Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Little Faith

Freedoom in other format that .gz?

Is it possible to get the Freedoom resource file in other formats than .gz? I just downloaded shareware Winzip and it doesn't seem to be able to handle them.

Since I am written up for a level it would be really nice to have it.

I downloaded shareware WinZip also, just to unzip Freedoom, and it worked. Did you assign winzip to handle .GZ files?

Yeah... the apache server (I think) supports on-the-fly compression and IE gets confused and auto-decompresses it.

Jon said:

Yeah... the apache server (I think) supports on-the-fly compression and IE gets confused and auto-decompresses it.

IE automagically decompresses gzipped files for you, but when it asks for the filename for the downloaded file, it doesnt remove the ".gz" extension. The result is, it downloads it, decompresses it, then passes the already-decompressed file to winzip, which thinks its corrupted.

There is an explanation note of this on the website already..

Well, my IE seems not to decompress it on-the-fly. It saves the file as freedoom.wad.gz, and I can open and decompress it with WinRAR.

I just did this:

$ echo "hi, this is jon yes yes yes yes yes" > hehe.txt
$ gzip hehe.txt

Then downloaded the file with IE and catted it, and I got binary, so its not just IE. I think its an IE fault in conjunction with apache configured to do gzip compression on the fly.

Same version of IE for me decompresses the wad.gz on arioch's server but doesn't decompress that txt I gzipped on a university machine. I reckon its something to do with apache's mod_gzip

Heres the header response:

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2002 21:23:28 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.24 (Unix) Debian GNU/Linux mod_gzip/1.3.19.1a PHP/4.2.1 mod_t
hrottle/3.1.2 mod_perl/1.26
Last-Modified: Sat, 25 May 2002 20:59:32 GMT
ETag: "15a6f-34ae1e-3ceffb34"
Accept-Ranges: bytes
Content-Length: 3452446
Content-Type: application/x-doom
Content-Encoding: x-gzip

So its sending the content type as application/x-doom, but encoded using gzip compression. You may be right.

I put up a CGI for downloading that sends the correct content type, hopefully this should fix it.

Yep, it does. Thanks cph, you're clearly much more experienced with Apache than I am :)

Cool, I'm glad we got that sorted. Good work (as always) cph!