Wolf to come out before second half of 2014, maybe even late 2014. It would stun me if it came out in the first half. I don't see D4 news coming out before 2015 if not further.

I'm afraid it's looking a bit bleak. Duke Nukem Forever showed what a super long development cycle can cause. I just hope if it is ever released, it's not a clusterf*** like DNF was. Oh well, we live in hope. I'd even buy a good mission pack for Doom 3, but that won't be happening.