Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
codeslicer

If you worked at id and were incharge of making a new weapon, what would it be?

bcwood16 said:

I only MOD for Doomsday

schwerpunk said:

especially if you're doing it for ZDoom

No, especially-especially if he's doing it for ZDoom. I imagine it's still especially easy with Doomsday - I just don't know if he could use inheritance, or what flags & properties are available in that port, because they probably don't have a bunch of stuff from HeXen, Strife, etc.

Looking at some Doomsday custom weapons now: DED files look about as complex as DECORATE.txt, only more spread out. Loading new textures and sounds seems to work the same way...

I could see something like a machinepistol being worked with (I don't mean the Realm667 Micro-Uzi either.)

Say, it's got a similar sprite to the pistol, though the pickup icon would maybe have a larger magazine and a small folding stock not unlike some machinepistols IRL.

You can spray it like an automatic weapon or fire it one shot at a time for maximum accuracy. Damage would, for balance purposes, a shot from the machinepistol should be about half that of a plasma rifle's shot.

Fire rate, imo, should be about 1.5x faster than the chaingun, seeing as it is a rather fast-firing weapon. I'm thinking like something similar to a G18 or a TMP in terms of how fast it fires. (Read: They fire goddamn fast)

'Tis just a thought, though. Too bad I can't code/sprite worth a damn, or I'd make one of these myself.

I would create a weapon that magically removes all Hell Knights from the map start of any level, and replaces them with a cool monster that isn't just a cheap recolored Baron.

Maes said:

Well, most of the (serious) posts seem to verge on some sort of single-shot, heavy-damage hitscan weapon with 100% accuracy. That would boil down into a sniper rifle/magnum type pistol/Express rifle/slug shotgun/railgun etc. with multiple target and/or wall penetration capabilities.

That would be feasible even with vanilla Doom, since a complete line + thing traversal list is compiled everytime a hitscan is fired anyway, so multiple target and wall crossings could be supported, by e.g. losing 25% of the shot's power for each enemy crossed, and 50% for every wall crossed.

very much this. it's pretty hard to come up with something that adds something to doom's gameplay and doesn't look goofy.

the shotgun is nice for taking down imps, but usually gets discarded in favor of the ssg. the shotgun might kill an imp in one shot or two, the ssg is guaranteed to kill it (at reasonable range). so the shotgun is not only worse at close range, but also sucks for sniping due to pellets spread. load it with slugs or frag-12 rounds and have that imp's head blown apart like a pumpkin even at the opposite end of the room.

generally i loved hard hitting, accurate weapons like quake2's railgun, half-life's magnum or f.e.a.r.'s hv penetrator, nailing some dude to the wall with a spike through his head was hilarious. combine that with a quad-damage-like powerup when the map calls for it :p

secondly the chaingun. in wolf3d it opened up like a volcano. in doom it`s disappointing. higher rate of fire (combined with carrying up to 600-800 bullets) is one solution. personally i'd like a lower fire rate with more damage per shot. something like an autocannon. doomguy can carry that and a lot more.

a flame thrower (ripped off mancubus arm, redneck rampage style) is fun, but basically a plasma rifle.

weapons like hand grenades, claymores, tripmines, remotes: do these fit doom's gameplay, especially on hard maps? i'll light them up with the bfg ten times before fumbling with these things once.

Some sort of demonic sword or axe. Upon first using it, its only a bit stronger than the fists, but with each kill collect demonic soul power. Tougher enemies give more power than weaker ones. The power of the weapon increases with more soul power collected. Soul power also acts as a sort of armor; it passively reduces incoming damage, but this quickly drains your soul power. Also, your soul power resets upon exiting the level.

Its a very high risk/reward weapon, able to snowball to very high damage, but you must avoid getting hit to maintain that strength.

something like demon eclipse's vorpal blade then (at least that in an old version i played)

ohhh!!

Anybody ever play Unreal Tournament 99 MOD Unreal forever? It added loads of new weapons to play with, some were really well thought up like the Flesh bomb, you had a few moment to live knowing you were about to explode lol

Anyway, they had these walking exploding dolls thats when squeezed and in seeking mode roaming the maps for a target said 'Mamma' so when you heard this while running around the corner with the flag you knew you were about be be violently killed by an exploding doll!

Would something like this not be cool for Doom, we could have something like a walking Martian-Buddy that said 'Wana cuddle' ...or something, then when near enough to an enemy explode!

......na actually thinking about it unless you are playing against human players that would be pretty lame, not the same effect....wow that was a waste of writing, oh well will post anyway lol

...soz

Speaking of exploding, I always loved games that had weapons that caused enemies to 'puff up' and go splat. The first time I think I saw it was with the Microwave Expander (Duke 3D: Plutonium Pak). But it was also in Soldier of Fortune (Microwave Pulse Emitter), and I've heard there's one in Saints Row 4 (Inflato-Ray), and um... A bunch of others, but they elude me.

I wonder, how difficult would it be to make a weapon in DECORATE that increased the scale of an enemy...

schwerpunk said:

Speaking of exploding, I always loved games that had weapons that caused enemies to 'puff up' and go splat.

