Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Whoo

TNT 2: Devilution (Texture Pack in OP)

Well, dooz screens are utterly cruel. And, of course, TNTish.

Ragnor said:

Feels good reocgnising many of those areas.

Anyway, Alter, did you forget to add weapons to the opening of 27? I seem to be facing a ridiculous horde with nothing but a pistol and ammo for things I dont have. I dont REALLY want to IDFA or summon an SSG, RL and chaingun etc.

Start reminds me of 21 and 28, all three have an opening horde fight, 28 was the least fair as there as pretty much no room to move. I have a shit-ton of movement here, but I'm not pistoling everything :/

Bringing this up here incase this a big error.

Also, what midi is that? I KNOW IT FROM SOMEWHERE AND IT IS DRIVING ME MAD

There is a shotgun at the beginning of the map to your left, so what the hell? Anyway need to send an update.

Okay, so it turns out earlier I spawned in a COMPLETELY different area, a big brightly lit outdoor area with boxy buildings, a million revenants, and I was on a raised ledge with a large stockpile of ammo. Evading the revenants would lead you to get attacked by arch-viles at either building. Uh, what happened here?

I had also forgotten to load the TNT2 textures, surely that wouldnt warp me across the map?

Also, figured out the midi. Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin's desert level. That was driving me nuts not being able to match the game to the music. Now that im actually spawning at the start area, I'll get this level done, already looks nice! If its as painful as 17, I can forgive it, it IS 27 afterall.

Ragnor said:

Okay, so it turns out earlier I spawned in a COMPLETELY different area, a big brightly lit outdoor area with boxy buildings, a million revenants, and I was on a raised ledge with a large stockpile of ammo. Evading the revenants would lead you to get attacked by arch-viles at either building. Uh, what happened here?

I had also forgotten to load the TNT2 textures, surely that wouldnt warp me across the map?

Also, figured out the midi. Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin's desert level. That was driving me nuts not being able to match the game to the music. Now that im actually spawning at the start area, I'll get this level done, already looks nice! If its as painful as 17, I can forgive it, it IS 27 afterall.

Kyka is the one who's done the map balancing on map17, 27 is entirely mine. Anyway check PMs and download the update, you'll need it. And yes it is that midi :).

Yeah, im playing it now, its pretty great so far. Has some thematic consistencies with 28 too, which is a good thing. Have already found a few things wrong, one of which may render the map incompletable, so I'll send those details in a PM when I'm finished.

I also loaded up the first version you sent with the texture pack and absolutely nothing else, I still spawn in an entirely different area, this one: http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o181/Ekerezan/Doom/Screenshot_Doom_20140105_204419_zpsa520d623.png~original Im guessing the player start was moved here to test an area? Kyka made a mistake like this in one version of Map 9 :p

Ragnor said:

Yeah, im playing it now, its pretty great so far. Has some thematic consistencies with 28 too, which is a good thing. Have already found a few things wrong, one of which may render the map incompletable, so I'll send those details in a PM when I'm finished.

I also loaded up the first version you sent with the texture pack and absolutely nothing else, I still spawn in an entirely different area, this one: http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o181/Ekerezan/Doom/Screenshot_Doom_20140105_204419_zpsa520d623.png~original Im guessing the player start was moved here to test an area? Kyka made a mistake like this in one version of Map 9 :p

The map was meant to be expanded but that plan got scrapped, forgot to remove the new start whoops. The map contains the hell map from first demo as it's second half and ends the same way. Because it would be a shame to waste the best map of the first demo haha.

Just finished the map, still need to go back and get shots of things like missing lines and try to work out some of the secrets.

