Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vervolf

Chocolate Doom on Android!

If this is Chocolate Doom, then this project isn't in compliance with the license. I can't find a source download link anywhere, let alone a copy or mention of the license or any of the copyright holders.

Quasar, it's ok with license. Chocolate Doom run in emulator. No any sources, just binaries. You can read in Licence.txt in game dir about it.

This looks pretty cool, did you make it?

I've got just a few concerns though, if you don't mind:
* There's no source available, from what I can tell. Chocolate Doom is licensed under the GPLv2 and all its terms must be adhered to, in particular section 3 which can basically be summed up as "release the source to the version of the binary you're using". Even if you didn't compile it yourself.
* It seems only available via the Google Play Store. This is of course your choice, but I have an Android phone purposefully without the Google services, it can be nice if you have an APK available without requiring the Play Store. Perhaps on the product home page along with the source? :)
* It's claimed to use an x86 emulator, which I find intriguing. Are you planning on selling the emulator, is it based on any prior work (eg, QEMU?), are you planning on making it open source? How does it work?

Welcome to the Doom community, and best of luck to you. These issues should be fairly minor. :)

Yes, I'm one of developers.

* About license. In License.txt (in game dir)there is an explanation about source code. Do you mean we should add direct link to chocolate doom sources on github?
* Certainly, we plan to make apk available on other resources too, just have no time to do it
* Emulator have no relation to any previous projects like QEMU and etc. At the moment we plan to sell server version of product, emulator only a part of the system.
In short, application-layer (linux) i386->Armv7 translator with strong two-leveled optimization engine, which allows to recieve high perfomance on vast number of apps. Now over 50-60% of native, and we target to make it 80%.

Thanks for your response!

Vervolf said:

Yes, I'm one of developers.

* About license. In License.txt (in game dir)there is an explanation about source code. Do you mean we should add direct link to chocolate doom sources on github?
Thanks for your response!

A link to the github would be sufficient I believe, and very appreciated.

I am the author of Chocolate Doom. Thank you for doing this and please comply with the license - you are required to provide the full source code.

EDIT: Just re-read your earlier comment about how this works. Sounds slightly crazy but what you're doing is probably okay. A link to the Chocolate Doom website would be nice and appreciated.

Sorry if this is too off topic, but this made me think: Would Mocha Doom (when it's ready) run natively on android? Obvously would need some tweaks for interface, but if I'm not mistaken doesn't java run on android?

Either way, much excite for getting more Doom on my phone :D

fraggle, Quasar

It's ok, we fix license text and update app version asap.
I'll report about that.

Feel free to ask any other questions.

Nomad,

Java code doesn't runs "natively", it interprets or translates by Java-machine. But you are right - Doom written on Java can be executed on Android probably with minor modifications. May be some fixes in library interfaces requires, I can't say exactly.

Nomad said:

Sorry if this is too off topic, but this made me think: Would Mocha Doom (when it's ready) run natively on android? Obvously would need some tweaks for interface, but if I'm not mistaken doesn't java run on android?

I'm way too busy to attempt this myself right now, even though I postulated about it in the past. But certainly, if someone writes a proper interface to Android screens and input events, it should work.

My only concern is that Mocha Doom uses some Java 6 features and, in recent versions, depends heavily on generics, while Android's SDK -at least the 2.x versions- are only Java 5 compliant. That's a huge step up from e.g. Java ME, certainly, but it might still cause trouble in a spot or two -workarounds might be required.

OTOH the recent versions have selectable 8-bit, 16-bit and 24-bit rendering, so it might be a match made in heaven for typical Android screens, even without using OpenGL surfaces for acceleration.

Also, recent versions of Mocha Doom use basic InputStream interfaces at their core for I/O to files, so in theory anything that can be wrapped with an InputSteram interface should work, including Android's file system or other resources.

License fixed in new version of Original Doom.

NOTE: To see updated version of License.txt file you need to delete manualy old version of Original Doom if it was installed before.

I kinda want to sneak this onto one of the devices at work and play doom when I'm supposed to be testing our game or something, but they'll probably call me out on that since I mentioned wanting to try doom on a touchscreen before and how terrible that sounds to play :X (I hate touchscreens)

I'll just stick to replaying doom 64 on my work pc...

The only other seemingly good Doom source port on Android started me off with all weapons (not ammo)... could this be the source port I always wanted??
EDIT: NOOOOO I have 2.3.7! Argh!