Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scifista42

Switcheroom 2 - Alpha 2

C30N9 said:

"Can I transform MAP11 layout into the MAP29 slot?"

This means that MAP11 layout will be on MAP29 slot with MAP29 theme. Right?

Pardon me for confusion.

I believe that is correct.

My intent was to have mapslot 11, have a map with map11 elements, difficulty et cetera, but the map layout will be based on map29, but will thematically resemble map11.

I THINK the OP reflects that correctly. And you should be doing the opposite. (map11 layout thematically playing like map29) Oh gosh this got awfully confusing awfully quick.

On that note, the map will be titled "Circle's End"

Hurricyclone said:

Can I claim another mapslot?

If so, then MAP08 with MAP16's layout.

Name: Power Circle

Why would you claim another mapslot if you haven't even finished your first one? Are giving up your previous claim to try this instead?

Hurricyclone said:

Can I claim another mapslot?

If so, then MAP08 with MAP16's layout.

Name: Power Circle

Hmm. I didn't expect anyone would actually demand such a thing. But I can imagine the situation that you got a really good idea for a map, and want to implement it before someone else claims the slot and ruins your immediate thought. I personally also had (and have) visions of various Switche-ideas for multiple various slots. Though to claim them simultaneously, I just wouldn't dare.

Your request is granted, Hurricyclone. Wish you good luck to make the result worth it.

All eyes now turn to Hurricyclone, hehe. I hope you're mapping faster/better than I am. So far, I haven't had the time to really dig into my map (24-14). I've got one stillborn attempt in my recycling bin, and another file that's just a bunch of connected boxes.

Right now, I'm wondering if I can justify turning the waterways of MAP14 into nukageways, like the majority of the floor in MAP24. I might even make the former waterways really deep, also like the nukage floors in MAP24.

I wonder would that be straying too far from the 'layout' of the original MAP14?

schwerpunk said:

Right now, I'm wondering if I can justify turning the waterways of MAP14 into nukageways, like the majority of the floor in MAP24. I might even make the former waterways really deep, also like the nukage floors in MAP24.

I wonder would that be straying too far from the 'layout' of the original MAP14?

Not at all, it's OK. Just make sure your map resembles Hell, ideally pure Hell instead of some pseudocity which the original MAP24 is.

Guys please don't place too much emphasis on me. I only wanted to have another mapslot, that's all. ANd for the record, that's the last one I'll take, so of course others should have some. I've already started on one map and still have fresh ideas for both choices I had.

The previous Switcheroom had multiple maps by the same author anyways.

@Huricyclone: sorry, mate. Didn't mean to put you on the spot. Just jokes.

scifista42 said:

Not at all, it's OK. Just make sure your map resembles Hell, ideally pure Hell instead of some pseudocity which the original MAP24 is.

Can do. Thanks for pointing this out. Gonna do a couple more playthroughs of 24 for texture-pairing references. Gonna keep an eye open for texture combinations that could be Hell'd up a but, while keeping the same feel.

Fun challenge.

May I take a stab at the layout of map08 (Tricks n Traps) with the theme of map28 (Spirit World)?

Not sure on what the name would be. Spirit Traps?

Would also be funny to replace the baron/cyberdemon area with a mastermind and arachnotrons like in map28.

Spirit Traps doesn't sound bad, added.

Additional apology to Hurricyclone, I was overstating it maybe too excessively, sorry. Of course there's nothing wrong, I was just surprised.

Also note to Superluigieth1: Your claim on the previous page was not accepted, I'm repeating it just for the case you missed it, really just for you to know.

Is it correct if I claim for a MAP03-theme (target) version of MAP21 (layout)? Just askin'.

@joe-ilya: Yes, it's quite exactly what you're supposed to do, and well done! Please don't spoil it by adding too much detail, in this case I'd say simple is nicer. ;)

@Cell: It is correct. Does the "just askin'" mean you don't really claim the slot for yourself? I put you on the list for now just in case, speak up if I misunderstood you.

