darknation

Mental Illness

batshit spastic?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. batshit spastic?

• yea
    • nae

There's nothing special about that.

If a post is helled, anyone who has good reasons can respectfully petition its rescue, and a spermod or admin can revive it if they see fit.

schwerpunk said:

Sorry to butt in, but I had never heard of Aspergers until a few years ago, but now that I've gone back to college it seems like every tenth person I meet admits to having it. Usually really nice people, too.

Kind of surprising. People dont really admit to it here, due to the discrimination I mentioned. I cant even get employment anywhere due to it :/

We tend to focus intensively on specific things, so if you find out what that thing is, you can have the most indepth discussions ever. Naturally, mine is gaming.

I'm bipolar. It's also an employment-prevention condition, but also one I can't get any kind of sickness benefit for since by my own admission I'm fit to work half the time.

That other half though, it's hell.

I suffer from multiple things: bipolar/ADHD, manic depression, body dysmorphic disorder, and I'm a trap. The first three and last two go hand-in-hand. It's hell. I don't wish it on anyone.

Norco, ambien, drinking, drugs, and all that shit I shouldn't really be doing helps, though.

With everything I have I would never even consider drinking and taking drugs, I do not desire to add any more problems than I already have.

Avoozl said:

With everything I have I would never even consider drinking and taking drugs, I do not desire to add any more problems than I already have.

That's smart. I succumbed to it because I got too depressed, and Aderall decreased the endorphin my brain is supposed to make. But I don't do hard drugs, mostly just prescription shit.

It's sad, though. I remember when I would naturally get happy.

Chu said:

That's smart. I succumbed to it because I got too depressed, and Aderall decreased the endorphin my brain is supposed to make. But I don't do hard drugs, mostly just prescription shit.

Be careful with that - there are a different set of risks associated with "hard drugs", simply because - as a consumer - one can rarely be sure of what they actually contain, or of the conditions in which they were manufactured. These concerns don't generally arise for prescription drugs, but these can still wrack your mind/body just a competently as anything that you can buy on the street. Indeed, adderall is an amphetamine, which would put it in the "hard drugs" category - in the same chemical family as speed and meth - were it not for the fact that it's legal.

I wonder how much of the general malaise that's cropped up in this thread could be reduced through simple measures like improving diet and nutritional intake, and cutting down on things like booze and caffeine. Speaking for myself, my mood is highly sensitive to these things - two coffees leaves me feeling very down, while a decent dose of vitamin C gives me a real boost. So I eat well, take a few supplements, and avoid things which I know affect me negatively, and the upshot is that I'm generally pretty cheerful.

durian said:

I wonder how much of the general malaise that's cropped up in this thread could be reduced through simple measures like improving diet and nutritional intake, and cutting down on things like booze and caffeine.

I think it's definitely worth trying to eat better and make sure to get some exercise, and I know it's helped me out of mild depressive slumps in the past. But there's a time for doing that and a time for getting professional help, and I think the trick is knowing what the right balance is.

Eating healthy and exercising keeps me happy (read: not depressed), but it doesn't help my GAD one bit. I still get debilitating anxiety attacks that keep me from doing anything.

Positive lifestyle changes will surely make a difference, that being said I think that with most clinical conditions there is a bigger more serious cause (or causes) that simply cannot be lifestyled away. It can be anything from genetic makeup to what your mom ate or smoked while she was carrying you in the womb to how you were treated as a child or what you ate (or did not eat) as a child.

Sometimes life simply sucks and you get the short straw. The challenge is to learn how to deal with it. From my point of view, being able to chat here on Doomworld and play one of the most awesome games ever made, at least that's something right? And if you have a computer and stuff usually you should be able to afford some medical care at least (even though I think that's a basic human right that should be free, like drinking water).

Tell that to someone who gets lost in sahara.
Also even medical help cost something... pills cost money.. training for doctors cost money, but I agree that states' money should rather go into medicine and education than on wars and to pockets of people who steal them from state with tricks and frauds.

I don't think I'm mentally ill, but sometimes I can fly off the handle. I think its more of a result of my environment and the people in it. (based on an article from a thread I posted a few months ago, people from the north east tend to be unhinged and neurotic.)

I cut back to only 2-3 cups of coffee a day. Also, I've been channeling aggravation and stress through keeping fit. Moreover, perhaps the meticulous WAD making hobby, has kept me occupied and sane as well.

darknation said:

one of the most useful things i learned in high school was 'shyness is a form of vanity'. Once i understood that (and that it works both ways) then i finally got my shit together and adopted the proper attitude towards life. People are festering dungheaps of bullshit and insecurity, no exceptions. Especially that orange bitch in the hundred dollar blouse. You can use this knowledge to ingrate yourself with the in-crowd or serve them with great justice, dependant on today's Rage and Rape forecast.

Sociopathic? Maybe. Fun? Absolutely.

So today this girl I have already courted (and failed) a while back started a conversation with me on FB (for some reason). Because of all the cues I've been getting (or think I do), I decided to ask her out again.

She said no but after all the depression I've been through because of my first-ever rejection a few years back, I've been forced to teach myself not to care and defend myself from useless emotions.

Surprisingly, I didn't make a big deal out of it in my head and just told her "ok, no hard feelings :)" and when she said we could go with other people I said that I was not interested. I've been enough in the friendzone for a lifetime...well that's some progress at least.

