Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Death Egg

Switcheroom! Or, what if E1M1 was E3M1? (Release Candidate 3, aiming for whenever)

Okay so everything up until E3M3 is bug fixed. E3M3 is when the big bugs started to show up, I found at least 2 spots where there are visplane overflows & at least 3 spots where there are drawseg overflows. I also noticed 2 drawseg overflows in E3M8. I'm going to leave it to Magnusblitz to fix these issues because it will require some big changes to the maps to get them within limits. I'm going to be quite busy attempting to fix all of the issues with E3M4 for the next few days because there are a ton of things wrong with that map.

E3M3
Visplane 1 - At soul sphere looking toward bridge
Drawseg 1 - At soul sphere looking toward bridge
Drawseg 2 - Down in lava pit near soul sphere looking toward bridge
Visplane 2 - On lift to take me out of lava pit near soul sphere looking toward exit
Drawseg 3 - On steps by red key door looking toward bridge

E3M8
Drawseg 1 - Near thing #56 (Tree Stump) looking in direction of green armor
Drawseg 2 - In sector #308 (secret) looking toward all of the items, ammo, & powerups on lifts.

Jaws In Space said:

E3M3
Visplane 1 - At soul sphere looking toward bridge
Drawseg 1 - At soul sphere looking toward bridge
Drawseg 2 - Down in lava pit near soul sphere looking toward bridge
Visplane 2 - On lift to take me out of lava pit near soul sphere looking toward exit
Drawseg 3 - On steps by red key door looking toward bridge

E3M8
Drawseg 1 - Near thing #56 (Tree Stump) looking in direction of green armor
Drawseg 2 - In sector #308 (secret) looking toward all of the items, ammo, & powerups on lifts.

I'll make an attempt at fixing it but no promises. E4M3 is a very difficult map to work with (even the IWAD version comes very close to the static limits). I should probably be able to fix up E3M8 though.

http://speedy.sh/VBj4w/e3m3-fix.wad

Try this one out... I got close to both limits in a lot of places but never went over. The problem spots seemed to be:

1) in the lava near the soulsphere looking towards the bridge
2) west of the blue key structure, looking towards the lift from the lava (and the switch to the RL)
3) standing in the exit structure looking towards the blue key

I added another wall near the west lava elevator, removed a few extra visplanes (goodbye, skulls in the bridge... sniff...) and added impassible cages to the exit structure since there were visplane errors if you stood on the raised ledge.

I'm honestly not too concerned with going over the seg limit since all it does is cause a HOM, and lots of times only going over by a few causes HOMs in areas you can't even see with the naked eye in vanilla/chocolate DOOM. The visplane errors are obviously more serious.

Also, fixed a texture alignment issue in the west part of the map near the plasma gun.

E3M8 will take a bit more reworking (since the HOMs it causes are more obvious), but I'll get on that.

scifista42 said:

Great! I hope you're gonna make it an actual community project. I'd participate then. Your idea, unlike the mine, sounds interesting yet simple and easily organizable at the same time.

Cool, but I'm waiting for other people's (and Death Egg's) opinions, also I don't feel like to be in charge of the sequel (making the new thread for myself, in a few days I may get abscent due to vacations), but in case people like my idea, I have already made a texture pack with Final Doom textures and animations for Doom 2. Similar to the "Only E1 textures for E1" rule, maps with TNT style will only use TNT textures and viceversa, and that applies for both waterfall textures. Also for the skies, people will be allowed to use the boom effect "Transfer Sky Texture to tagged sectors" but the map should be still playable on Vanilla.

gothic said:

Also for the skies, people will be allowed to use the boom effect "Transfer Sky Texture to tagged sectors" but the map should be still playable on Vanilla.

They wouldn't have to if the output of the project were actually 2 separate megawads. 32 maps for TNT and 32 for Plutonia. But I know I know, gaining 64 maps in total is quite an unrealistic goal, it probably wouldn't meet success. (But who knows?) Anyway, it's great you took the effort to create that Final Doom texture pack.

