Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alex_Wolfenstein97

A Few Questions About Risen3D

Hey DOOMers I'm new around the DOOM Community , i started playing DOOM a few years ago and lately i've been using Risen3D i love it's features and for me it's an all around awesome source port

Any way ... enough of myself ... time for a few questions

1.) If any of you have been using Risen3D in the past you might of noticed that Ransu's Remastered DOOM Music Pack was just recently updated into an anniversary collection ... the thing is that ... as some of you might know the anniversary version (v5.0) focuses on more of a basic remake of the originals ... previously i was using v4.5 witch had some nice special effects and it had this kind of techno / futuristic sound to it and i liked that ... i've also seen a Let's Play on youtube from 2011 and in those videos the soundtracks were even better then the v4.5 that i was using a few months ago

If any of you guys have the 2011 version or any previous version of Ransu's Music packs for Risen3D (for ULTIMATE DOOM / DOOM II / PLUTONIA) can you please give me a link to it or something like that ? it would be greatly appreciated

2.) Is there Really absolutely no freaking way in hell to get some sort of multiplayer going on Risen3D ?

3.) (this is a series of questions ... and i may look like an idiot ... but i've never done this before so ... please try to be nice :D)
3.A.) Where can i get Demos from ... you know , speedruns and all of that ?
3.B.) Where do i have to put the Downloaded Demos so that they can work on Risen3D ?
3.C.) How can i play a demo using Risen3D ?
3.D.) How can i record a demo using Risen3D ?

That's pretty much it ... any replies are highly appreciated and i'm looking forward to making some new DOOM friends around here See ya :D

And finally , please excuse any spelling mistakes as english is not my main language and i'm still learning it ... (i'm actually Romanian) anyway thanks in advance for any replies see you guys later xD

Alex_Wolfenstein97 said:

SourcePort

Please don't use camel case for normal words. Source port.

Alex_Wolfenstein97 said:

1.) If any of you have been using Risen3D in the past you might of noticed that Ransu's Remastered DOOM Music Pack was just recently updated into an anniversary collection ... the thing is that ... as some of you might know the anniversary version (v5.0) focuses on more of a basic remake of the originals ... previously i was using v4.5 witch had some nice special effects and it had this kind of techno / futuristic sound to it and i liked that ... i've also seen a Let's Play on youtube from 2011 and in those videos the soundtracks wore even better then the v4.5 that i was using a few months ago

Isn't it that? Didn't find UDMUS2012.wad anywhere, though.

Alex_Wolfenstein97 said:

3.) (this is a series of questions ... and i may look like an idiot ... but i've never done this so ... please try to be nice :D)
3.A.) Where can i get Demos from ... you know , speedruns and all of that ?
3.B.) Where do i have to put the Downloaded Demos so that they can work on Risen3D ?
3.C.) How can i play a demo ?
3.D.) How can i record a demo ?

I don't think Risen3D can play back most of the demos out there. Demos are extremely fickle and fragile, prone to desync at the slightest and most inconsequential-looking change, so maintaining demo compatibility is an enormous burden for port developers. Since most demos are recorded in vanilla Doom 2 1.9 or Boom 2.02 format, the engine you want to play them back is PrBoom+. (Or rather, GLBoom+.)

Alex_Wolfenstein97 said:

If any of you guys have the 2011 version or any previous version of Ransu's Music packs for Risen3D (for ULTIMATE DOOM / DOOM II / PLUTONIA) can you please give me a link to it or something like that ? it would be greatly appreciated

I have the 2010 version for Ultimate Doom and can send a link if you're interested.

GreyGhost said:

I have the 2010 version for Ultimate Doom and can send a link if you're interested.

yes can you please send a link to it ? please ? Thanks ! it would of been nice if we still had the option to get the old one.
anyway ... Thanks to Gez i've already got the one for DOOM II so if you have the WAD file or the installer just post a link to it here / PM me a link ... thanks again ...

Gez said:

Isn't it that? Didn't find UDMUS2012.wad anywhere, though.

well yaeah it's the older version for DOOM II but it's a WAD file and as far as i know risen3D only works with playlists generated by the installer of the music pack so i need the .EXE that installs the soundtracks in the proper folders and makes the proper playlist and what not ... so thanks but i don't think i can use it with Risen3D Unless i can somehow extract the music files from the wad and then go from there ... but i have no idea of how to do that so ... also it's better to have a playlist cause sometimes when playing PWADS / MEGAWADS wad music files don't always work ... however if you can take the files out of the wad and upload them somewhere it would be nice , or maybe you can find the .EXE file , who knows ... oh ... someone should talk with the Risen3D Team and should tell them to keep there older packages ... speaking of that the contact page on the Risen3D site is broken ... thanks anyway :D

Alex_Wolfenstein97 said:

so thanks but i don't think i can use it with Risen3D Unless i can somehow extract the music files from the wad and then go from there ...

