Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dg93

**Deathmatch Revival** FINISHED!

Hi,

Here ya go :)

It is small arena style map. Ideally four or less players although there are eight spawn points. It's basic and need beautification and the style might not suit, but hey, it's different!!

Dihydrogen Monoxide

Remember this is not a complex map and there aren't many hiding spots.

NOTE: You will also require the beta 2 wad as i've snaffled some textures from there. My map currently sits is the MAP01 spot.

Dave

I'll agree that MAP05 may need a look. For me its that side room thats cut off by two lifts. Then again, that's where the plasma rifle is, so I guess it can be hard to get to.

Phendrena said:

Hi all,

Probably an easy answer to this.....
How do I test my map in Odamex/Zandronum/ZDaemon??
I can't see anything obvious that sticks out at me tbh.

Thanks,
Dave

Hey Phendrena, so all you got to do is click on your wad file, and drag it into whatever source port you use (Odamex, Zandronum, ZDaemon, or Skulltag) and it should play right away. Or your can type in the console the location of the wad file you wish to play. Go to multiplayer and set up an offline deathmatch with bots and you can configure whatever settings you want. Example: Frag limit or time limit.

I prefer Zandronum over all the other Doom source ports.

Hope that helps!

Phendrena said:

Hi,

Here ya go :)

It is small arena style map. Ideally four or less players although there are eight spawn points. It's basic and need beautification and the style might not suit, but hey, it's different!!

Dihydrogen Monoxide

Remember this is not a complex map and there aren't many hiding spots.

NOTE: You will also require the beta 2 wad as i've snaffled some textures from there. My map currently sits is the MAP01 spot.

Dave

So I just tested the map out for the first time. Visually, the map is pretty impressive looking. I like the use of textures and symmetry throughout every sector. There were however a couple of problems. For one thing, I really don't like the idea of having really deep water. I think that negatively effects the deathmatch gameplay. I recommend either removing the deep floor to just a regular water surface with no depth, or at least make the water ankle deep.

I also playtested it with with deathmatch bots using the Zandronum source port. I was like, "Where the heck are all the DM bots?" I then realized they were trapped in their sectors with all the weapons and megasphere. For some reason, bots never open doors. A competent player (such as a human doomer.... duh lol) would know to open a door right in front of them. I recommend making a linedef as 'trip wire' that opens the door so that the bots walk straight into the open DM arena.

Overall, the map looks nice. Good job.

Inkie said:

I'll agree that MAP05 may need a look. For me its that side room thats cut off by two lifts. Then again, that's where the plasma rifle is, so I guess it can be hard to get to.

I agree, the sector with the plasma rifle is one of the weakest parts of the map.

******* UPDATE AS OF 12/16/2013 10:33PM EST: I received Phendrena's new map for slot MAP28. MAP20 is still open for grabs for either Omegalore or joe-ilya. *******

Open Slot for me please. Did add deep lava, might as well remove that and take a break from Xmas wad I was on. Wish me luck.

Here comes Omegalore Plus!

Omegalore said:

Open Slot for me please. Did add deep lava, might as well remove that and take a break from Xmas wad I was on. Wish me luck.

Here comes Omegalore Plus!

Alright Omegalore, Map20 is all yours!

Here's my entry. Gotten started.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/htz57cg82mqewe6/Inferno%20Arena.wad

Don't know if I need to remove the fog. Also, upgraded to GZDoom Builder and SLADE 3. Tried to add custom textures, but didn't show in wad using Odamex. Flats however worked. May need to use XWE for textures.

One more thing, Odmadex supports Ogg Vorbis. Don't know if Zdaemon does or not. I'll work more on this after work unless I decide to work more on that Xmas wad. Yeah, I have a job. get off at 1:00 thankfully.

Job: Itrex Recycling Center, where old machines get bruised.

Fog in DM I personally disagree with having said that, I haven't tried it so I can't really say if it works well or not. Just as long as it doesn't interfere with gameplay and vision too much.

doomguy93 said:

Hey Phendrena, so all you got to do is click on your wad file, and drag it into whatever source port you use (Odamex, Zandronum, ZDaemon, or Skulltag) and it should play right away. Or your can type in the console the location of the wad file you wish to play. Go to multiplayer and set up an offline deathmatch with bots and you can configure whatever settings you want. Example: Frag limit or time limit.

I prefer Zandronum over all the other Doom source ports.

Hope that helps!

Still having issues getting the map to run in ZDaemon/Odamex/Zandronum ! I saved my map into the DMR beta 2 release as MAP01 for my testing purposes. For example when trying to use ZDaemon:

---------------------------
ZDaemon Fatal Error
W_CacheLumpNum: 4294967295 >= numlumps
Odamex:
odalaunch message
Usage: odalaunch.exe [/m <str>]
  /m, --master=<str>	set alternate master server, example: /m 127.0.0.1:12345
Unexpected parameter 'D:\DOOM\Custom Wads\Deathmatch\DMR_DG93 beta 2.wad'
Zandronum just launches the client and does nothing else.

I am confused tbh!!!

Only ZDaemon, in the GUI, appears to have a simple option to configure a local, offline, game but errors as above. Otherwise dragging the wad onto the exe of the various ports gives me the above results.

Dave

Omegalore said:

Here's my entry. Gotten started.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/htz57cg82mqewe6/Inferno%20Arena.wad

Don't know if I need to remove the fog. Also, upgraded to GZDoom Builder and SLADE 3. Tried to add custom textures, but didn't show in wad using Odamex. Flats however worked. May need to use XWE for textures.

One more thing, Odmadex supports Ogg Vorbis. Don't know if Zdaemon does or not. I'll work more on this after work unless I decide to work more on that Xmas wad. Yeah, I have a job. get off at 1:00 thankfully.