I thoroughly enjoyed that one, it wasnt ballbusting like 17 (17 to 19 combined were enough to put nearly all things Doom related on hold, they were that hard, honestly. Maybe I just suck :p), and felt like TNT to a massive degree, more so than most maps ive played so far (19 is probably its biggest contender), likely due to the aesthetics mixed with the not-THAT-brutal gameplay and the rough look of some areas

And yeah, I will admit I grinned like mad when I got to the area of the original demo. There....is a problem however. Map 24 IS that demo map, massively upgraded. If this map is going to be in the mapset twice, fully or partially, I'd vote to have one version full techbase, then returning to a corrupted version later on.

As far as I know, map 2 from the original demo was never completed or reused, whereas the first and third maps were (third map is map 15, and its much improved), wonder if its salvagable? I did like that one despite the fact the map was broken in places.

Ragnor said:

Just finished the map, still need to go back and get shots of things like missing lines and try to work out some of the secrets.

I thoroughly enjoyed that one, it wasnt ballbusting like 17 (17 to 19 combined were enough to put nearly all things Doom related on hold, they were that hard, honestly. Maybe I just suck :p), and felt like TNT to a massive degree, more so than most maps ive played so far (19 is probably its biggest contender), likely due to the aesthetics mixed with the not-THAT-brutal gameplay and the rough look of some areas

And yeah, I will admit I grinned like mad when I got to the area of the original demo. There....is a problem however. Map 24 IS that demo map, massively upgraded. If this map is going to be in the mapset twice, fully or partially, I'd vote to have one version full techbase, then returning to a corrupted version later on.

As far as I know, map 2 from the original demo was never completed or reused, whereas the first and third maps were (third map is map 15, and its much improved), wonder if its salvagable? I did like that one despite the fact the map was broken in places.

Hm.... I suppose I could remove the demo map bit, that will make the map shorter and sweeter (it will end on the Cyberdemon SSG fight).

Oh hey, if you do that, 27 could be moved to 23, then it would still play out the way you intended, with the teleporter still going to the same place

Ragnor said:

Oh hey, if you do that, 27 could be moved to 23, then it would still play out the way you intended, with the teleporter still going to the same place

That's up to Whoo, I already updated the map and when he's up, he'll have it.

True enough, just thinking of ideas. Sent the feedback PM btw, just in case the system has messed up again, like it does.

Kyka, will get onto one of the last three maps tomorrow, probably 24. Might as well get them done.

Avoozl said:

That middle texture surrounding the plasmarifle in the second shot bugs me for some reason.

Better?

That texture is actually the tall techno pillar made into a patch.

Cell said:

Well, dooz screens are utterly cruel. And, of course, TNTish.

:D

Olympus said:

Hey, I recognize that second screen! Looks great, keep it up everyone :)

You will like your areas in map 21. If you like I'll send it to you.

Ragnor said:

Kyka, will get onto one of the last three maps tomorrow, probably 24. Might as well get them done.

No rush. I am updating those maps anyway, so hang until then. :)

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

I am updating those maps anyway, so hang until then. :)

You what now?

TheMionicDonut said:

You what now?

It's what I have been doing for the last 3 months mostly. Bugfixing, balancing, texture alignment and all that crap.

Its just three maps though, I'd rather get them done and have a more polished version next time, than receive a version I could have found shit on thats still there :p

Like you know, those evil little grey boxes I find :p

You should probably send 24 to alter, as he didnt have a clue his early demo map was being used.

Ragnor said:

You should probably send 24 to alter, as he didnt have a clue his early demo map was being used.

Hmmm. Though according to the maplist on P1 of this thread, it may not be in. Weird, because for the last few years it was in. At any rate, it has been polished and tested pretty thoroughly so it should still be in the mix somewhere.

Ragnor said:

MAP24 is one of Mionic's maps. The map you're thinking of was integrated into Alter's MAP27.

TheMionicDonut said:

You what now?

As I said a month ago, once Kyka sends me the fully updated/tested maps I'll be sending them back to their authors so that they can change anything they don't like.

If you want to send it my way that'd be pretty cool! Kind of a sneak peak to the rest of the megawad. :)

Whoo said:

MAP24 is one of Mionic's maps. The map you're thinking of was integrated into Alter's MAP27.

