Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mrthejoshmon

Is there any Quake or Half Life editors (Other than Hammer) for Windows XP?

I have been trying to make custom maps for both Quake and Half Life...

After attempting the new "Jackhammer" editor for Quake and Half Life, I was left in a state of both lag and dismay when the thing absolutely annihilated itself multiple times...

Same with Hammer for Half Life...

I was then stuck in a situation, I could:

A: Get a better piece of hardware (You know because we are all made of money)

B: Attempt to make do with something I can't even use (Quite literally, with the Jackhammer editor it just shows me a blank void where the 3D view and map grids should be and Hammer just bombs out on me)

and C: Find a different editor that I can actually use on this piece of shit that I own.

So here is my question, is there any Quake editors that don't require a lot of processing power and can run on XP and is there any (preferably non-steam) Half Life 1 editors I can use that also don't require anything better than an toaster and run on Windows XP?

Radiant (GTK or any other variants.)

Hammer (3.4, an old non-Steam version. Even Valve's official wiki recommends using this for GoldSrc.)

Trenchbroom

I recommend Radiant, personally. Most of my experience is with Hammer (from back when it was still Worldcraft - Hammer seems a lot less stable than I remember WC being), though. Not sure about running them on a toaster nowadays, but the PC I ran WC on originally would definitely qualify as one.

Olde school Valve Hammer, non-Steam version, is my preferred, but--

Bucket said:

QuArK. It's been around forever and supports dozens of games.

That's the one I was going to recommend if not interested in Hammer, though I have very little experience with it.

Trenchbroom looks pretty awesome for Quake editing, for sure.

Screw hammer, find Worldcraft 2.0. That thing was rock solid, would run on the proverbial toaster and pretty easy to learn.