Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TimeOfDeath

Doomworld Mega Project 2013 - 54 maps - /idgames link

scifista42 said:

Okay, I don't have what to hide: I once again failed to keep mapping enthusiasm, and now I'm too sick of the map to do any major overhauls. That's why I'm releasing it even though it's very imperfect.

I may make further changes to difficulty settings, though. Currently it's more or less balanced for HNTR. UV is bordering with impossibility. I actually playtested only a little. Even though all of this, this map... can serve as a final release.

http://speedy.sh/KQv7W/spacbas2.zip

Name: The Space Base 2
Slot: MAP01
Built time: Months of sporadic work on map and textures, then deleting everything and starting from scratch, then 10 days of more intensive work.
Music: "Huge Battleship Eriniesu" from a Japan game "Espgaluda", taken from vgmusic(vgmusic entry)
Sky texture: One patch from Double Impact sky.

Note: I already removed most of unused textures from the wad. Had a lot of them, in the spirit of white/blue space station.

Sorry, maybe I'm just dumb, but is there a way to d/l this map without using the d/l manager?

Although I did d/l the music you linked, and it sounds kickin'!

Veinen said:

Played through the vanilla wad and while I've learned that my tastes usually slightly differ from Demonologist's, I think he hit the proverbial nail on the head in regards with this one. A few worthless jokemaps, a whole lot of average maps and a bunch of cool maps here and there. I pretty much agree with his highlight picks too, although I think there are a few more Hatchet Job -level maps that could've been worth mentioning. A slab of FDAs to ignore (all maps, exluding 01, 07, 13, 17, 20 for various reasons) and a short map by map bashing for your displeasure:

Map04 (Yergon): I'm guessing the author is not a very experienced mapper? Because this looks a bit like a novice mapper's work, very simple design and the gameplay doesn't really have a very good flow. Too much space for so little opposition too. Not saying this map is bad necessarily, just a bit raw.

Thanks for the review. I have not had much experience in doom builder and I think I spent too much time on aesthetics rather than gameplay. I know the aesthetics are pretty basic too but I mean percentage wise. Thanks again.

Agree with Alfonzo, your map is great scifista. UV is... difficult and not very FDA-friendly but perfectly manageable so I don't see the problem. Looks fantastic as well.

You're welcome Retog, though that's not much of a review on my part. But yeah, I can see the aesthetics being your main focus and they are the highlight of your map too. Just apply polish and get some interesting gameplay going and you got yourself a decent map.

And come on now Hurricyclone, the underwater theme isn't that bad haha. It's certainly pretty unique and one could definitely make some interesting underwater ruins -style maps or something like that :)

@ Veinen: Wow, I really enjoyed your FDA of my map (MAP15--TDSW). You played it exactly as I hoped a Doomer might. You even got the secret in the Archvile's library that I thought only I would ever know about! So many little details of your playthrough reinforced that my revisions were time well spent. For instance, you organic exploration style made me glad that I rethunk the 'flow,' and your little juke-around-the-SUPPORT3-beam was exactly how I envisioned them being used.

Although that mystery switch that you pressed on the ruin should've been what opened the way to the Soul Sphere. It seems it's open all the way on map start - oops! I don't know how I missed that error.

@TimeOfDeath: If it's not too late, here's a link to the fixed version (this time without the additional 2 WiP maps included (sorry about that - just noticed)). Either way, it doesn't break the map, so I won't be torn up if it's too late for last-minute changes.

scifista42 said:

But, Ijon Tichy... The map doesn't even have an exit, and features a very specific kind of gameplay (invasion-survival). Don't you think this your work would be better as a release for its own? I think so, it's pretty unique, not like a standard start-to-exit map.

I made it because this project made me think, "hey, why the hell not try it out". I don't really care where it goes.

edit: Also, it seems to fit the idea of "I pulled a bunch of wads off of /idgames and this is what I got". Sometimes you get completely oddball stuff.

@Demonologist, @Veinen

Thanks for your playthroughs and comments, guys, and thanks for the FDA Veinen. Watching you play, I was naturally bummed out that I didn't kill you -- you and memfis have both made it through on the first try. Damnitall!!!! ;D Well, that's what I get for such a short development time, I only had myself as a playtester, a sad state of affairs indeed. That map is really swimming in health, but at least that allows better players to play it aggressively, and me to stubborn my way through it thanks to save/reload. ;) I personally enjoy that map best on HNTR.

So far, no one has found any of the secrets, it seems, or a sneaky path I put in by accident and decided to let stay to see if anyone would find it.

Thanks again!

