Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Little Faith

Map 01 music

Is the music of Doom2 map01 (Running from Evil)  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Is the music of Doom2 map01 (Running from Evil)

• Crap?
    • Not Crap?

Just a little question.

Am i the only who thinks Doom2's map01 music is total crap? You sure get to listen to it a lot of times. Most custom levels play at map01 and no all of them has a music replacement.

MAP01's music is not crappy. It's just bad because we've heard it 1000000 times, yeah.

CRAP!
It's among the cheesiest Doom tracks at all. Happy shit.
A metal track would have been better in its place.

It's not happy at all.

Not that it's tearjerking or anything...

It's good intro music.

Yeah I think it's pretty nice for intro music.

It does however suck badly in MAP15.

Sucks big time compared to E1M1 and E1M2 from Ultimate Doom. Now they were cool tracks.

I'd link you all to Strain Map 01 but Mark Klem's midi page appears to be broken :/

I don't like, no sir, not at all.
It's too....uh........not good.
It just doesn't sound right. I would have like something just a bit more suspenseful, or at least better sounding.

Spike said:

Sucks big time compared to E1M1 and E1M2 from Ultimate Doom. Now they were cool tracks.

All music from Doom1 was cool, with the exception of D_E2M8. I have never really gotten to like that one and my soundcard fux it up.

Still we couldn't live without D_ROMERO, D_DDTBLU (get the mp3 version at mp3.com) and D_TENSE.

Fredrik said:

D_RUNNIN is kinda jazzy.

Exactly the reason why I find it too "happy" - yep it sounds happy to my ears (maybe not YOUR definition of "happy", but it is mine).
Either give me an evil sounding ambient track or some metal.

And "Waiting for Romero to play" sucks too imho it might be ambient, but it reminds me too much of some kiddie tune (with some sort of instrumental bells or something) - oh no, gimme good ol' "Suspense" (E1M5) and "The Demons from Adrian's pen" (E2M2 - love that level just for the music) for old Doom ambient tracks.

I was once of the same impression as you but, try this.

Load Doom2 wad and jump to map27. After you killed all resistance loiter around this creepy level and allow the tune to creep up to you. You will find that this is one of those tunes that can make a spooky wad spookier.

It does suck on map18 though.

Little Faith said:

I was once of the same impression as you but, try this.

Load Doom2 wad and jump to map27. After you killed all resistance loiter around this creepy level and allow the tune to creep up to you. You will find that this is one of those tunes that can make a spooky wad spookier.

It does suck on map18 though.

I admit that it fits map27 nicely - but it just doesn't appeal to me (I've already tried what you suggested), sorry.

Archvile64 said:

Hm, it's good - definitely better than the "official" map01 music in Doom 2, but it's too happy.

Fredrik said:

ROTT IS NECROSEXUAL GAME FOR RETARDS

Well, I agree that ROTT sucked. Primarily because of the lack of proper gameplay (the game couldn't make up it's mind whether it was a FPS or a platform game), lame adversaries, and that crap 90 degree wall limitation (as well as the same floor and ceiling height limitation).

It DID, however, have excellent music (some of it even composed by our own Bobby Prince) as well as a rather interesting set of textures. (The colour scheme kinda reminded me of Xenon2).

If i'm not mistaken, ROTT's music are used Hell Revealed, and those are very good. Map 01 music isn't the best one's, but i like the version that was used in Freedoom.

Heh. The Map01 song is just a retarded metal ditty. The good stuff comes later (map10).

map01's music kicks ass, only problem is that I have heard it 1000+ times.

If I had to choose between E1M1 and Map01 as a startmap music tune, I'd pick E1M1 - far superior combat feel to it imo.

Fredrik said:

ROTT IS NECROSEXUAL GAME FOR RETARDS

SO ARE YOU.

And Little Faith I beg to differ about ROTT's gameplay. I enjoyed it, I thought the combination worked very well. And yes, the music roxors, and YES, ROTT's map01 music is great.

d-runnin isn't that good. I think its serves its purpose though. one of my faves is d_openin. I'm using it for my first wad.

edit: btw ROTT, I forget what that stood for, but wasn't that the game were you tripped on mushrooms?

dsm said:

Hm, it's good - definitely better than the "official" map01 music in Doom 2, but it's too happy.

TechnoDoom is "happy"?

VileSlay said:

d-runnin isn't that good. I think its serves its purpose though. one of my faves is d_openin. I'm using it for my first wad.

edit: btw ROTT, I forget what that stood for, but wasn't that the game were you tripped on mushrooms?

D_OPENIN is a weird song to use. It is very positively scaring and excellent to build suspense but it is so quiet and lightly instrumented that even the most casual combat will drown it out.

ROTT means Rise Of The Triad, and yes it is the game where you trip on mushrooms. (I guess the developers did too). :)