Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

zdoom/gzdoom on a 1ghz celeron notebook

I've been running into a few problems. First, turning off scaling in windows video options doesn't allow full screen unless I'm in 1024x768, in which case it's way too slow. I thought I could give a bit of a boost by running gzdoom, but the textures are all grey. This is on a 2000 notebook with a 16mb Trident video card (gpu-z doesn't even have information on it). Isn't gzdoom or zdoom meant to run on these specs?

invictius said:

This is on a 2000 notebook

You mean a 14-year-old notebook?

Zdoom should work, but at lower resolutions, of course.

GZDoom: clearly no. The graphics hardware is way too weak for the GL renderer.
Even the very first GZDoom which never was released - that was around 2001 or 2002 - needed something better.

ZDoom might run on a Pentium I if you stick to IWAD maps at resolutions of 640x480, tops. Older versions got inexplicably slow if you loaded PWADs, though.

ZDoom and ZDaemon are playable on a Pentium-III class machine such as yours even with huge maps if you keep the resolution at 800 x 600, tops.

Graf Zahl said:

GZDoom: clearly no. The graphics hardware is way too weak for the GL renderer.

If you can even call it that -I think the Trident is merely a S3 with more RAM, which means its actually worse with its pathetic excuse for "hardware acceleration" turned on, assuming it doesn't revert to software emulation right away.

I used to run ZDoom on a 600 MHz Pentium 3 notebook with 256 MB RAM. It was tolerable enough; I never had screen resolution any higher than 512x384 (which nicely pixel-doubled to the screen's native 1024x768), but I dared not play any megawads more complex than Scythe, and even my own wwhc-diaz.wad tended to slow things down (on anything other than IWAD maps) unless I dropped the screen resolution to 320x200. Rarely broke 35 FPS; I had cl_capfps on all the time, anyway.

That said: the thing was playable by my standards. More playable, at least, than Half-Life.

No. It might slow down loading but during gameplay it should not matter because all texture data gets precached as well as most sounds.

Graf Zahl said:

No. It might slow down loading but during gameplay it should not matter because all texture data gets precached as well as most sounds.

Hmm, that's odd then. Even maps like HR2 and invasion-style ones run fine on my 1.5ghz atom notebook with intel GMA something-or-other.

invictius said:

Hmm, that's odd then. Even maps like HR2 and invasion-style ones run fine on my 1.5ghz atom notebook with intel GMA something-or-other.

Well that atom is 1.5x the clock speed, with at least 4x the memory bandwidth and cache than the Celeron. Plus the GPU is many times faster than the Trident. On top of all that, the Atom is probably more efficient at executing instructions than the Tualatin.

In any case, it doesn't sound like you'll have much luck with the Celeron. If the video can be scaled depends on the hardware. The older laptops I have will only scale if it's perfect pixel doubling (512x384 for you, 400x300 for me). Increasing the resolution is harder on the processor since on top of increasing the number of pixels that need to be rendered, the number of cache misses are increased. Not helped by the fact that the Celeron has a small cache. I'm sure you can run ZDoom at 320x200 better than the 486. ;)

I use a 1.6 GHZ 216 mb of ram and find that Zdoom runs fine on software mode. Wouldn't recommend using hardware as you need a moderately good computer for the 3d floors and OpenGL and such.