Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
doomgargoyle

Error saving iwad on Slade

Hi, im trying to learn Slade to edit some wads, but I can't save my changes, because when I click on save I get an error saying "IWAD saving disabled". I looked up that I have to change the setting iwad_lock in slade.cfg but I cant find that slade.cfg file. How do I save IWAD changes in Slade?

Why are you attempting to modify IWADs to begin with? You should work with PWADs.

You'd really be better off just copying the content you want to modify into a PWAD and always loading it when you play, rather than modifying the IWAD itself, honestly. Netgame incompatibilities and stuff.

You could change the iwad to pwad while you're editing. Just open it with any hex editor and change the first four bytes to read PWAD instead of IWAD. (then change back once you're done)

It's amazing how I can plan how a whole thread is going to go down just by reading the title.

Shadow Hog said:

You'd really be better off just copying the content you want to modify into a PWAD and always loading it when you play, rather than modifying the IWAD itself, honestly. Netgame incompatibilities and stuff.

That's what I do.

You can use just SLADE with no downloading any other program. Just have prepared the IWAD and PWAD file. Copy all the IWAD data to the PWAD and modify anything you want. Then delete the DOOM.wad/DOOM2.wad (depending on the game) and rename your PWAD to DOOM.wad/DOOM2.wad

Hope it helped!

NOTE: I recommend you to copy the original game files to avoid having an error and don't have any way to solve it.

On 12/16/2019 at 7:08 PM, Freddy_Zart said:

You can use just SLADE with no downloading any other program. Just have prepared the IWAD and PWAD file. Copy all the IWAD data to the PWAD and modify anything you want. Then delete the DOOM.wad/DOOM2.wad (depending on the game) and rename your PWAD to DOOM.wad/DOOM2.wad

Hope it helped!

NOTE: I recommend you to copy the original game files to avoid having an error and don't have any way to solve it.

A better way is to open the IWAD you want to edit in a text editor (I personally recomend notepad++), replace "IWAD" (first line) for "PWAD" and save. After that edit the wad in slade, save and with the text editor put back "IWAD", save. Now you have your custom iwad.

If you are sure you know what you're doing, you can toggle the setting for IWAD locking, and SLADE will allow you to edit IWADs.

SLADE3 -> Preferences -> Advanced -> iwad_lock

On 30/7/2020 at 15:01, JadingTsunami said:

Si está seguro de que sabe lo que está haciendo, puede alternar la configuración para el bloqueo de IWAD y SLADE le permitirá editar los IWAD.

SLADE3 - > Preferencias -> Avanzado -> iwad_lock

when i tryed that the iwad din't load at zandronum

9 minutes ago, Engineerg_9000 said:

when i tryed that the iwad din't load at zandronum

Obviously you didn't know what you were doing.

I'll just repeat what I said over eight years ago:

On mardi 7 janvier 2014 at 7:30 PM, Gez said:

Why are you attempting to modify IWADs to begin with? You should work with PWADs.

This is especially true if you're playing in multiplayer ports like Zandronum because to avoid desyncs and cheat, this kind of port tends to check that everyone is running the exact same version of the IWAD.

On 13/8/2022 at 12:04, Gez said:

Obviamente no sabías lo que estabas haciendo.

Solo repetiré lo que dije hace más de ocho años:

Esto es especialmente cierto si estás jugando en puertos multijugador como Zandronum porque para evitar desincronizaciones y trampas, este tipo de puerto tiende a verificar que todos estén ejecutando exactamente la misma versión de IWAD.

forget i discovered that i have to open it wiht another wad