Edit: Almost forgot to mention this, Veinen, the way you made a Revvie rocket circle that antenna tower and kill an Arachnotron was choice Badass Doom Humor. Loved it!

Sorry about the absence of fdas this time, I rarely record them nowadays, seems like I've become really tired of all the demo activity stuff recently and scrapped everything. Maybe I'll finally accomplish this task for boom section so that my words (and my suckiness as a player) would get visual representation as well.

Your map is perfectly manageable on a first attempt, SteveD. It doesn't mean it's not fun, mind you. Thanks again for your effort.

@Alfonzo, Veinen: Thanks for praiseful words about my map. :) I'll let it be as it is now, if it's acceptable as you say.
@schwerpunk: The file name on top of the speedyshare page is the download link.

@Scifista: Thanks. For what it's worth, here's an FDA with multiple deaths. I make it a few meters before giving up.

Again, love the music. Attractive map, too. Fun setup. Looks doable, but I just don't have the patience.

^Thanks for the FDA and positive words. You once again made me feel the difficulty is set up way too insane.
If Demonologist will have hard time beating the map, I might make it easier. :p

^Unable to download, it seems like if you forgot to tick "Public" on filesmelt. Thanks for giving my map a go, though.

Guest Unregistered account

NUTS!!! I just saw this today and of course it's 2014 now! AAAKSGAKSJGBADLAWDBW WALDBLKAWJ-- *line ran out*

@ scifista42: Crap, I had some problems with uploading as well. Sadly I already deleted the demo from my PC. Anyway, I tried it three times and my last death was in that cramped cage with imps warping in.
You can actually leave everything as is and it will still be playable. But I advise spreading some ammo and health across the map since with hitscanners you have to rely more on luck than on skill actually. Not many more supplies are needed, just a few here and there. Some more rockets wouldn't hurt as well.

In spacbas2 there are walls with some SCIFIBL7 texture that doesn't exist in the wad. Under the satellite maybe it's silly how when you're shooting you can see bullet puffs but probably can't be fixed? Didn't think the hitscanners were that bad, you can use other monsters as the shields against chaingunners. The traps in cramped areas seem more random to me: sometimes monster movements are good, sometimes they block you.

@Scifista42
I thought your map was brilliant, and I enjoyed getting my face pounded on UV. But I do have some critiques.

First, an important caveat. I'm a keyboard player. I use the numeric keypad for all movement, including strafing and circle-strafing, but it does tend to be an approach best suited to larger spaces. This leaves me ill-suited for slaughtermaps (too many enemies from too many directions) or cramped spaces full of nobles. I simply can't maneuver well enough to deal with that kind of play.

Back to your map. The main negative for me is that my enjoyment of the map dropped after the blue door. It was one locked-room trap after another, and actually, I thought the Imp Swarm was A Trap Too Far. It took a few tries before I beat it, but I was having so much fun up to that point that I was able to sail through. The main problem in this area was ammo shortage. A lot of that is because there's too many nobles. After I finally killed the first batch of Hell Knights, I hit a switch and 3 more appear from the Imp cage. I literally used all my shells on them, so naturally I ran into the Imp Cage to get the shell boxes, which were rapidly depleted killing the Imps. I had very little ammo, mostly bullets, to deal with the Pinkies, Chaingunners and Revvie that soon appeared, and I was down to 54 bullets before tackling the final Revvies hiding near that switch which opens the exit area. So there I was, no shells, about 10 bullets, looking at an exit guarded by 4 nobles, with a shell box in front of them. "Where's my Plasma Gun?" I asked myself. Oh, that's in multiplayer. Gee, thanks, Scifista. ;D

So in I go, with very faint hope. Grabbing the shell box causes a delay while the SSG appears, and I get killed, and to top it all off, a Baron teleports in to block the exit teleport. Yay, meta-gamey! And please, don't even imagine I'm gonna punch these Barons out with that Zerk I grabbed. It is to laugh. ;D

Remember my caveat. I can't deal with a situation like this. I don't have the skillset to beat 3 Barons and 2 Hell Knights with 20 shells in a phone booth. ;) Others do, including yourself, obviously.

Of course, looking back, I could have chosen to let the Revvies that teleport in after you get the blue key live. I used a lot of ammo killing them.

If you should desire to fix the issues I have, it's very easy. One approach is to end the game after maybe the first wave of Hell Knights past the blue door. I had enjoyed a lot of fast and furious action by then, and a shorter map would have satisfied me fine, and indeed, an opportunity to run past all those HKs and Pinkies to the exit would have been a dandy conclusion. A second way is to give us the Plasma Gun and enough cells to make an impression on those nobles at the end. Even better, get rid of the invisible wall that protects them, or delete the door that closes in behind us, so we can escape and draw them out. Of course, nobles, especially Barons, are very boring to kill. Maybe change the monster mix. Maybe delete the Baron that pops in to block the exit, so we can make a run for it. Maybe you did that on lower difficulties?

