Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

Stack Exchange discussion thread

Who knows Stack Overflow? It's a great and free Q&A site for programming-related questions.

Well, its maintainers have created a whole Q&A site engine called Stack Exchange. Now it has a lot of other sites, for covering a lot of topic and themes. And I'm not joking by saying "a lot".

I recommend this site for everyone, because I found the "engine" itself pretty awesome, movitating and a great implementation of community moderating.

Do you know Stack Exchange? What do you think about the system?

Also, I'd like to invite space fans for Space Exploration.SE. :P

It's impossible not to know Stack Exchange unless the only things you look for in search engines are reality TV stars antics or w/e. :) I only know the site from the individual answer pages Google spits out, but it seems to offer better results than any other big profile Q/A website, so that's good. I get the feel there's some dubious policies, i.e. "power users" seem to have the power to close topics and often do so even though the question wasn't fully answered (which is always a terrible idea, as it bloats search engine results for years to come), but overall your assessment of its community moderation feels accurate. It beats the competition, if nothing else.

Phml said:

It's impossible not to know Stack Exchange unless the only things you look for in search engines are reality TV stars antics or w/e. :)

Actually, I've never used it until last year's March. :D don't worry, I hate reality shows. :P

Heh, Phml is definitely exaggerating, I've only ever stumbled upon this site by searching C++ and math related stuff, and I'm not sure if that was this exact site or maybe a similar one.

Half the time I search a question on there, the more interesting the question, the more likely it will be 'closed' by moderators due to some lame reason. Just moderators, aka trolls, messing up the internet like usual. These types of sites allow the elites to profit while building the "semantic web" so they can unleash their technological cube shooting boss demon AI to gobble up all the information and trigger the singularity. Then we will all have to play doom2 in real life!

Oh I know it quite well. Its a good place. Google shows them all the time.