Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Unregistered account

GBA Doom

Guest Unregistered account

So, I played a lot of GBA Doom a few years ago and I have to say it has a different feel. Obviously the different levels (E3M1 was the only one I saw outside the internet, where I saw the boss levels) are there but I'm also talking about the music - Donna To The Rescue in my opinion fits the hell theme better than its original PC counterpart with the weirder notes and GBA E2M1 was the first version of E2M1 I ever saw and the music really fits the episode name, The Shores of Hell.

What GBA music conversions do you think sound better than the PC versions?

The healer stalks
Running from Evil
Sandys city
Waiting for Romero to play
Intermission song
Text song
Doom
Message for the archvile
Dave Tailor blues

You should move this to the 'Doom General' forum instead.

Yeah I just turned music off in these ports. And GBA Doom's music order is stupid, someone just goofed and bumped all of the PC tracks up one map. Quality work.

Technician said:

None. The GBA sound hardware is complete shit.

Not always~ It's not the hardware that matter's it's how the music is composed for the hardware that matters..

But the GBA versions of the Doom music...Well...
It's different that's for sure~

Doom II's though has some nice sounding stuff- if you excuse the lower bitrate samples there is some nice stuff going on~

Gba's doom tunes are alright albeit misplaced in order, atleast it's better than the fart music in 32x.

I really like the instrument choice in "in the dark", not better but a nice alternative to the original

The first version of the original Doom and Doom 2 I ever played were the GBA ones however only via emulator. :P But the first ever Doom I ever played was Doom 64.

Dragonsbrethren said:

Oh no, green blood! It had nothing to do with Nintendo and everything with shooting for a T rating.

I don't think it had "nothing" to do with Nintendo. I think they did their darnedest to discourage development of M rated games for GBA because they wanted to focus on marketing it like a toy. See every game magazine ad printed during that time for reference, showing some ~10 year old kid with one.

According to ESRB only nine games in the entire GBA library were rated M.

Seeing people play mortal kombat on the gba when it first came out gave me a boner

i haven't played much of GBA Doom or 2, even though i do own the second game on GBA (which seems to be a bootleg copy with a busted save battery...).

i will say something, however, from the amount of what i played of the first GBA Doom. what the hell happened to the time signatures of those songs? seriously. O_o

Doom 2's soundtrack seems to be more "accurate" in that regard, although different sounding due to the samples and the low quality of the sound hardware. Fuzzball's example sounds pretty cool.

personally i don't mind the sound quality and most games developed on GBA seems to have mostly good-sounding music on them. often it's the ports that suffers from this (i'm looking at you, Mother 2!), but GBA Doom did an okay job with it all things considered.

I liked GBA Doom 1 a lot. It was the first portable Doom that I played. It was pretty difficult because of no mouse, and some monsters -- particularly the Cacodemon -- seemed to be faster as well. The desaturated colours and green blood gave the game a raw feel. And I really liked the E3M1 replacement, tougher than the PC E3M1.

Yeah I like the GBA Doom games, especially Doom II. The music in the first game isn't bad; it's quite tolerable and sometimes catchy.

Quasar said:

I don't think it had "nothing" to do with Nintendo. I think they did their darnedest to discourage development of M rated games for GBA because they wanted to focus on marketing it like a toy. See every game magazine ad printed during that time for reference, showing some ~10 year old kid with one.

According to ESRB only nine games in the entire GBA library were rated M.

Well I dont know why Nintendo did not censor Wolfenstein on the GBA like they did with SNES version

I always liked the GBA version of MAP10. It somehow sounds more grinding and eerie than the original, almost like low-fi guitar at parts. It's especially interesting to me because I've listened to pretty much all the GBA tracks and that's the only one I consider an improvement. The rest are pretty meh.