Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
dg93

Comparison of Doom graphics to Modern Graphics

Waffenak said:

You claimed doom art that is hand drawn and made out of pixels isnt pixel art.

"Work of art" ≠ "pixel art".

Waffenak said:

material touched up at the pixel level, including colourisation: as jayextree said

It depends on what you're doing with the source image. If you manually redraw it pixel by pixel using a small palette, well, you got yourself a pixel art. If something looks like pixel art, then what the hell?

Jayextee said:

it does look amazing

I keep thinking: aren't you confusing me with someone else?

Da Werecat said:

"Work of art" ≠ "pixel art".

It depends on what you're doing with the source image. If you manually redraw it pixel by pixel using a small palette, well, you got yourself a pixel art. If something looks like pixel art, then what the hell?

"Work of art" ‚ "pixel art".
->Infact, it is work of art, word 'art' already tells it. As I mentioned before, it isnt necessary that every piece of is drawn from scratch. Think it as a metafora, like a design house, you build and design it piece by piece but not from tiny cement and wood particles, you got elements you install on their right places and thus create unique work of art

-> Nope, Im referring to your earlier posts.

Da Werecat said:

I might be, actually. I know Mechadon does some awesome shit, but I swear you did some good stuff for consideration as skies in the Doom 64-in-Doom 2 project.

*shrugs*

I'm really impressed with how efficient Doom's graphics are handled. The way graphics are not drawn if they are out of the player's eyesight. Modern games don't really take much of this into account and selfishly include too many features that have absolutely no influence on the gameplay or any sort of interactivity whatsoever, and make us pay with exceptionally long loading times or poor performance on lower-end machines. And to run these games on lower settings blurs the textures and makes the models all blocky, and would even look ugly in comparison to Doom or Quake, while Doom and Quake are still quite beautifully designed both in the gameplay and visual market without suffering any performance issues. Even the largest most complex user-made Doom levels only take a second or two to load on a garbage computer.

In regards to the picture, It may just be a part of my extremely intimate relationship with Doom vs. my virtually no understanding of modern games, but in Doom it's always extremely obvious what you can and can't interact with. Solid walls are completely upright barriers, your obstacles and adversaries are individual animating images, your wall textures and floors are flat surfaces, etc.

Looking at the bottom picture, am I sure I can walk on that garbage? can I climb on top of that dumpster or is it supposed to be blocking something? Where exactly can I go? Can i get in those buildings in the background? What does my gun do? How much health do I have? Who are the bad guys? The world is so full of distractions that I don't think I could possibly concentrate on the core gameplay of it, which is probably why these games are so dumbed down.

Sometimes I wonder if graphics card companies might ever be paying developers to make their games have higher requirements or something of the like so people will buy their new gpu's.