Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Keeper of Jericho

Five Rooms of Doom: (32/32) - now on idgames

BlueFeena said:

Am I doing something wrong, here? I've played several of these maps -- including yours, Cell -- and I'm getting HOM effects all over the place. For Map17, I'm getting HOMs whenever ROCK3 is used (which pretty much constitutes half the map.)

I'm using the texture pack that was provided in the OP, problems persisting despite what port I use (GL-PrBoom-Plus gives me HOM effects, and many of these maps straight up crash in BOOM.EXE.)

Also, i r r e g a r d l s s is a swear word now?

It really isn't a word at all.

TheMionicDonut said:

I assume he meant "i r r e g a r d l e s s".

Regardless of this debate... y'know, I only tested my level against PrBoom+. I hope that doesn't come back to bite me in the ass, although if it's going to, I suppose it'd be better to know sooner than later.

TheMionicDonut said:

Well spotted. :P

I tried Map17 in GZDoom, gl/prboom-plus and BOOM.EXE. GZDoom ran it all without a hitch; it seemed as if it was trying to load standard Doom 2 textures on the fly, as I noticed a brief HOM effect on vanilla Map01 after the screen melted. All the problems went away and Cell's map worked without a hitch.

GL/PrBoom-plus gave me the aforementioned HOM effects; they only appeared when certain stock Doom 2 texture were visible. I'll admit that I had some difficulty loading the wads through the command line, as PrBoom-plus failed to load either 5rtxt.wad or 5rooms17.wad on more than one occasion. Does PrBoom-plus's -file command work differently than what I might be expecting?

In BOOM.EXE, Map17 straight up crashes when I run it. Ran it as thus in DosBox:

And I got:

By the way, I'm not trying to pick on Cell or anything; I'm using his map as an example as it's the most recent project update and everyone's paying attention to it. I've gotten similar / identical problems on other maps throughout the thread.

Okay, I did an (not betting if last) update for the map, during which I've replaced all "ROCK3" textures with "ROCK3 1", a texture which was renamed during a wrong assignment due to - maybe - SLumpEd and XWE teamwork screwup. Since I don't know whether the BOOM error log writes only the first encounter or lists them all, I'm not swearing this might work for you, better try ASAP.

Will raise awareness for KOJ: use the latest Mediafire version of MAP17 if compiled in, not the one I mailed him some hours earlier.

Now it's changed to "WOOD12 not found" :E

And yea, it's definitely only the first encountered error. I had a similar problem on the level I'm working on, where one of the stock WOOD textures made Boom crash.

It looks like GZDoom is designed to accommodate texture mismatches -- which would explain why it's the only one I can get to run the various maps without problems -- while older source ports simply get grumpy but run, while really old source ports quit to DOS with an error message.

there were always been a lot of problems with the texture pack since the beginning of the project: missing textures, typos into the textures definition, etc. unfortunatly i had no time to learn how all of this work, otherwise i would have fixed this long time ago... and yes the zdoom family is really tolerant regarding textures issues, while boom-derived are not.

Might be better if the entire CC texture pack is redone. Which means, obviously, a lot of hard work.

hard work

Oooh, damnit, won't even touch DB in the following two weeks at least!!

Cacowad said:

there were always been a lot of problems with the texture pack since the beginning of the project: missing textures, typos into the textures definition, etc. unfortunatly i had no time to learn how all of this work, otherwise i would have fixed this long time ago... and yes the zdoom family is really tolerant regarding textures issues, while boom-derived are not.

Same goes for me. GZDoom runs everything fine, but Boom fucks up the textures big time. In the beginning I assumed it was just my system, because everyone in this thread seemed to have no trouble with running it in Boom.

Personally I don't understand where all these texture errors are coming from, since what I basically did was take the CC4-texture pack and replace the episode 1 sky, and nothing more. =/ Maybe someone more experienced at editing in textures and stuff like that should take a better look at it, because I have little experience with editing wad-files like that. >.<

Oh, and Cell, I took your map from the link in this thread, so I hope that's the correct one?

Sign me up for another map, I've got an E3 map I'm working on right now.

Working title: Emperor's Ridge

EDIT: And the first "room" is done.

You like floating imps?

Keeper of Jericho said:

Oh, and Cell, I took your map from the link in this thread, so I hope that's the correct one?

Exactly, but it does count when, because if you've taken it yesterday before about 9:55 pm., you should now re-take it from the link.

