Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mouldy

Going Down

I feel like the nonsense is going for the Holy Magical Number of 32 instead of stopping at whatever feels appropriate for the project.

Not exactly the annoying fact that the entire project seems unfinished or something - but if they're doing that, at least they'd be also doing something for the player in order not to be able to enter the next level (seeing the original - e.g. - MAP22 after 21 miraculous and well-designed levels is kinda ruining illusion). Not even to do a premise for the "Holy Magical Number 32". You've chosen to do a MegaWad, alright? Keep the fucking enthusiasm burn for the entire project, the hell of it!

Or, if you stop at a certain point, at least don't allow players do the rest of the work like they're playing Doom2.wad.

Yeah if I did stop short of 32 I would probably add a "the end" map with no exit. I'll have a think about it, i'm not in any particular hurry to get it all done so could just slowly chip away at it.

Cell said:

You've chosen to do a MegaWad, alright?

The official definition of "megawad" for the /idgames archive is "at least 15 levels". :p

@Gez: I did not know that.

Mouldy, these tight monster infested levels are usually not my style, but I have to admit I've been having a blast playing this on HMP... I personally don't think you should go for 32 levels if you aren't feeling it, so far every level has felt unique and I'd rather see that continue.

Gez said:

The official definition of "megawad" for the /idgames archive is "at least 15 levels". :p

I thought I read it was 20.

I assume for WADs with over 40 or 45 levels the term 'GigaWad' should be given. Just sayin'.

My personal view on that is:

15-31 is a MegaWAD
32 is a "full" MegaWAD
33-63 is still a MegaWAD
64 is a HyperWAD
96 is an OhmygWAD

Gez said:

The real question is to know how many maps you need to get a kilowad.

For a kilowad you need 10 maps, each consisting of 100 linedefs. ;)

^The /idgames archive. :I

(apologizes to mouldy for all this off-topic, I won't continue any more)

Okay, back to topic. How deep is it turning out to become?

Cell said:

Okay, back to topic. How deep is it turning out to become?

I should be penetrating the earth's crust by map 20. I'm guessing things will get a little strange after that.

Wow, I'm loving this so far, you really give Doom's stock textures justice.... very inspiring maps with exciting gameplay that's right up my alley! :)

Nice work so far, and good luck on completing it, whether completing it means finishing 32 maps or 20 maps.

thanks guys! Currently working on the secret maps, I figure I have to have those even if I don't make it to the full 32

Phobus said:

My personal view on that is:

15-31 is a MegaWAD
32 is a "full" MegaWAD
33-63 is still a MegaWAD
64 is a HyperWAD
96 is an OhmygWAD

30000 is a TrollWAD

Just bumping this with some progress.. Episode 2 is about 90% done, just one more map to do and then a load of gameplay tweaking. This episode will have more monsters and more chaos (although I might have to tone it down a bit..)

It'll probably be ready in a couple of weeks. Here are some pics from the picture thread:

A mess that happened

A mess waiting to happen

An unholy place

An unholy mess

Random question, you planning an epic boss fight for the last map? And I mean epic in the actual sense, not the bastardized internet version. :)

Obsidian said:

Random question, you planning an epic boss fight for the last map? And I mean epic in the actual sense, not the bastardized internet version. :)

I'll start thinking about the final chapter after I finish this episode, I'm gonna go for the full 32 maps no matter how long it takes. If by boss fight you mean using a monster that wasn't in the original doom then that might be beyond my expertise, but I will try and make it as epic as I can whatever happens.

Alright. In case you want a new monster, flick me a PM and I can piece something together for you.

I really hope that the last map has you emerging on the other side via an upside-down building in China.