Why do people just not ask something like "I would like to have sex with you, Do you want to participate?" or "I would like to know you better, come with me"

Is it even possible to be attracted to other human being for any other reason than sexual? is it possible to love someone's personality?

And yes I got aspergers syndrome and I have problems when dealing with people.

Now I need to pack my things and travel into South Africa, NSA is after me.... joking :p

Sokoro said:

Why do people just not ask something like "I would like to have sex with you, Do you want to participate?" or "I would like to know you better, come with me"

Social convention and sexual filtering mechanisms to weed out the creeps, jerks, etc. since women are mostly physically weaker than men, so they need to be sure that they're safe. Also, there are lots of non-verbal cues that can tell a woman that you're a cool guy. Confidence, making her laugh, honesty, etc. If on the other hand you attempt to circumvent these conventions it may make you look like you have a reason to dodge the screening process (i.e. you may be a creep or jerk or whatever).

Sokoro said:

Is it even possible to be attracted to other human being for any other reason than sexual? is it possible to love someone's personality?

I think it's possible. I've had crushes on girls where I actually thought it would actually violate this perfect image I have of her if I would have sex with her (mind you, it's been some time ago). Older people who have been together for decades may love each other for reasons that are not purely sexual, same goes for people who for some reason can't have sex or whatever. It might sound clichéd, but it really is possible to be attracted to someone's personality and even fall in love with it.

Sokoro said:

Now I need to pack my things and travel into South Africa, NSA is after me.... joking :p

I'm from SA, you should be all right here. :) (just don't go out at night alone)

[QUOTE]Sokoro said:

Depends on where you are coming from socially,
its not hard to find people like that at all.
Doesnt have to be a dirty/bad thing...

DooM_RO said:

So today this girl I have already courted (and failed) a while back started a conversation with me on FB (for some reason). Because of all the cues I've been getting (or think I do), I decided to ask her out again.

She said no but after all the depression I've been through because of my first-ever rejection a few years back, I've been forced to teach myself not to care and defend myself from useless emotions.

Surprisingly, I didn't make a big deal out of it in my head and just told her "ok, no hard feelings :)" and when she said we could go with other people I said that I was not interested. I've been enough in the friendzone for a lifetime...well that's some progress at least.

Maybe she just wants to have a fling, with no strings attached. Or maybe she wants a test drive, before she commits to a relationship.

Was this thread made so people can have ammunition in case you really wanna smack down on someone on a really personal level?

darknation said:

Hahaha, you would. I bet this list is more extensive and has existed since Doomworld's inception (or at least for as long as you have been involved)

I have not been classified with any disorders. My mother once threatened to get me tested for ADD, and at 11 I was none the wiser to what that was or how it could affect me. Lo and behold I did fine by school and made it into college a full-fledged adult. Now I am struggling to finish the collegiate road by the year, but tapered off initially due to disinterest.

I have no other legitimate explanation. Even when I get my degree I will be the same menace. Judge as you will.

First: Asperger's Syndrome back in 7th grade.
second: Depression
3rd: Oppositional Defiance Disorder... ODD. Makes me a legit odd person ¬.¬;

Chu said:

I suffer from multiple things: bipolar/ADHD, manic depression, body dysmorphic disorder, and I'm a trap.

Do you also have a light voice? Or is it rough?

darknation said:

That's why I don't talk much about myself on the Internet, too many stalkers. Not saying that I'm paranoid or anything like that, but I'm going to keep an eye on that list.

As for myself I thought it was really funny. Most of us here don't post under our real names and a mental illness should anyway not be stigmatised the way it is since it's just another medical condition really. I certainly don't keep my epilepsy a secret and I'm sure a lot of people with their problems don't either. Of course it can be an issue with a potential employer but in that case you should ideally just have a doctor's declaration stating how your condition affects your productivity and how it can be managed. Ideally. But I can understand that in some cases, a potential employer and even friends and family may discriminate unfairly if they were to become aware of your condition.

GreyGhost said:

That's why I don't talk much about myself on the Internet, too many stalkers. Not saying that I'm paranoid or anything like that, but I'm going to keep an eye on that list.

Well, age-related dementia might change your mind.

Literally.

Most everyone I know in real life, at some point, says something along the lines of "Ed, you're really crazy. I'm serious." but I'm sure I'm harmless, otherwise they wouldn't tell me that. I've been living in an existential free-fall for about 5 years now. I live in an existence of nearly constant, nagging, nihilistic discriminations and deductions. I can't enjoy anything for what it is, because I know it isn't anything, or, I can enjoy anything for what it is, because it's everything. Really depends on the minute, my opinions are always changing. I don't think I really have any, wouldn't bother me if I didn't. Sometimes, the nihilism wins, and I have months on end where I fall into a horrific depression, drop whatever I'm doing, and mentally hibernate.

I can't subscribe to the idea of broad distinctions and subsequent sub-classifications of something as arbitrary as human thought patterns. I feel it gives license for the sufferer to adopt to a collective victim complex and using that as a starting point in most of their concerns. It's also a 'handle' for everyone else on your mental state based solely on the brain's bio-mechanical operation without much regard to life experience; "Oh, he's a 'x' so that's why he does that". That kind of narrow sub-classification is a bit like the horoscope where you begin to connect the dots to the adopted identification.

I do believe in caustic, unhealthy thought patterns that are a brain malfunction or a disease, but it's really interesting how mental disorders are so quickly adopted as an identity or a defining element of the self.