Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Kris

Me again....

I have proceeded further into the depths of Doom. This time I have made it to E2M4, Deimos Lab, I think. Quite good level, since you're not blowing things away constantly, and it's all dark and shadowy. Very tense. I like it. I wish more Doom levels were like this. Still haven't played Doom2 yet. I'm going to wait until I finish Doom to start playing Doom2.

I'm going to wait until I finish Doom to start playing Doom2.

You're going to be disappointed. At least that's what most of the people here would say. I kinda like doom2...

-Still haven't played Doom2 yet.-
Don't worry, it's not much different from the original Doom.
Won't spoil anything for you, though.
I agree, E2M4 is really good level, in some respects. It is all dark and shadowy, as you describe, and there would seem to be a decided lack of monsters, thereby heightening the sense of fear.

Wait till you see E2M6...

nah... E2M7, definately. And then Inferno... I remember playing that for the first time, as if the first two episodes weren't impressive enough, Inferno blew me away. Except E3M5, I never cared for that one much. I was stuck in the middle of that thing for well over two hours and never did realize how to make it out until I had played it a few times.

Yeah... E1 just hooked me, E2 showed off the artistry of level design they could do, and E3 was just fucking intense as hell back in the day. Hell, there's probably more enemies in E3 than there is in all of Q2. =)

I actually didn't finish E1 the first time I played. Somehow I got stuck in that room in E1M3 where you pick up the blue keycard and the lights go out. I spent like 10 minutes trying to get out before starting on E2. I finished the rest of E1 after beating the rest of the game.

Somehow I got stuck in that room in E1M3 where you pick up the blue keycard and the lights go out.

Hahahahahah ! You make me laugh.

I agree with deadnail: E1 was great, E2 looked great and E3 played great. Apart from one or two maps (the one with the big green castle was brilliant), I don't care much for Doom 2's level design.

Dammit you people! Doom 2 is awesome!!!! Playing without the double barrelled shotgun is a sin. Sure the original Doom is awesome, but Doom 2's levels fit a theme for each set of levels. A spaceport, a city (love those levels), hell, etc. I love Doom 2 as much as Doom 1. I used to think Doom 1 was better, but Doom 2 grows on you. The levels have a different flavor, that's all. In my opinion, the Doom 2 levels are equal to the ones in Doom 1. Differnt atmosphere. I guess most people don't like the enviornment or something...

Dammit you people! Doom 2 is awesome!!!! Playing without the double barrelled shotgun is a sin. Sure the original Doom is awesome, but Doom 2's levels fit a theme for each set of levels. A spaceport, a city (love those levels), hell, etc. I love Doom 2 as much as Doom 1. I used to think Doom 1 was better, but Doom 2 grows on you. The levels have a different flavor, that's all. In my opinion, the Doom 2 levels are equal to the ones in Doom 1. Differnt atmosphere. I guess most people don't like the enviornment or something...

O yes, I agree completely! The city levels were some of the most fun to me, despite their lacking detail. And the subverted spaceport levels (6-11) also rox0rs. I will agree that ID could have and should have done more with the sequel, but that doesn't mean the entire game has to suck automatically.

O yes, I agree completely! The city levels were some of the most fun to me, despite their lacking detail. And the subverted spaceport levels (6-11) also rox0rs. I will agree that ID could have and should have done more with the sequel, but that doesn't mean the entire game has to suck automatically.

I'll admit the game doesn't suck but it sure as shit ain't no Ultimate Doom.

I couldn't tell you how many times I played through the Ultimate Doom, far too many to count. You know how many times I played through Doom 2? Three times. That's it, and I certainly don't feel the need to play through it again.

When you see maps start right out with a texture misalignment in your face that should be your first sign that something was just wrong.

Well said.

I guess what turned me down in DooM 2 was the obvious lack of sense levels made.

Sure, DooM levels look like very grotesque imitations of realistic levels, but at least those has sense. E1 was a very realistic (for the time and engine) outpost, E2 had a great Tech-to-Hell transition, while E3 was a real cool concept, while it might had some problems because of the low linedefs counts.

But DooM2...no levels make sense. There's little connection between them, and most structures doesn't seem to mean anything. Take Map01 and Map02, those levels already turn me down.

The ssg and the new enemies make this one a fun game, but since the only thing you can do is run & kill, the levels are way too important to just make them in 3 weeks.

Doom2 is a good game, but it will never be an Ultimate Doom in terms of levels meaning something and that sort of thing. The levels really don't seem to fit that well with each other, but there is a gradual descending into Hell.
Ah, well. My question is: why didn't id spend more time on the sequel? One new weapon, cool as it may be, 7 new demons, and 32 new levels do not a sequel make.

But DooM2...no levels make sense. There's little connection between them, and most structures doesn't seem to mean anything. Take Map01 and Map02, those levels already turn me down.

I thought Map02 was pretty sensical. It's just a little sewer thing, nothing wrong with that. The rest of them were pretty ridiculous, especially the city levels. The progression was horrible too, as well as the mix of themes in some of the levels.