Obviously, others will feel different about the end. Consider all input.

All that aside, allow me to wax rhapsodic about the rest of the map. Just a super job of making a base floating in the vast reaches of space. Nice Starg/Silver theme, and a killer music track. Took me 3 tries to survive the opening -- very ballsy of you to be so extreme. It was nice of you to show a little mercy in the SSG room by having Pinkies block the Archie. I doubt I could have survived otherwise. Still took a couple tries. This map was just action, action, action from start to finish, but these fights prior to the blue door were the most fun because I had space to maneuver. To be honest, I thought everything outside of the blue door was perfect. Perfect base, perfect traps, perfect fights. Loved it even though I died a lot. I accept that my playstyle leads to high death counts, and I'm guessing I died a total of 16 times in this map prior to the exit. It's really not how often I die that matters, it's how much fun I have in the process of getting killed and figuring out how to win the fight that killed me. As long as I can see a way forward I will keep dying my way through a map. It is only when I encounter the hopeless situation -- the exit in this case -- that I "despair-quit." No rage involved. ;)

And allow me to agree wholeheartedly with Alfonzo about the lonely Imp on the satellite. That was fucking hilarious!

Demonologist said:

Your map is perfectly manageable on a first attempt, SteveD. It doesn't mean it's not fun, mind you. Thanks again for your effort.

I hear ya, Demonologist, but as a mapper, I want pelts.;D I'll just have to try harder next time.

◘ VANILLA/LIMIT-REMOVING WAD v2: DMP2013-VLRv2.zip (21 maps)
◘ BOOM WAD v1: DMP2013-BOOMv1.zip (13 maps)

MAP#	AUTHOR		 TITLE			    COMPAT
1	Xaser		 Stove Pipe 		    (limit-removing)
2	C30N9		 Brick Break 		    (vanilla)
3	Hurricyclone	 6 Sector Tea Jug	    (limit-removing)
4	Retog		 Yergon 		    (vanilla)
5	Fernito		 Ferno 			    (vanilla)
6	Matt534Dog	 The Last Stand 	    (vanilla)
7	Marnetmar	 Pazuzu's Revenge 	    (limit-removing)
8	minigunner	 Raiders of the Lost Shark  (limit-removing)
9	sgt dopey	 Technecrosis 		    (vanilla)
10	Alfonzo		 Postmodern Hydraulics 	    (vanilla)
11	an_mutt		 Gothicy Beetle 	    (vanilla)
12	dobu gabu maru   The Manifold Fever 	    (limit-removing)
13	Marcaek		 Bentryway 		    (vanilla)
14	SFoZ911		 Fire Fighter 		    (limit-removing)
15	schwerpunk	 TDSW 			    (vanilla)
16	JudgeDeadd	 Hatchet Job 		    (vanilla)
17	Obsidian	 None So Vile 		    (vanilla)
18	Z86		 Infernal Alignment 	    (limit-removing)
19	SteveD		 Don't Touch That Dial!     (limit-removing)
20	Megalyth	 Have a Soup and a Sandwich (vanilla)
21	Chaingunner	 CHACSTL		    (vanilla)

MAP#	AUTHOR		 TITLE			    COMPAT
1	cannonball	 Death Metal 		    (boom)
2	Katamori	 1024x32x10x10x3x2x1Monster (boom)
3	Pcorf		 Visation 		    (boom)
4	Fellowzdoomer	 Hell's End 		    (boom)
5	TheMionicDonut	 LETS ROCK! 		    (boom)
6	joe-ilya	 Steak streak 		    (boom)
7	Demonologist	 Ex Tenebris 		    (boom)
8	Exl & DooMAD	 Waystation M-00	    (boom)
9	CorSair		 Merry-Go-Kill		    (boom)
10	Memfis		 Back in Town		    (boom)
11	Ribbiks		 dwmp13_rbk		    (boom)
12	BloodyAcid	 Tuskmunday		    (boom)
13	scifista42	 The Space Base 2	    (boom)
VLR wad: schwerpunk's updated map was added

BOOM wad: I edited Katamori's map slightly to prevent getting stuck, and ClonedPickle's map was moved to the zdoom wad because of more zdoomisms.

You said map 5 was mine and map04 was cloned pickle.

And what happened to Plutonia 2 map 32 music?
You couldn't get it? Or will I have to do it?

If that's the case, tell me a dos lump editor so ican.