I saw the headline about still looking for maps, liked the project description and whipped up a quick map today. However, its not quite working in Boom yet - I was trying to fidget in some other-than-ordinary teleporter behavior (multiple teleporter exits onto "a" (really several) rising sector(s)) and have so far only been able to hack something to this effect in ZDOOM...

Anyway, I'm calling it quits for today, but if you're really in the need of another map here, then I'll see if I can't make this work in Boom. The map would work best as a fast episode 1 blast, but could also work as an episode 3 quick-snack for a souped-up marine...

Screen, room 2 of 5:

Current version of "Needles and Pins" (currently residing at the map29 slot):
http://www.weebly.com/uploads/2/8/1/9/2819457/np.wad

Its the first time I map with the Community Chest texture pack by the way - it frigging RAWKS! And from day 1, its well constructed and thematically cherry picked. Nice! Props to the guys that have put that thing together and kept it up to date.

As a side note and for the record - if you guys ever do another update to it, you're more than welcome to hand-pick any of the textures I (sverre kvernmo) did for eternal doom's resources, if any should be deemed worthy after all this time. There's at least one switch-texture in there (the yellow glowing dirt-face) that could do some good filling in one of the empty spaces in the mega-switch texture, if nothing else. Perhaps a few choices from the blue side of the palette, if you're looking in that direction. And another animated tech-panel never hurts. And them slimy bubbles, wherever they went. Anyway, I know its probably enough of a job already to get someone to do an update - but they're there for the taking if you please. I'd be mega-honored if one or two are Doomworld worthy.

PS...
Sorry for Zdoom-barging a Boom thread.

EDITs: in order of appearance - added map number, /img'ed the screenshot, some formatting & typo correction...

Wow 28 maps completed, you guys are doing good job.
I'm glad that more than a year has passed since I built the 3 maps I contributed to the project :D

http://www.solidfiles.com/d/9615e76696/

I went through every wad I have, tracked down as many texture errors I could and made a hotfix for it. By no means should this be treated as an "official" fix for the Boom texture problems. You should be able to do your mapping with 5RTXT.WAD and as long as you add 5RFIX.WAD to the -file command everything should work.

List of wads that I tracked down problems with, if you don't like me complaining about the file names then get over it:

Texture Errors Fixed:

Map03 Canyon.wad

Map07 5r_map7.wad

Map14 5ROOMS~1.WAD (Poor performance, HOM effects, SNOW5 had an erroneous space in it? Also, use 8 character long file names.)

Map14 TMD-H1~1.WAD (Alternate MAP14? Also, no idea what the file name is because sparky here doesn't know what 8 character long file names are.)

Map15 5RMHIT~1.WAD (Cool file name bro.)

Map17 5rooms17.wad

Map21 MAP01_21.WAD (Duplicate / alternate MAP21? Poor performance in Boom.)

Map22 MAP22_32.wad (This map is identical to the above Map21?)

Map24 BLOODY~1.WAD (I'm going to keep harping on these file names because do you have ANY IDEA how irritating it is to have to add "~1" to all this shit?)

Map25 5ROD-M~1.WAD (Wanted a texture with an "&" symbol and a space, no bullshit, also "COMP2A 8A" I think. File name.)

??? COURTY~1.WAD (File name, also, I think I have an old version of the wad?)

UNFIXABLE:

Map21 5R_WIN~1.WAD (Misnamed "Snow ?" texture, I shit you not. Wad caused a Segmentation Violation in Boom; testing halted. Also, sweet file name.) This just popped into my head; did you use the wrong node builder? The last time I saw this was when I used some fancy ZDoom node builder and ran the map in Boom.

Map30 5R_ECH~1.WAD (Demanded SNOW6, which I think I renamed for the above wad? I couldn't figure out how to get XWE to to link a texture entry to a patch name so I gave up.)

Edit: Just fixed the patch problem with SKY2, it now displays correctly and shows the entire sky in Boom.

i didn't checked those two from ages... map 21 is too vertex-heavy, i have to cut out a lot of them. i will make some quality changes to those two, but i need some time.

PROTIP: use slade, seriously, or you will have a great chance to blew everithing up.

edit: so far i think i have cutted out 8000 verticles from map 21,and another 1000 still have to go. man this was really bad by my part.

Do we still have time to make at least some changes to our maps and not lose our spot? Mine as I have stated is done but I think the other difficulties have been neglected on Map 20.

