Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

calling all artists, advice on college art course

I have an interview for a college-level visual arts course tomorrow. I applied last year and was turned back (on appeal the main two reasons were that starting late could exacerbate my supposed ass-burgers and there would be a higher chance of failing due to missing out on "group bonding" - took someone with me that reckoned they just basically "didn't want" me in the course). It was suggested that I build on my portfolio and that my photography is my strongest work. So I give you: http://imgur.com/a/hlQHv

And the course info: https://cis.tastafe.tas.edu.au/Course.aspx?ItmId=3583

really can't tell from the sample you have provided; a portfolio that consists entirely of photographs makes you look a little like a one-trick pony.

I have done a similar course though so I can tell you what to expect. You will probably need to be competent at life-drawing; sketches of the human body are, at least in the uk, used as a litmus test to make sure that you're on top of things composition-wise. Expect a lot of arty-farty useless bollocks on top of that, applying paint in retarded ways using sponges and other textured crap. Proficiency with Macintosh computers is also something you'd want to have a solid footing with. Adobe products, photoshop and illustrator.

Be warned; photography might involve darkroom work. Do not assume that everything will be digital.

Keep the fuck away from the pub. Do not miss classes because catching up is a shit. Do not spend the entire semester on one project and fail the class because you haven't done the other three.

Keep the fuck away from the fat psychotic bitch from the special school with the big tits who always sits at the back of the class room. That way madness and menstrual fluid lies.

darknation said:

really can't tell from the sample you have provided; a portfolio that consists entirely of photographs makes you look a little like a one-trick pony.

I have done a similar course though so I can tell you what to expect. You will probably need to be competent at life-drawing; sketches of the human body are, at least in the uk, used as a litmus test to make sure that you're on top of things composition-wise. Expect a lot of arty-farty useless bollocks on top of that, applying paint in retarded ways using sponges and other textured crap. Proficiency with Macintosh computers is also something you'd want to have a solid footing with. Adobe products, photoshop and illustrator.

Be warned; photography might involve darkroom work. Do not assume that everything will be digital.

Keep the fuck away from the pub. Do not miss classes because catching up is a shit. Do not spend the entire semester on one project and fail the class because you haven't done the other three.

Keep the fuck away from the fat psychotic bitch from the special school with the big tits who always sits at the back of the class room. That way madness and menstrual fluid lies.

There's also this, which I wouldn't have an issue getting into, but there isn't as much emphasis on working as a group. http://courses.utas.edu.au/portal/page/portal/COURSE_UNIT/UTAS_UNIT_DETAIL?P_UNIT_CODE=FSH101&P_YEAR=2014&P_CONTEXT=NEW

honestly, if you are going to waste your time on an art degree then you'd be as well thinking big. No one is impressed with an NVQ visual arts, but they'll be even less impressed with a part-time photography NC.

If you are in this for improving future job prospects, then I'd recommend hairdressing instead. Motherfuckers always needs good hairdressers.

darknation said:

If you are in this for improving future job prospects, then I'd recommend hairdressing instead. Motherfuckers always needs good hairdressers.

What do you think about me taking a course titled "Gender, Culture & Identity" at uni last year? My grades were in the top 30% of the class.

Somehow got into this arts course by making up crap off the top of my head about what statement I was trying to make in each photo. They must have liked it if there were 300 applicants and only 60 places.

invictius said:

What do you think about me taking a course titled "Gender, Culture & Identity" at uni last year? My grades were in the top 30% of the class.

Personally, I wouldn't even bother asking this question, and that's coming from a gender studies/philosophy major; and that gender studies course you did sure as hell ain't helping your job opportunity... or at least in comparison to job-orientated courses. :P

What darknation has said, apart from his tongue-in-cheek comments heh, is useful to keep in mind. My dad is a professional artist (google Kasey Sealy if you're curious) and I can guarantee that you need sound foundations in compositions (or ideas of compositions), and life-drawing is definitely a good way of learning that. This is useful stuff even if you're already studying an art course and will help sharpen your perception of beauty/art. I see a lot of crap artwork - including even abstract, a way of justifying crappy composition skills as 'art' - particularly because the composition and subject framing/choice just blows or they attempt to appeal to people's lack of art knowledge via bright and shiny colours- basically all shine and no form.

Somehow got into this arts course by making up crap off the top of my head about what statement I was trying to make in each photo. They must have liked it if there were 300 applicants and only 60 places.

So you got into the course you initially applied for? Grats mate. :-)

invictius said:

Now you can bitch about the patriarchy on tumblr with an air of confidence.

Enroll for Cracked writer today!