Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ASD

False memories

Things about Doom engine games you remembered wrong. For example, I've had a recollection of seeing an imp on the control panel (sector 94) besides the blue armor ledge of E1M4 flagged for skills 1-2 since the Doom95 shareware days in the 90s. It wasn't there when I played the level on ITYTD after 10 years ago and the ledge would've been too thin anyways. Another short recollection from the early Episode 2 days was that E2M3 had a BFG9000 in the corner of the blood pool before the plasma rifle and blue key. Probably mixed it with the E3M9 secret (sector 22). Was also going to mention that in Heretic v1.0 the tomed up Firemace killed Iron Liches in one hit which I checked today and was actually true. Damn, it's been a long time since I played that version.

I've had this problem too.

To give a recent example, this. I could swear I saw that demo, but no. After checking carefully, it seems the one I saw was rf141305 (Requiem MAP14, -fast). I don't know why, but maybe because Xit also has a NM run of Overwhelming Odds, from Alien Vendetta, which also happens to be MAP14. And yes, I feel like an idiot. An idiot with amnesia.

I think that after playing thousands of wads and watching hundreds of demos, some of us tend to mix up memories, which in my case means that sometimes I spend days/weeks trying to find non-existent wads/demos (like the one I mentioned). Frustrating.

I'm not sure if it's a false memory. I remember many years ago I was playing Doom on the PSX, I'm a bit fuzzy on which game it exactly was. I remember being in some kind of cavernous area with lot's of red including the ambient lighting. And I was cornered by a horde of Barons or Knights. I remember that was a moment in Doom where I was truly scared, that moody ambient music by Aubrey Hodges really added to it. Currently I'm trying to find out which level that was.

I am convinced that at some point I saw an archvile walking over the bodies of some imps it had killed itself in Doom II (not certain about the version, maybe v1.666), and not resurrecting them, so I thought that this was the expected behavior (made sense, too. Why resurrect the bastards he had just infighted with and killed?). Too bad that there's nothing in the source code to justify that behavior, so maybe I just remember wrongly.

Then again, it might have been true in v1.666, who knows.

For some reason I remember looking at the back of a box for Ultimate Doom and seeing a screenshot from a level that I never found in the game. I remember seeing a long room with a large window to an outside area, big enough so it was maybe 32 off the ground and 32 from the ceiling, two blood pools in the middle, stairs going up to a door in this room. Oh and there were a bunch of cacodemons in there. The sky in the outside area was from E2. Don't remember what was in the outside area.

I remember a monsterless level in the 4th episode. :) It had just a bunch of puzzles, mostly involving quick running to catch lowering lifts.

I remember having to climb the waterfall in Bubbleman's stage using those damn falling platforms.

...oh wait, wrong game.

No memories like this for Doom. The few early things I remember are actually there.

Eris Falling said:

Ballistyx (Final Doom MAP23) maybe?

It might be, but I can't be sure. I'm going through the hell levels of TNT right now.

Also, I remember seeing a screen shot from Doom II with the Phobos sky from the original Doom. Or at least I think I did!

For some reason I remember Wolfenstein3D having a Doom styled shotgun... I don't know why as I never played Doom as a kid, not until years after playing Wolfenstein3D.

Piper Maru said:

Also, I remember seeing a screen shot from Doom II with the Phobos sky from the original Doom. Or at least I think I did!

I can vaguely remember some preview screens of Map 15 that possibly may have had the Phobos sky as a placeholder.

buttspit said:

I thought there was a Cyberdemon fight in Doom II Industrial Zone.

There's a Cyberdemon in multiplayer that I sometimes think is in SP.

I remember thinking E1M2 and E1M3 were on the same map, so I would run around E1M2 forever trying to find this room with the idea that I'd finally figure out how to get to that spooky blue thing this time.

glenzinho said:

Piper Maru said:

I can vaguely remember some preview screens of Map 15 that possibly may have had the Phobos sky as a placeholder.

Correct, it's on the back of the Doom II box.

This is more of a misconception than a false memory, but I was convinced that Episode 3 had a loop in it or that some special Super Mario-like sequence of events was necessary in order to access the true final level .

