Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NuMetalManiak

Boom map help: How do I darken these walls?

So I learned a few tricks for Boom maps for this area of a map, including different floor/ceiling sector lighting as well as a glowing lava (the lava glows in the map, but you can't tell from the pic.)

But is there a way to darken some of the lighted walls there? I especially want the gray walls to be dark. They look bad lighted up when the other walls are dark.

You can use trigger 213 and 261 to set floor and ceiling brightness separatly.
If you want the lava floor to be the brightest simply lower the brightness of the whole room. Then draw a dummy sector with a higher brightness level and give one sidedef trigger 213 and one trigger 261 and both the same tag.
Now set the same tag to your lava floor and your done.

I hope its understandable if not here is good explanation of this boom feature.

oops looks like i`ve misread..you allready know how to set brightness seperatly..anyways have you tried to darken those sectors with the bright walls and then make floor and ceiling brighter via trigger 213 and 261

How are you darkening the other walls and why can't you use the same method for those? Given the angles they have, it's not a fake contrast issue.

if I'm feeling too lazy to make some dummy sectors with boom actions I often just put thin (1px or less) sectors against regions of walls that I want to be a different brightness.

Ribbiks said:

if I'm feeling too lazy to make some dummy sectors with boom actions I often just put thin (1px or less) sectors against regions of walls that I want to be a different brightness.

Yeah, and sometimes I don't make them thin at all and it's obvious the floor/ceiling brightness changes, as a "design feature".

Also, with that lava floor, the bright grey walls should not be darkened, but the dark grey walls should be brightened!

I think I'll go with Ribbiks' suggestion. Thanks fellas.

Also, with that lava floor, the bright grey walls should not be darkened, but the dark grey walls should be brightened!

The lava glows from dark to bright. In that case, I dunno what to do there either I guess.

Torniquet - when following your instructions, nothing seems to happen.

The main room has a cross-shaped walkway with one lava pit in each corner, all sector 0, the walkway being sector 1. I set the brightness for the room to 160.

I create the dummy sector and give one Linedef action 261, another action 213. I change the sector reference for all four linedefs to sector 0 (the lava pits).

When I view the map in DB2 or try to play it, I get very bright lava pits with bright ceiling, a very dark walkway with dark ceiling, exactly if I hadn't bothered with the dummy sector at all.

What am I doing wrong?

MajorRawne said:

Torniquet - when following your instructions, nothing seems to happen.

What am I doing wrong?

Hm sounds like you've done everything the right way.

Ok take a look at this.
I`ve drawn a small example room in DB2 maybe it helps to find the failure.

MajorRawne, I don't think you have to change sector references, at least I didn't do it. I believe you just have to tag the 213 and 261 linedefs (in the dummy sector) the same tag as the sector(s) you want to light up the floor/ceiling.

Just to make sure I'm not being a tard, I set the sector tag for the lava sector to 1 (for example), then in the linedef properties for the two linedefs in the dummy sector, I change their sector tag to 1? I'm sure I tried that and nothing happened.

MajorRawne said:

What am I doing wrong?

What are you trying to achieve? A dark lava sector with bright floor?

1. The lava sector should be dark, the dummy sector should be bright.
2. Don't mess with references.
3. Don't use both actions if you only want to change floor brightness.
4. Test it in Boom-compatible engine (quite obvious, but just in case).