Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kaiser

Doom64 EX 2.4 Released

A new update is out for Doom64 EX which addresses a handful of issues as well as making several improvements as well. Both Windows and MacOS versions can be downloaded here. Some of the major improvements included are:

• Demo Support
  • Bind-able Xbox 360 buttons
  • 1440 × 900 resolution support
  • Improvements to editing tools
Be sure to check out the main website for upcoming news and announcements.

Linux version can be built easily, to do this, perform the following:
1) Install SDL, SDL_net, fluidsynth, libpng, cmake, and git. Make sure you install the development versions of the first 4 libraries mentioned and build-essential if you are on Debian or Ubuntu.
2) Open up a terminal, go to a directory that you want to contain both the wadgen and doom64ex source codes and get the source with the following commands:
git clone git://github.com/MP2E/kexplus.git
git clone git://github.com/MP2E/Wadgen.git
3) Change to both directories, one at a time and type "mkdir build; cd build; cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release ..; make"
4) Copy the Content in Wadgen, the wadgen executable and the doom64ex executable into the same folder. Use wadgen with ./wadgen ~/path/to/Doom64.n64(v64 or z64 work too).
5) Run Doom64EX

Let me know if you have any issues. x86, x86_64, and reportedly ARM all work.

Demo playback is still missing the HUD.

Demo recording gave warning/exited when trying to record a demo with a name that already exists. I'd like if it just overwrote it, or added a number into the new demo recording, or have automatic demo recording with generated names like demo0000, or mapXX_demo0000 up to 9999 or something like that.

Demo recording quits to the main menu after completing a level without displaying the intermission stats...

Jimi said:

Demo playback is still missing the HUD.

Demo recording gave warning/exited when trying to record a demo with a name that already exists. I'd like if it just overwrote it, or added a number into the new demo recording, or have automatic demo recording with generated names like demo0000, or mapXX_demo0000 up to 9999 or something like that.

Demo recording quits to the main menu after completing a level without displaying the intermission stats...

I'll see if I can fix that this weekend. I'll keep you posted on that.

Dragonsbrethren said:

Is it just me, or is it harder to shoot barrels than normal in this release? Seems like autoaim won't target them.

Known bug, go into the console and force p_autoaim to 1

I used to have a 1440 x 900 lcd but now I have a 1600 x 900 lcd, been a while since I last used Ex so I can't remember if it did support it, I'm just waiting for further releases before I start to play it again rather than try every release like I used to. :P

Avoozl said:

I used to have a 1440 x 900 lcd but now I have a 1600 x 900 lcd, been a while since I last used Ex so I can't remember if it did support it, I'm just waiting for further releases before I start to play it again rather than try every release like I used to. :P

1600 x 900 is supported

Nice to see another release out so congratulations on that.

Kaiser said:

• Demo Support
  • Improvements to editing tools

I have been looking forward to these two for some time now. I'll have a play around with the editing tools later as I want to get back to my map at some point.

yukib1t said:

I noticed that the engine works in 2048x1152 (my native res) if I hard set it in the config file, but it's not in the launcher.

I'll add that for menu support for version 2.5 (which will be released this weekend due to the numerous bugs in version 2.4)

Kaiser said:

I'll add that for menu support for version 2.5 (which will be released this weekend due to the numerous bugs in version 2.4)

Cool! I really like Doom64 EX. The original was one of my favorite games, so it's nice to play it again but with a mouse and keyboard.

I don't know if the skyhack worked this same way in the original, but here, it seems like PSX's behavior. Rather than showing the entire building behind it, it only shows the polygons that are visible outside of the skyhack area.

Even if this was the original behavior, could there perhaps be an option to have it all show through? Still, that could potentially bring about problems in areas with more traditional sky use than a deliberate skyhack.

http://i.imgur.com/kOjGF5V.png

Normal behavior. This can also be observed on the N64 version. The problem is how the clipper works. It's really difficult to work around this hack.

yukib1t said:

Cool! I really like Doom64 EX. The original was one of my favorite games, so it's nice to play it again but with a mouse and keyboard.

Okay, the next version (which I am about to release) will support these resolutions in-menu:

4:3

320x240
640x480
768x576
800x600
1024x768
1152x864
1280x960
1400x1050
1600x1200

16:9

854x480
1280x720
1366x768
1600x900
1920x1080
2048x1152
2560x1440
2880x1620
3840x2160

16:10

320x200
1280x800
1440x900
1680x1050
2560x1600

If anyone feels like I am missing any resolutions, please say so now. Thx

GreyGhost said:

1920x1200 - that's what I'm currently running.

Me too. Glad to see it's restored.

Has anyone tried out the editing tools, at all? I am a total ignoramus when it comes to Doom mapping but out of desperation for new D64 maps I tried making one ages ago. Needless to say, I didn't get anywhere! Do the new tools make it easier to map or are they 'just' more stable versions of the old stuff?

Average said:

Has anyone tried out the editing tools, at all? I am a total ignoramus when it comes to Doom mapping but out of desperation for new D64 maps I tried making one ages ago. Needless to say, I didn't get anywhere! Do the new tools make it easier to map or are they 'just' more stable versions of the old stuff?

I have only used D64 builder for my map, it works like DB2 although it has extra tools such as sector lighting (just an example). The only problem I had was that the visual mode was really slow and yes, I tried to make a D64 map in order to throw some more out there seeing as maps for D64 are a little scarce.

5:4 1280x1024. This was the defacto resolution of many LCD monitors until widescreen aspect ratios took over.

It seems pretty flexible in terms of what it can handle with config file modification, but it's nice to be able to just pick a res without digging in there.

5760x1080 would be cool but only if the engine actually draws everything in the peripheral vision.

Well this was some good news to see!

Thanks a lot for the bindable controller buttons, I was one of the people requesting that :D

Kaiser said:

If anyone feels like I am missing any resolutions, please say so now. Thx

If it's relatively easy to do, 960x720 please.
But in any case, thanks for still working on Doom 64 EX in general. It has been and continues to be an awesome product.

Would be awesome if there was a Goldeneye Ex but that would most likely be too much work. :P

Captain Red said:

Hey Kaiser, Doom64 EX 2.4 crashes if I try to save on my system. Do is it alright if I post the CRASHLOG.TXT here?

Paste the crashlog on pastie.org or something, then link it from there.