Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sicamore

Zandronum Saturday Night Survival #106 - Perdition's Gate with Weasel's Diaz

Perdition's Gate comes into the spotlight this week. A 32-map PWAD developed by Wraith Corporation, this nice project was once distributed on a CD. We shall be playing it all with WildWeasel's Diaz, which adds cool monsters, weapons and effects to liven up Doom's gameplay.

IWAD: DOOM2.wad
WADs: PG-RAW, wwhcdiaz, coopmthru_vanilla, Fuzzball's text colors
What day: Saturday, January 11th, 2013
What time: 18:00 UTC
United Kingdom: 19:00
Russia / Moscow: 22:00
Eastern Time (US): 2:00 PM
Where: Vicious Pariah's servers
More info...

Get Zandronum and check out modern Doom.

Sicamore said:

WADs: [/b]PG-RAW

Sorry man, I don't mean to be an asshole/ruin this, but if I'm not mistaken that's not allowed.

Good luck with this though, unfortunately I don't have Zandronum. I mean, it seems to have some issues with my PC, so I can't download.

EDIT: Clarity.
EDIT2: Ooops, sorry.

The author himself posted a link to the disk contents, so its legal to distribute; but although the whole file should be included, we've just hosted the one that houses the actual maps. Essentially this isn't really right, but its done for the sake of loading properly.

Sicamore said:

The author himself posted a link to the WAD, so its legal to distribute; but although the whole file should be included, we've just hosted the one that houses the actual maps. Essentially this isn't really right, but its done for the sake of loading properly.

I think Tom Mustaine's permission should be enough, but apparently it isn't, given that the copyright is owned by Atari, IIRC. Now, I'm not really sure about this, but just to avoid any trouble/misunderstanding, I'd suggest you contact an admin.

Again, good luck with this, and good night.

Sicamore said:

The author himself posted a link to the disk contents, so its legal to distribute; but although the whole file should be included, we've just hosted the one that houses the actual maps. Essentially this isn't really right, but its done for the sake of loading properly.

Regrettably, Tom Mustaine doesn't own the rights to distribute Perdition's Gate, in spite of being the creator and main author of the project.

From PERDGATE.TXT:
"The unprocessed PERDITION'S GATE pwads (pg-raw.wad and pg-raw-x.wad) and the install.exe are copyright (c) 1996, Wraith Corporation All Rights Reserved."

Assuming that hasn't changed, James Elson should be the person to have a word with regarding distribution and possible re-licensing of the wads as freely distributable.

It's been played before for events, and didn't really create a ruckus - however I guess legal issues are bad issues. I'll look into contacting the owners (if possible), but for now changing the WAD makes most sense.

Unless anyone wants to buy a CD for everyone and be a sweetheart ._.

I think you don't need to change the wad. It's only Doomworld admins who are stubborn about anything copyright-related, noone else cares. Perdition's Gate was already played in ZDaemon FMM and AFAIK Ronald didn't get sued yet.

You know what? I'm going to support Perdition's gate out of principle. This is one of those situations where copyright zeal does more harm than good. I suppose we should let it disappear so whoever owns the rights can decide to sell Doom WADs 10 years from now?

Sicamore said:

Unless anyone wants to buy a CD for everyone and be a sweetheart ._.

All I can find on eBay right now is a Don Tynan paperback by that name, which probably doesn't help much.