So, other people, would you also like if Switcheroom was continued with a Switcheroom 2: PluTNT Edition? (as gothic named it)

Jaws In Space said:

I'm going to be quite busy attempting to fix all of the issues with E3M4 for the next few days because there are a ton of things wrong with that map.

why not let me try and fix them?

Major apologies for the bump, but has there been any further progress in the last month? I've been AWOL and I'm glad I checked back in. Very happy to read about everything up to E3 being bugfixed. Not intending to rush anything; just very curious the status of things.

Jaws in Space and company are doing their best in the separate bugfix thread, the last post there was just a few days ago. I believe Jaws in Space is currently doing fixes to E4.

We're kinda/sorta in limbo, at the moment. I've PMed Jaws and haven't heard anything from him. I've seen him post elsewhere so he might just be done with the project. Walter pointed out some additional bugs (mainly some small tuttis) that I'll fix. At that point I'll work on moving towards a final release candidate...

Magnusblitz said:

We're kinda/sorta in limbo, at the moment. I've PMed Jaws and haven't heard anything from him. I've seen him post elsewhere so he might just be done with the project. Walter pointed out some additional bugs (mainly some small tuttis) that I'll fix. At that point I'll work on moving towards a final release candidate...

Really? I responded.

No problem. It's a little outdated now though. E4M5 is nearly done, only item placement needs work. E4M8 is still about halfway done with bug fixes. E4M9 has about 75% of the bugs removed. I'd say I would be done by next weekend, but I moving this week so I'm going to be to busy to work on it for a little while.

Hi!

Is this WAD supposed to be Vanilla-compatible? There are problems with quite a few of the levels. For example, E1M1 exits with "R_TextureNumForName: not found" on start. Lots of maps have truncated REJECT lumps (E1M2, E1M3, E2M1, many others). This should really be fixed and ought to be trivial to fix.

Other issues like visplane overflows are probably more insidious and difficult to detect. Has anyone playtested all the levels in Chocolate Doom to look for such crashes?

EDIT: Other pedantic nitpick: the text file has lines that are more than 100 columns long. Please keep to an 80 column limit (length of the ==== line), otherwise it will be difficult to read on Doomworld's idgames interface.

fraggle said:

Other issues like visplane overflows are probably more insidious and difficult to detect. Has anyone playtested all the levels in Chocolate Doom to look for such crashes?

First of all, thanks for the feedback, fraggle.

Secondly, I've got almost up to E3 in Chocolate Doom, and haven't noticed any visplane crashes, although it's possible they exist. I guess the easiest way to check would be load up each map in (GZ)DB(2), and run Visplane Explorer on it.

I wouldn't trust any editor to be able to tell you for certain whether a level is "visplane safe": you need to run it in Vanilla, Chocolate or (best) chocorenderlimits. Even things like the screen size you're running at can affect whether the visplane limit is reached, so you should always run fullscreen (no status bar).

From some of the earlier discussion in the thread it seems people have been using chocorenderlimits for development and testing in Chocolate Doom so hopefully it should mostly be okay. But it would be nice to see those broken REJECT lumps fixed. What editor is even generating those? It would be good to find out so that we can get that bug fixed.

Easiest solution is to load and save each level in an editor that generates valid REJECT lumps; the best solution (though more time consuming) is to run the levels through an optimized REJECT builder like RMB.

Thanks for pointing to the RMB nodebuilder, I'll make sure that's done. And the text file.

Jaws In Space (and a couple others) have been testing in ChocoRL; I'm pretty sure at this point every map is okay on seg/visplane limits. E3M8 might still have a few seg overflows.

Awesome, that's great to hear. I suspected as much but it's good to hear it confirmed.

I'm still curious about how the REJECT lumps are broken though (all seem to be truncated to zero length). For whoever made (or last edited) the following levels, what editor are you using?

E1M3, E1M4, E1M6, E1M9, E2M1, E2M3, E2M5, E2M6, E3M9

I know that for the maps I have worked on - e1m6, e1m9 & e2m1 the reject will likely be missing as the version of Slade I use doesn't make it (the built-in node builder configuration that is).