As I said a month ago, once Kyka sends me the fully updated/tested maps I'll be sending them back to their authors so that they can change anything they don't like.

Oh right. Entirely forgot. In my current testwad, there is a map in slot 24 that is alter's demo map massively upgraded. Dammit Kyka! Much confusion!

It would be cool to see the actual numbers in what is going on now, rather than just the occasional screenshots (not that there is anything wrong with those, but for a project that is supposedly this close to being ready for beta...)

How many maps are good and fixed up?
How many midis are we at?

How is the testing process going?
Is there even a testing alpha for testers/contribootors?

I know it has been slow going lately for various reasons but we may as well get a kickstart.

A 2014 release would be pretty kickin'

Avoozl said:

That middle texture surrounding the plasmarifle in the second shot bugs me for some reason.

Probably because it's ugly and repetitive. Why not just tekwall?

Right now Xaser's map is very close to completion and I should have it within 1-2 weeks. I still have to contact Tarnsman, whose map I was told was already done but needed some balancing.

Once Kyka sends me all the updated maps (which I believe will have already been tested as far as I know), a complete build will go out to the entire team.

So right now we're looking good for a release within a couple months. All the map work that's really going on right now is Xaser's map and a new MAP10 that's close to completion.

MAP20 is virtually done; Kyka's just tweaking a couple final things after Alter finished it a couple months ago. As for MAP30, everything minus the actual final boss arena is done. It's all designed, I just have to finish detailing the arena without going over the vanilla limits.

Kassman, alter and Kyka designs all in one map? MUST. NOT. FAP.

20 has been what I've been looking forward to the most, I almost dont want to test 20 and 30 to keep them super fresh...but I know if I dont, the automaps are likely going to look ugly ;]

I get the feeling Nostalgia Drive will be That One Map of the dev cycle. It'll be damn well worth it though, looks fantastic.

Whoo said:

MAP20 is virtually done; Kyka's just tweaking a couple final things after Alter finished it a couple months ago. As for MAP30, everything minus the actual final boss arena is done. It's all designed, I just have to finish detailing the arena without going over the vanilla limits.

What all is done with that? I may have a couple (small) changes for my section (Making the southwest sector a little more lengthy)

TheMionicDonut said:

What all is done with that? I may have a couple (small) changes for my section (Making the southwest sector a little more lengthy)

Just send me whatever updates you have and I'll add my areas into it.

Mionic, I have worked on your two maps quite a lot. Will send you *mostly* complete versions in the next couple of days. Still need some balancing, but mostly there. (ie far too much ammo on the easier difficulty settings.)

See what you think, love your two maps.

Whoo, am a little behind in terms of testing. Haven't finished Map 20 yet either. (That map is monumental. I could spend 3 months on finishing that one map, without doing anything else at all on this project.)

I propose we don't set anything other than general deadlines. As long as we continue to work consistently, it will slowly get there. I don't care how long we take.

As it stands right now, we have two really good maps not on the final list, so we have a few options in terms of the final maplist.

Ragnor. Have been so busy finishing maps that I haven't really touched your recent playtesting. Will get onto it soon. Thanks bro, love your work.

OH RIGHT. Guys, (meaning Whoo and Kyka) you ...uh, forgot to remove certain textures from the demo wad like I requested. I fumbled around in Slade3 to pull the Devilution status bar and the menu icon out of the third demo to accurately test the rest of the maps with the right statusbar and...accidentally partially spoiled Map 30. DAAAAMN IT!

I am also an idiot, because I could have just copied and pasted the three parts I needed into a new wad from the start, rather than try to remove the textures. Herp derp. This is why I dont make maps or mods.

I'll get 21 and 23 done soon, ONLY TWO MORE. Holiday season is over, sadly. Miiiight get 21 done tonight, I dread that map like fuck though. Brutal opener is brutal.