Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Evolution

ZDaemon Thursday Night Survival #128 - Khorus' Speedy Shit - Revisited

A fast and furious Cacoward-winning megawad made in a very short time frame of 26 days; quality remains high and fun is guaranteed unless you're just dead inside. Difficulty will increase as the session progresses.

• Skill: Ultra Violence
  • IWAD: doom2 or freedoom
  • PWADs: kssht, sprfix13, tnsskins1a
  • Maps: map01-map32
  • Lives: 1
  • Euro session: 19:00 GMT @ [L@P] - Germany, Europe
  • US session: 19:00 EST @ DUI - New Jersey, USA
  • Date: 23th January 2014
  • More Details...
For other ZDaemon events and news, visit ZDaemon.org

If there's something I don't like about this (and other) mapsets, is that many have walk-once (W1) events that raise impassable obstacles and other such traps to lock an area out, force a "caged" fight or prevent backtracking.

These don't work so well in multiplayer, and more than one map ended up stuck/unwinnable because one player died in a zone which also contained the unlock switch for such an obstacle, or it isolates the main group of the players from the most daring ones, again leading to potentially unwinnable situations. Other times players get their view blocked by a wall of HOM sealing an area off, which is only removed by pure chance or because a player blocked it with his body. Sometimes you might be able to rocketjump above such an obstacle, but this isn't really how it should work.

Map authors should really playtest more thorougly for such traps, or at least provide a coop/multiplayer "bypass".

I agree 100%. Unfortunately many mappers are totally separated from the multiplayer scene and simply don't think about this.

The good news is that at least in TNS you don't need to worry about these things. :) We have some very cool libraries with scripts that allow us to solve such problems on the go. We can create emergency teleports, move sectors, spawn keys and much more. As long as at least one of the admins is online, the players won't get stuck.

Read the textfile before accusing me of not testing etc, plx. This wad was not designed for co-op, but it's really awesome to see people have given it the attention it has received despite that.

I hope people have a good time and, in hindsight, I wish I had spent a day or two tweaking things for co-op after finishing all of the maps.

Sign in to follow this