MAP03's layout probably lends itself to a MAP30 slot/theme. Relatively small with a large finale room at the end where one could picture an IOS fight. The BK area could be more about obtaining the required weapons (little to no resistance) and or unlocking the final room.

I could have the blinkers on, but I agree with the comments aboave that given the simplicity of MAP30's layout, it should most likely become MAP07.

The above are just comments, not claiming slots ;)

scifista42 said:

@Cell:Does the "just askin'" mean you don't really claim the slot for yourself?

Actually it does, but I was a bit uncertain whether that is possible.

Could I do MAP18 (The Courtyard) in hell style for MAP30 (Icon of Sin)?

I have an idea for this.

@Cell: You again answered unclearly.

@Jayextee: OK, added.

@joe-ilya: Great you're already done, added the link to the OP. I played your map and think it's well suitable for a secret slot. Let me just point out a couple minor problems. The bars textures have a opaque wolfenstein wall from its back side, which I totally see as a bug. You can get attacked by arachnotrons without seeing them. And another thing I'd imagine differently are the side rooms themselves. Well OK, the Keens need a place somewhere, so it's acceptable. But I don't see the point of the one south-western room with a teleporter pad. I recommend you getting rid of that room completely, and just set the 666 action to the Cyberdemons middle door itself. Last minor thing, the lava exit seems submerged into the ground without any border texture, it doesn't look right to me. Other than that, I liked the map and see it very well useable as is. Good job, joe-ilya.

scifista42 said:

@joe-ilya: Great you're already done, added the link to the OP. I played your map and think it's well suitable for a secret slot. Let me just point out a couple minor problems. The bars textures have a opaque wolfenstein wall from its back side, which I totally see as a bug. You can get attacked by arachnotrons without seeing them. And another thing I'd imagine differently are the side rooms themselves. Well OK, the Keens need a place somewhere, so it's acceptable. But I don't see the point of the one south-western room with a teleporter pad. I recommend you getting rid of that room completely, and just set the 666 action to the Cyberdemons middle door itself. Last minor thing, the lava exit seems submerged into the ground without any border texture, it doesn't look right to me. Other than that, I liked the map and see it very well useable as is. Good job, joe-ilya.

Fixed all that and the passages are shorter now, so you won't camp easily.

Here's the latest fix:
https://www.mediafire.com/?32e2xetmri3bnte

Thanks for the quick fix, I am satisfied with the changes. Now the map seems alright to me. Even with the sky above the cyberdemon being a little out of place. I find this surreal effect interesting, IWAD-like (and joe-ilya-like in a good way), and acceptable.

Now I should make some progress with my map too to not stay behindhand! Applies for the rest of you as well. :)

Well I might as well show some progress with Abandoned Market. I really want that fountain to look good but Doom 2 lacks a waterfall. Also I'll fix the walls and sky when I get to it, but right now here's the general four-way intersection layout done city-style.

MAP29's name shall be "'O' of Life". Pretty much a rushed up name. In fact, I can't think of a vivid name other than "Circle's End", which is already taken.

Also I have a question. Is it okay to play with the original layout a little? My point here is removing the freedom of moving around the circle in MAP11 since MAP29 is more like a linear map, and also this helps me maintain the atmosphere of MAP29 (teleporting instead of using keys). This doesn't mean there won't be a circle indeed.

C30N9 said:

MAP29's name shall be "'O' of Life". Pretty much a rushed up name. In fact, I can't think of a vivid name other than "Circle's End", which is already taken.

That is kind of why I jumped on the name so quick.

@C30N9: What you described sounds OK, as well as the name. :)

I realized that we have quite a surplus of Circles in map names. And your map in particular is the only one for which Circle is appropriate, too. If one had to be changed eventually, then either TheMionicDonut's or Hurricyclone's.

Hey there. Could I get in on this? I'd like to do Map 06's layout in Map 21's slot. For right now, I'll tentatively name the map Crushed Dreams.

I was thinking about the name "The pit condo" for my map, unless it sounds too stupid (English is not my native language, so I couldn't tell).

I had no idea why I named that map Power Circle. Probably because I played X: Beyond The Frontier and that's the name of a sector in that game.

How about...Sector Zeta?