Okay so I decided to update my current submission. I thought I was already slated for an E2 map, particularly in MAP20?

Here's the updated third version of Courtyards of Bodycount, it is on the MAP20 slot now as I had previously hoped it would be.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/7fm90cu71v9oj2d/

But if there isn't room now I guess it's okay for it to go to E3.

BlueFeena said:

if you don't like me complaining about the file names then get over it:

Why the hell should that matter? It's all getting compiled into a single WAD by the end of the day, which will presumably respect 8.3 naming conventions.

Springy said:

Do we still have time to make at least some changes to our maps and not lose our spot? Mine as I have stated is done but I think the other difficulties have been neglected on Map 20.

You can still make some changes, that's not a problem.

i finally edited out map 21, but prboom seems to just ignore it when i do -file "mywadname".wad -complevel 9 -map 21. also this texture pack causes a lot of homs and glitches in the standard doom2 levels (just look at map01). are you sure this pack was even meant for boom?

edit: i just found out this from the slade3's textures guide:

"In vanilla Doom, the PNAMES/TEXTURE1 lumps are not cumulative, which means that only the last one loaded is read. As a result, if you create a new TEXTURE1 lump, it will need to contain a copy of all the texture definitions from the base resource archive otherwise you will not be able to use the stock Doom textures at all! (Again, some source ports such as ZDoom allow for cumulative loading of texture lumps, but if you were making this for ZDoom you wouldn't have had to convert everything; you could have just copy-pasted everything like in the 5th episode example above and it would have been done.)"

that may be the cause of some problems...

Shadow Hog said:

Why the hell should that matter? It's all getting compiled into a single WAD by the end of the day, which will presumably respect 8.3 naming conventions.

You're right; pretty silly in retrospect.

I think at the time, when I had a DOS window, XWE, and notepad all exploded across my screen, it was... grating my cheese? :P

By the way, are linedefs 271 and 272 (Transfer sky texture to tagged sector) allowed at all? I aim to create sectors with different skyboxes, but how other Boom ports would react to this? Do they still show that episode skybox?

And another question, related to this; Are 256 x 256 sky textures only option? Because, I tried to use SKY2 texture (1024 x 256), but it cuts out quarter and loops as it is.

Boom can render the 1024x256 SKY2 image. For whatever reason, the texture wasn't set up properly to use the rest of the patches -- using Slade 3, the texture can easily be fixed.

Huh. I checked through the CC4 texture pack, and it was indeed all right. Texture pack is indeed bit messy...

.:edit:.
Okay, so I did checking. And I didn't like what I saw in TEXTURE1 in the texture pack. In short version, it would take time to fix and polish.

Then I took some liberties, copied CC4 texture pack (since most of the textures are from there, right?), replaced the intended sky without larger hassle (I hope so!) and tested myself for too short time.

In case anyone want to see and test, here's the fixed file in question:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/93yu1w825mjsltt/5rtxt_fix.wad

Well, if the discussion about the texture issues come to an end, I'd be in need of some feedback whether my map's non-technical (gameplay-wise) parts are needing cleanup or so. I'd really be sticking for the MAP17 slot, but if it's definitely not the case (too hard, already got better for it, etc.), at least let it become MAP19.

I did not work on my map for the whole year.. because I was too lazy... but I slowly finishing it now... I am just not sure if I make it in time.. before map slots are filled.. in the worst case I just release it separatly.. or abandon it.

As this is still going and I've had an idea to test, I've started on a map. Give me 5-10 days and you'll have another one. If I'm beaten to completion, it's no big loss as I still want to make the map anyway :P

I believe you're only interested in intended episode for submissions and you'll be glad to know this will slot in wherever! The map name will be Warpzone II. Those familiar with the original should now know roughly what to expect in terms of concept.

EDUT: Bit of evidence that I'm working on it here

Blegh, I'm really over due with Fortress of Magic. It still needs some work, but the overall design is done.

Fortress of Magic beta version (Warp to map20, just picked it arbitrarily.)

Also, here's another level I'm working on, hopefully I can snag the last Episode 1 slot (it looks like I missed out on Episode 2, so it looks like FoM will be in Episode 3.) I'm still working on getting it within the room count; the final corridor area I think constitutes 3 rooms, putting it over the limit. I was trying to pull off some fancy 3d ceiling bullshit to make it all look like one continuous room, but I couldn't get it to work.

Untitled Episode 1 Map (warp to map01.)