Dig Dug? ;-)

schwerpunk said:

Speaking of exploding, I always loved games that had weapons that caused enemies to 'puff up' and go splat. The first time I think I saw it was with the Microwave Expander (Duke 3D: Plutonium Pak). But it was also in Soldier of Fortune (Microwave Pulse Emitter), Saints Row 4 (Inflato-Ray), and um... A bunch of others, but they elude me.

Big messy wet splats are just simply the best!

I loved Soldier of Fortune back in the day (obviously lol), loved the gore and local damage to people....just awesome! I don't remember the Microwave gun :( though I know I must have used it as I completed the game so many times.

Maybe I need to see if it will run on modern hardware with widescreen and Win 7 64bit, could be a lot of hassle and will look bad compared to the graphics wonders we have now.

BaronOfStuff said:

^ Fuck Brutal Doom.

I don't think I'd add a new weapon to be honest. Just give the pistol its own ammotype.

Kind of like what Duke 3D did with the pistol and chaingun cannon? Though IMO I'd change your idea a bit more by making the pistol more accurate for it's full auto (while still capable of the perfectly accurate single shot; by the way many guns in TF2 have this feature as well) and disabling the chaingun's 100% accurate double shot. Counter that a bit by giving the chaingun's damage a little boost.

What totally would be nice is for once a full-length break-open shotgun. Video games seem to be unable getting over including a sawn-off, break-open dualbarrel and full-length pump-action, the only exception I've seen is Hitman.

It would be nice to make a meele attack for the plasma gun - if you press the fire button whilst in meele range and the plasma gun is in the venting sequence (when it's lifted in the air to cool down after shooting), Doomguy would press the hot muzzle against the monster's body.

Some kind of SMG wouldn't hurt, however, not in the typical movie scenario - dual wielding Micro UZIs with removed stock. What would probably fit fine - UZI Pro with the stock in the correct position.

The chaingun is such an odd weapon - a stockless gun with Gatling-style rotating barrels firing the same bullets as pistol. Sounds like a cross between a Gatling gun with an electric motor and a sub-macine gun. What about giving it some kind of sipmle shoulder mount/stock, increasing ROF and calling it a SMG?
For the lovers of huge, fast firing nightmares - a larger version which mounts on shoulder like BFG9000 and fires, say, 5.56x45mm NATO rounds?

While writing this all made me think of some crazy powerup/weapon... the whole thing is still very unclear to me, but...some Hell-power based device that, if used in low-health situations, turns you into some kind of an undead...like you're on 20% health, you activate the device, demons finish you off...only to see you get back to the foot, now kept half-alive by the hellish device. The difference in gameplay from that point on would be that the hellish power keeping you alive would slowly drain, and could only be refilled with killing Hell creatures with the same device. Also, at some point of this undead gameplay, the hellish power would start to slowly crunch on your mind, making you more and more similar to the Former Humans wandering around - limiting your equipment to less and less weapons, and finally making you lose the control of your body, i.e. another way of game over. The only way out of that would be some kind of similar device/artifact, or finishing the game before this happens. I know that would be pretty much impossible to get into doom, but that's just a result of my imagination running wild.

ATOS Productions said:

While writing this all made me think of some crazy powerup/weapon... the whole thing is still very unclear to me, but...some Hell-power based device that, if used in low-health situations, turns you into some kind of an undead...like you're on 20% health, you activate the device, demons finish you off...only to see you get back to the foot, now kept half-alive by the hellish device. The difference in gameplay from that point on would be that the hellish power keeping you alive would slowly drain, and could only be refilled with killing Hell creatures with the same device. Also, at some point of this undead gameplay, the hellish power would start to slowly crunch on your mind, making you more and more similar to the Former Humans wandering around - limiting your equipment to less and less weapons, and finally making you lose the control of your body, i.e. another way of game over. The only way out of that would be some kind of similar device/artifact, or finishing the game before this happens. I know that would be pretty much impossible to get into doom, but that's just a result of my imagination running wild.

I like the idea of wad that would slowly turns you into a former human. First your runspeed starts to dip, then you're relegated to bullet weapons only. Finally, you're left shuffling along at a snail's pace with only your pistol and fellow zombiemen. At your most demented, you shamble into a hangar that looks oddly familiar, only to get blasted by an impossibly fast green blur.

Anyway, yeah, cool stuff. But definitely not just a weapon/artefact. It would have to be a whole mapset. Maybe three levels, I dunno, stop making me think!

A number and weight limit system like nethack.
Have 32 weapon types in wad format, some reserved for mod use.
You can carry up to 6 light weapons. You can drop weapons and pick them up later.

Include in settable attributes:
ammo type (physical, slug, plasma)
muzzle velocity (dist per tick)
gravity drop per distance (for rifle, shotgun, missile, mortar)

Then can add a high variety of weapons and weapon mods, emphasis VARIETY.

Knife: counts as 0.

Brick: The typical rock in the hand.

Sniper Rifle:

Double barrel over/under:
Various shotguns, with two barrel shotguns having shooting one barrel with one click, and both barrels with double click.

Light Machine gun: counts a 1.

50 Cal. Machine gun: counts as 2.

Chaingun counts as 3.

Grenades: count as 1/6.

Rocket laucher counts as 2

Mortar: counts as 2. Vertically launched rockets with gravity.
Hazardous indoors.

Plasma: counts as 1
BFG: counts as 2

Mines and bombs: counts as 1/2. Can set as mine, or set with trip wire, or set with timer, or set with remote detonator.