Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
doomgargoyle

Blurry gfx in chocolate-doom

I dont know whether this is the right section to put this. After using gzdoom/zdoom to play doom and the doom engine games for a long while, I want to try chocolate-doom since it's gpl, and it's an interesting port. What i've noticed though, coming from gzdoom/zdoom, is that the game looks blurry at all times, specially when compared to zdoom or gzdoom. I'm trying all the supported games, including Strife, and the images look very blurry, as if having a very low resolution, the jaggies on walls are huge too. Maybe this is because chocolatedoom keeps the 320x200 doom resolution, i dont know. I dont see, unlike in gzdoom or zdoom, graphics settings options. Is there a way, maybe by editing the code, to increase the resolution or somehow make the game look less blurry? I'd like to have a clear-looking game for single playing doom/heretic/hexen/strife fun.

thank you

doomgargoyle said:

Maybe this is because chocolatedoom keeps the 320x200 doom resolution

That's precisely what happens. If you want something higher you have to use other source ports.

As for changing the code to increase resolution, of course it's doable but to do it right will require a lot of work to get everything right.

doomgargoyle said:

the images look very blurry, as if having a very low resolution

You don't say...

doomgargoyle said:

Maybe this is because chocolatedoom keeps the 320x200 doom resolution, i dont know.

Good guess.

Funnily enough, some people find these big pixels "blurry" while others say they are "crisp". Subjectivity!

If you want a "purist-except-for-high-res" port for Doom, try PrBoom+ with Doom complevel.

For Heretic, Hexen, and Strife, try . Or maybe . There's a lot of choice between , , and .

Gez said:

You don't say...

Good guess.

Funnily enough, some people find these big pixels "blurry" while others say they are "crisp". Subjectivity!

If you want a "purist-except-for-high-res" port for Doom, try PrBoom+ with Doom complevel.

For Heretic, Hexen, and Strife, try . Or maybe . There's a lot of choice between , , and .

I dont need your stupid sarcasm.

Graf Zahl said:

That's precisely what happens. If you want something higher you have to use other source ports.

As for changing the code to increase resolution, of course it's doable but to do it right will require a lot of work to get everything right.

Thank you that's the reply i wanted. I guess I'll have to use vavoom, since it's the only port that supports Strife and is gpl.

doomgargoyle said:

Maybe this is because chocolatedoom keeps the 320x200 doom resolution, i dont know.

This is the correct answer. See the related FAQ entry for this question.

I've been asked lots of times to add high resolution rendering support, and I've given it serious thought, but the answer I've come up with is "no". The purpose of Chocolate Doom is to reproduce Doom exactly as it was played in the '90s, and I believe the resolution is an essential element of this. Supporting higher resolutions also requires a huge amount of work to carefully retrofit and rearchitect the entire engine to support: changes that could easily disrupt the accurate Vanilla behavior.

Other ports offer higher resolutions: Doom Retro (based on Chocolate Doom) supports the slightly higher 640x400, or you can use PrBoom+ of course. I don't know if there is something equivalent you can use for Heretic or Hexen, but for Strife there's SvStrife.

As a programmer, I would never try to do high-res in Chocolate itself. fraggle is correct in that it would destroy the philosophy and the architecture of the program.

It took years for EE to get completely generalized high resolution support that wasn't also a mess. (It might still be a mess in some ways).

PrBoom-Plus is the way to go for vanilla Doom gameplay but with high-res OpenGL anti-aliased graphics :D At least, I think it's beautiful.

Unfortunately there aren't yet any ports that preserve vanilla gameplay/demo-compat for any of the other games that feature high resolution. Certainly you have options such as GZDoom and Vavoom, which work fantastically as long as you're not looking for perfect (or near-perfect) vanilla compatibility. The game that suffers the worst in these regards is Strife. Since the source was never released and lost, the ZDoom and Vavoom implementations are ones that make the game playable but without attention to the fine-detail edge cases in vanilla. Chocolate Strife is the result of a reverse engineering of strife, and hopefully someday we'll see source ports derived from it, to enjoy full high-resolution and other nice things :D

chungy said:

PrBoom-Plus is the way to go for vanilla Doom gameplay but with high-res OpenGL anti-aliased graphics :D At least, I think it's beautiful.

Unfortunately there aren't yet any ports that preserve vanilla gameplay/demo-compat for any of the other games that feature high resolution....

Chocolate Strife is the result of a reverse engineering of strife, and hopefully someday we'll see source ports derived from it, to enjoy full high-resolution and other nice things :D

It's not choco level but Eternity's Heretic support will aim to be "high", at least. Some bugs are unconditionally fixed, like gib-fountain Gargoyles, but those are hardly things that made Heretic the game it was. I intend for EE's Strife support to be highly compatible as well. It's just a matter of pushing through the last couple things that are in the way. I'm making steady but slow progress.

I assume that retrodoom doesnt support Heretic/Hexen/Strife. Does svStrife have source code available? And what resolutions does it support? What does it use for sound too, FMOD?