Job: Itrex Recycling Center, where old machines get bruised.

I just play tested your map. It definitely is an improvement from your previous map 'Combat Fields,' if that was the name of it. The map is interesting. I like the design, although it is somewhat plain. Some of the bots stand around doing nothing while others seem to pick up the guns and frag each other. However, the bot gameplay isn't all what matters, because DMR is aimed towards human vs human online gameplay.

I'm personally not a fan of the lava falls texture you got. I think if it was replaced with the current lava falls from the DMR betas it would look better.

I also like the music, but i think it should be converted into MIDI format like the others.

I'll include this map into DMR. It just needs a bit of fine tuning and critique from the DMR team/participants. Very good work, keep at it Omegalore.

Phendrena said:

Still having issues getting the map to run in ZDaemon/Odamex/Zandronum ! I saved my map into the DMR beta 2 release as MAP01 for my testing purposes. For example when trying to use ZDaemon:

ZDaemon Fatal Error
W_CacheLumpNum: 4294967295 >= numlumps
Odamex:
odalaunch message
Usage: odalaunch.exe [/m <str>]
  /m, --master=<str>	set alternate master server, example: /m 127.0.0.1:12345
Unexpected parameter 'D:\DOOM\Custom Wads\Deathmatch\DMR_DG93 beta 2.wad'
Zandronum just launches the client and does nothing else.

I am confused tbh!!!

Only ZDaemon, in the GUI, appears to have a simple option to configure a local, offline, game but errors as above. Otherwise dragging the wad onto the exe of the various ports gives me the above results.

Dave

Well that is quite strange...... I've been play testing the latest betas using the Zandronum source port all this time and never stumbled across any fatal errors. However, I have tried to run it on Odamex and it seems to be giving me errors that crash the game. I don't use ZDaemon so I don't know what to say about that.

Are you using the latest version of Zandronum? If not, my only possible answer to your problem is to try downloading the latest version and see if it works on it. I don't quite get why it runs perfectly fine on my Zandronum source port and not on yours. :/

doomguy93 said:

I just play tested your map. It definitely is an improvement from your previous map 'Combat Fields,' if that was the name of it. The map is interesting. I like the design, although it is somewhat plain. Some of the bots stand around doing nothing while others seem to pick up the guns and frag each other. However, the bot gameplay isn't all what matters, because DMR is aimed towards human vs human online gameplay.

I'm personally not a fan of the lava falls texture you got. I think if it was replaced with the current lava falls from the DMR betas it would look better.

I also like the music, but i think it should be converted into MIDI format like the others.

I'll include this map into DMR. It just needs a bit of fine tuning and critique from the DMR team/participants. Very good work, keep at it Omegalore.

Would like to add Lavafalls, but Odamex doesn't support ANIMDEFS.
Bugger. May need to use BFALL texture. Also, thanks and yes, it was called Combat Fields (Now called Fail Fields for me).

@joe-ilya: I downloaded and playtested your map. I can tell it is still in progress, but I'm not so keen on the design and gameplay. I notice that there are some linedefs that are impassible. There is also an icon of sin (Romero head) on the water which is really random and pointless. This map needs to be fixed up and it needs to look decent. I'm leaning towards no honestly.

******* UPDATE AS OF 12/22/2013 10:31PM EST: NO MORE MAP SUBMISSIONS*******

Omegalore's map needs some significant work done on it. There are too many red textures and the spikes in the ground get in the players way. The lava falls needs to be fixed and the midi needs to be changed. This is fixable. Omegalore, would you be okay with me or Joepallai or any other authors possibly editing it?

doomguy93 said:

******* UPDATE AS OF 12/22/2013 10:31PM EST: NO MORE MAP SUBMISSIONS*******

Omegalore's map needs some significant work done on it. There are too many red textures and the spikes in the ground get in the players way. The lava falls needs to be fixed and the midi needs to be changed. This is fixable. Omegalore, would you be okay with me or Joepallai or any other authors possibly editing it?

I did remove lava texture and Ogg. I was too busy focusing on my Xmas wad.

I'll get right on it.

Omegalore said:

I did remove lava texture and Ogg. I was too busy focusing on my Xmas wad.

I'll get right on it.

Ok no problem Omega.

TheMionicDonut said:

You don't seem to have the most recent version of my map(From over eight months ago D: )

http://www.speedyshare.com/rRJkz/NoFun02.wad

There will be a few updates within the next week.

Can you send it to me through mediafire or dropbox? I can't seem to open the link you sent me.

If I have to make an account for either of them, probably not.

TheMionicDonut said:

If I have to make an account for either of them, probably not.

Nevermind, I managed to download the file. Thanks!

@Omegalore, I do see the improvements you have done but it still doesn't play very well, especially with bots. Visually, it is an eyesore too with the red textures and mix between vinewalls. Do you mind if Joepallai or myself try editing this map? We will still give you the credit for it of course.

doomguy93 said:

@Omegalore, I do see the improvements you have done but it still doesn't play very well, especially with bots. Visually, it is an eyesore too with the red textures and mix between vinewalls. Do you mind if Joepallai or myself try editing this map? We will still give you the credit for it of course.

Sure. I'm sort of new at DM maps.

Omegalore said:

Sure. I'm sort of new at DM maps.

Thanks man, we will see what we can do to fix it up.

Guest Unregistered account
Inkie said:

What would you say is wrong about the item placement? I'm not taking offense, I just would like some more details on what is good and bad.

I'd probably say it's because most people find DM maps better if they have a hard-to-get Plasma Rifle/BFG 9,000/BFG 10K etc. or even a rocket launcher. It just adds a reward to players who take the risk.

Guest Unregistered account

And also, how do I send my maps to you? Because I'm 12 and would be curious to see what the community makes of maps by a Doomer of that age.