You see, thinking I was a smart young lad, I said "fuck it, let's skip straight to (what I thought was) the final level!" and I skipped to.... E3M9. Of course, when I exited it, I realized the game didn't end....so I was like WTF, I must be missing something here.

The first time I saw Doom 2 was when my friend showed it to me, and I have a vivid recollection of seeing cages that hung from the ceiling with people (skeletons?) inside them, and you could shoot the cages to make them swing. When I tried out Doom 2 later on by myself, they were (of course) nowhere to be seen.

I think they might have actually been in Wolf3D, so maybe I'm just getting my memories crossed.

One of my friends swears to this day that there was a way to fire the SSG one barrel at a time in vanilla Doom 2.

I remember seeing chainsaw zombies and spectre-zombies one of my first times watching someone play Doom when I was five.

fraggle said:

I think they might have actually been in Wolf3D, so maybe I'm just getting my memories crossed.

There are cages with skeletons in Wolf3D, but they are perfectly static like every other non-monster thing in Wolf3D, and they certainly do not swing when shot.

I've mentioned it before, but I vividly remember seeing Tenements from Doom 2 with a Doom 1 episode 1 sky, and an archvile on one of those lifts in the corners where there's only chaingunners. It was over at a classmate's house, before either one of us had internet, so I doubt it was some edit or something. I haven't known or seen anything of Doom 2 at that point and definitely didn't know of archviles for a long time even after that. I guess I could have mistaken the sky somehow and the archvile could've been in some other place where it can agtually get to...

I mentioned this in another thread, but I'm sure I remember seeing the Arch-Vile throw monsters in the air with its attack, I think including a Cyberdemon (the Cyber bit is probably wrong though).

When my older brother played Heretic shareware in the mid-90s, I saw a level that looked something like this:

He moved slowly in the endless looking corridor which had that glowing white wall at the end. Everything back then looked unclear because of the angle I viewed the monitor + the low brightness. The real map was probably E1M1 or the E1M2 part with the multiple doors.

Since the late 90s, I remember a much bigger and slower crusher in E1M2 that almost looked like the massive dungeon secret.

Probably the Dragon Claw trap. My mind must have played tricks as everything looked bigger when the character got squashed.

I remember fighting revenant in the secret outdoor area of E1M7: Computer Station, which is completly ridiculous because there are no revenants in the ultimate doom.......

I have a confusing memory of when my oldest brother had me play ultimate dooms e4 for the first time. He insisted that I play it on nightmare (at the time I had only beat the first episode on ITYTD with cheats on) and even though I resisted I watched him select the skill and he reluctantly typed in IDDQD for me and it worked, despite cheat codes not working in nightmare. Then again he may have picked a lesser skill level and I was convinced it was nightmare because of the opening teleport ambush.

I also had a false memory where it was somehow possible to obtain the plasma gun and bfg in the shareware episode if you put in the cheat enough times or something

My earliest 'memory' of E1M1 involves a spiral stairway around a pillar in some water.

Then I played the game the next day and was all "wtf where's that pillar gone?"

One of the first times I played Doom 2 as a kid was on my uncle's PC (my computer by the time was an Intel 286, incapable of running Doom). Well, I remember that one of the levels I played was MAP12, and the final room (with the cacos on elevators going up and down) specially caught my attention.

After some years, when I finally got my own 486, I played that map again, and that room was A LOT bigger than I recalled, to the point I almost didn't recognize it.

The one that really sticks out is when I first discovered that the DOOM engine was only 2.5d. I think it was first properly highlighted to me in a promotional interview with id about Quake - some reference was made to Quake allowing for rooms over rooms, in contrast to DOOM. 'No way!', I thought, 'There are rooms above rooms in DOOM!'. I thought that I remembered a whole bunch of areas, scattered throughout the IWAD maps, with one room above another - like the enclosed raised area with the RL in E1M7, or the raised area looking over the penultimate room in E1M6 - and so went to check each one, only to find that I was mistaken. DOOM was never quite so immersive for me after that day :(