Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baronofheck82

Bah humbug

Hurricyclone said:

I'm quite surprised no one mentioned having to sit through church on the eve of Christmas, cause that just happened to me now.

Hahahah! Good thing I cant find one where I live now!!

It is sad that as I grow older, the wonder I have for the holiday season diminishes. But I still look forward to it every year. The lights, the cheesy music on the radio, the family get-togethers, watching Die Hard 1 and the holiday episodes of my favorite TV shows. My family never really did the gift-giving thing, though.

A tangent that has bothered me for a long time: why is it in the US that whenever there's a holiday, businesses have advertising for it at least two months ahead of the day? I get that retail has to move their inventory quickly to get the money, but is it necessary to put out the Christmas wares for sale starting in the middle of August? Or Valentine's Day cards on Christmas Eve? Give us some time to reflect on the damn thing without reminding us of the upcoming one (except the Hallmark holidays, fuck that noise). This even extends to non-holidays, like back-to-school sales in mid-June or Black Friday before Halloween.

Avoozl said:

I haven't given nor received either but it's worse since my pension currently goes into my parents account and they owe me so much money already and they wont even give me my share of it while they still get the board on top of it.

What do you mean by "get the board on top of it" ? My english skills are still too low to understand these weird phrases... I guess it similiar to saying that they got it under control?
Anyway that is some really weird situation which I never heard about.
I do not want to bother you by digging into your personal relationships, but why would someone set his pension to go to parents' account? Can't you have your own bank account?

Sokoro said:

What do you mean by "get the board on top of it" ? My english skills are still too low to understand these weird phrases... I guess it similiar to saying that they got it under control?
Anyway that is some really weird situation which I never heard about.
I do not want to bother you by digging into your personal relationships, but why would someone set his pension to go to parents' account? Can't you have your own bank account?

I'm a native speaker with a 98 A in English Comp I in college and I have no idea what that means, either.

I'm pretty sure he means the board, as in "room and board." Though, I may also be entirely wrong.

Which, by the way, is total bullshit. You should jet out of that place, Avoozl. I was in a situation like that and it's not something that ever ends up going anywhere.

I'm an ex-Christian turned atheist with a religious family (parents and brother) but in spite of our epistemological differences I think there are some positive things that can be had from Christmas. Even if you look at the religious parts, there are common themes and needs that everyone strives for, like hope, love and all that jazz even though they are dressed up in an oddly sized package inconsistent (to me) with modern scientific findings.

So if I find myself getting frustrated because I have to sit through a church service or whatever I just try to stay positive and try to look at the good parts. (Although as a matter of principle, I never give money to the church, only directly to charity.)

That being said, although it's nice to get gifts, I don't think all the stress and materialism associated with the whole tradition are worth it. Why don't we at least just all choose our own dates on which we do it. That way we can avoid stuff like this:

Another thing, suicide rates usually skyrocket around Christmas time. It's supposed to be a happy time to be together with loved ones, but for those who are alone/lonely it's often very hard because they feel that they're missing out, failed socially/personally or whatever. So why don't we make this a time to reach out to that reclusive neighbour of yours and invite him/her for a cup of coffee (hopefully not only once a year - and of course, I don't include those who simply wish to remain alone. :))

Surprised of the lack of "well duhhh!" responses in this thread. I'm pretty sure 31 is a pretty sufficient age where you don't cream yourself after opening up a present with a nerfgun in it or a nintendo 64.

Stop expecting people to care about your wants and desires, take pride in giving something special to other people, and have kids and relive childhood through them.

40oz said:

I'm pretty sure 31 is a pretty sufficient age where you don't cream yourself after opening up a present with a nerfgun in it or a nintendo 64.

Well, I just might if I got a brand new N64 (with brand new controllers) today...

Kotzugi said:

It's supposed to be a happy time to be together with loved ones, but for those who are alone/lonely it's often very hard because they feel that they're missing out, failed socially/personally or whatever.

My last girlfriend cheated on me on Christmas two years ago. So, even ignoring the atheist thing, I think my opinion is inevitably biased.

I used to love Christmas to death.

I don't know what happened, but I've recently realized I don't like it anymore (or any other holidays for that matter, they just irritate me.) I'm too old to get excited by presents or the Christmas ambience (which in our house is limited to setting up a Christmas tree anyway.)

Used to be that my grandpa came every year for Christmas and it felt special, but these days my grandpa is too old and sick to travel anywhere. And it used to be that we were preparing for Christmas Eve way in advance, but these days we typically do everything on the 24th, or late on the 23rd at best, so it doesn't feel like anything special anymore. Christmas Eve these days means just that on this particular day we eat lunch in the evening, and we have to act out the Santa Claus farce in front of my brother, who still haven't realized how suspicious it is that "Santa" always happens to come and leave the presents while he is in another room.

There's also the factor that ever since I began going to work, Christmas no longer means "yay, about a week of freedom from school!", just "three free days, then back to work."

Christmas is alright, you just have to adjust your expectations of it as you stop depending on your parents for stuff you desire. Look for the small things to enjoy about it, like a couple of extra days off, or getting together to eat a nice meal and maybe sing some songs etc. If that's not your thing. Then maybe christmas isn't for you or you need to consider other aspects of christmas to get your jollies off on. It's ok to not enjoy christmas. If all you rather do is stay home and play Doom. Then by all means do that. Make up your own traditions.