Use SLADE 3 for that.

Gez said:

Use SLADE 3 for that.

Thanks ... It turns out that if you put all the files in Risen3D\OggVorbis\Ransu a playlist is auto generated ... cool i diden't even knew that ... thanks Bro , now i need the one for Ultimate DOOM and i'm all set when it comes to music packs ... thanks again :D

Alex_Wolfenstein97 said:

3.C.) How can i play a demo using Risen3D ?
3.D.) How can i record a demo using Risen3D ?

Risen3D was based off Doomsday and hence inherited it's demo recording features of the time. I'm going to assume Risen3D hasn't changed things too much since then and detail Doomsday's demo recording features of around that time.

Doomsday's demo recording is done via typing the following cvars in the in game console: 'recorddemo', 'stopdemo', 'playdemo'.

I think the names speak for themselves. One can bind key's to these cvars, to avoid having to open the console each time: 'bind X recorddemo XXXX';

Doomsday was the first and, as far as I am aware, aside from Risen3D by virtue of being based off a now ancient version of Doomsday, the only Doom port to allow one to record and play back demos in game. Vanilla Doom, PRBoom, ZDoom etc only allow one to record and playback demos via the commandline.

Gez is right that most (well, all, really) demos are recorded using Vanilla Doom or PRBoom though. Doomsday and Risen3D can't play these back or record demos that are compatible with those ports.

In the past, there was a certain 'phobia' about OpenGL in the Doom community (as shown by the number of OpenGL ports around these days, that 'phobia' basically no longer exists) and hence Doomsday's demo recording features didn't get used.

Of course, one might note that I said 'was'. In the Doomsday 1.9.x series, demo recording functionality was disabled after being broken during the rewrite. The rewrite hasn't yet progressed enough to restore the feature.

Vermil said:

Risen3D was based off Doomsday and hence inherited it's demo recording features of the time. I'm going to assume Risen3D hasn't changed things too much since then and detail Doomsday's demo recording features of around that time.

Doomsday's demo recording is done via the in game console:

'recorddemo'
'stopdemo'
'playdemo'

I think the names speak for themselves. One can bind key's to these cvars, to avoid having to open the console each time: 'bind X recorddemo XXXX';

Doomsday was the first and, as far as I am aware, aside from Risen3D by virtue of being based off a version of Doomsday, the only Doom port to allow one to record and play back demos in game. Vanilla Doom, PRBoom, ZDoom etc only allow one to record and playback demos via the commandline.

Gez is right that most (well, all, really) demos are recorded using Vanilla Doom or PRBoom though. Doomsday and Risen3D can't play these back or record demos that are compatible with those ports.

In the past, there was a certain 'phobia' about OpenGL in the Doom community (as shown by the number of OpenGL ports around these days, that 'phobia' basicallyy no longer exists) and hence the ports demo recording features didn't get used; if they had, I wonder if Skyjake might have done more with it.

Of course, one might note that I said 'was'. In the Doomsday 1.9.x series, demo recording functionality was disabled after being broken during the rewrite. The rewrite hasn't yet progressed enough to restore the feature.

hm ... i see ... i thought you can do this on any source port but ... well maybe i'll grab a copy of glboom+ one day ... anyway what about multiplayer on Risen3D is there really no way of going about it ? ... i mean ... doomsday has that so ... the only reason i'm using R3D instead of Doomsday is because the model packs look better on Risen3D and for some strange reason doomsday never gos above 50 fps but R3D plays at a smooth 200 fps and doomsday lags on me when ever a part of a map loads while Risen3D it's ultra smooth with no lag at all ...

Doomsday is pushing more visual effects than Risen3D. Doomsday also has Vsync on by default I believe, which can be disabled in the video menu of the taskbar (Vsync prevents the fps from going above your monitors refresh rate (typically 50-70)).

Risen3D removed multiplayer, when it forked from Doomsday.

Risen3D's model stuff is 99.9% the same as Doomsday. Basically all that stops the Risen3D models packs from working in Doomsday is that the two ports have slightly different folder structures, which is easily dealt with.