Here, have some FDAS of the BOOM wad: http://www.solidfiles.com/d/33a9fd1020/

I played through all of them although I couldn't finish most of them. My thoughts:

Map01: I'll confess that I'm not very good at slaughter maps, so keep that in mind. I think I attempted it 3 times or so -- I got the furthest on my last attempt and gave up after that. Severe lack of ammunition; I kept expecting to find an ammo cache somewhere, but I never did. Spent most of the time bleeding for ammo.

Map02: Very short. The map looked pretty plain, although I did get sort of an oldschool Doom 2 vibe from it, which is always nice. The outdoor texturing and architecture actually looked fairly interesting, so maybe more could have been done with that? The indoor chaingunner stuff was very easy and straight forward -- the stuff with the doors was an entertaining gimmick, although I wouldn't recommend it for a larger level.

Map03: This map was very long, fights were well thought out, very deliberate, gets pretty hectic at certain points. My only concern is that the map could border on un-winnable if you don't find the BFG -- the Spider Demon trap, while very cool, pretty much requires it alongside the Cyberdemon encounter. The map's style seems okay, although it does run together at certain parts and is a little plain. Nice map otherwise.

Map04: Awful, like something you'd expect to see off the D!Zone disc.

Map05: Tyson map; it should be pretty evident that I'm terrible at stuff like this. Most of the demo consists of me trying to get monsters to infight and gets pretty dull. The map started getting crowded after I went for the blue key, so I basically attempted a blind speed run. Got killed at the two switches.

Map06: Got a great Episode 3 vibe from this, good job with that. The starting area scores a 10/10 on the annoying meter for putting a blind jump right in front of the player at the start; I wound up throwing myself off ledges initially until I realized there was a very small platform I couldn't see. Pretty much everything else was fine; fights were reasonably tense, got killed at the fake exit switch -- a pretty good map!

Map07: How is this even beatable?

Map08: Really nice, really clean looking. Fights got pretty hectic, though was largely manageable -- I think I made things harder for myself by charging around like an idiot. My only complaint was that, while nice looking, the map looked largely identical throughout. That ragequit warning was very nice. :)

Map09: An easy slaughter map. Looks very simple. I got killed a couple of times because I'm a boob.

Map10: Barely survived this; the fights are really well done and extremely tense. Just enough health and ammo to ensure the map is playable but keeps you on your toes the entire time. My only complaint is that I got seriously lost, and I'm pretty sure I spent upwards of a minute or two just trying to figure out where the heck I was supposed to go -- that blue door is very hard to find.

Map11: I loved the aesthetic and the music, the game play not so much. This map requires either MASSIVE amounts of luck or complete fore-knowledge of what's coming. I got screwed over during the archvile fight due to the rocket-launcher safety, but I couldn't get any farther than that.

Map12: Probably my favorite map of the wad; this has a serious Tricks and Traps feel to it. While the map does require a bit of luck, this map was insanely fun. It's not much graphically, but I think that works out fine for this level.

Map13: I liked the look of this level... and that's about all I can say. It's hard and I died a lot. :/

BlueFeena said
MAP04: Awful. Like something from a D!Zone disc.

Thanks for the review! This map was actually a sort of practice with the phone i have. Dont worry. Im not making another crazy boss map again.

@ Ribbiks: thanks for the demo, mate, pretty solid run. I was secretly hoping that someone would relieve me from the need to record the thing myself to show the intended/possible strats. Of course it can be faster at times (especially collecting ammo, hehe), but not like I'm the one to talk about perfection with my 'record first exit max and be done with it' attitude. It's all just a matter of will and time. And I really like how you dealt with some of the fights, clever and efficient (but come on, those chaingunners aren't that dangerous to face them in the open, they're very good at killing each other without much effort from your side).

@ BlueFeena: I can feel your frustration. The funny thing is that your first move was actually correct, you only got unlucky with that cyber blocking your way, should have waited a bit longer near the starting alcove. And on your subsequent attempts you started making mistakes with crowd movement control. I don't blame you, it's not that obvious at a first glance. Ribbiks' demo pretty much shows my own way of dealing with this fight.

Thanks to all who has played/suffered through my map. And good luck to those who are about to dive in, you're gonna need it.

Fellowzdoomer said:

Thanks for the review! This map was actually a sort of practice with the phone i have.

Yea, and you also wanted to make a project with your crappy resources.

@Bluefeena : Here's a tip for you: When the door doesn't has the exit sign than it proves that it isn't the exit. Oh and don't forget that you shouldn't go to tight spaces when you have low health unless there's no other way.

I just IDDT'd my map and found a smiley, what does that mean?