Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
General Rainbow Bacon

Best space station maps?

I always assumed it was a version number so I didn't know there was one before it, I will second Vrack2b though.

I seem to recall Community Chest 4 had some sort of space station maps, also one of the Scythe wads had some too.

I guess Icarus is worth a mention. Im sure spaceship is interchangable with space station in this regard.

Hell to Pay also,. That spacewalk, oh man.

[LA] Spacestation 2 MAP32. :P Watching MarkIstenes beating it in some 45 minutes was the most amazing spectating experience I've ever had in ZDaemon. Just unbelievable skills and reflexes. It might just be the hardest Doom map ever, although the difficulty is achieved through rather untraditional means so it's hard to compare to insane slaughtermaps, for example. But it feels like the "I wanna be the guy" of Doom maps.

OK, technically it isn't a space station map though. So here are some other:

Mothership - this one is debatable, the space station design/layout is rather impressive but I found the gameplay horrendous.

Epic 2 map 12 - doesn't come close to the creepy ambience of Duke Nukem's second episode but it tries pretty well.

Icarus map24 - it has a few such maps but the one with space ghosts taking over the ship and a frustrating but memorable shooting gallery really takes the cake. The music is also fantastic, part of it even sounds like the noise of a spaceship engine (awesome idea).

Daedalus - incredible atmosphere but I personally couldn't keep interest in it for a long time, it's like playing Hexen for the first time in childhood: impossible to understand anything. Also fuck respawning monsters.

Hell To Pay - I don't remember the number of the map but in the second episode there is a moment where you get out of the ship and get to fly in a zero gravity area. It's really well done.

Reticula map05 - this is a recent one, rather minimalistic with very few textures but looks unique and it's a good challenge.

Osiris map01 - not sure if a spaceship but just feels like one.

Afterdoom 2 map02, map05 - oldschool slaughtermaps in space. There are more in this wad but the gameplay is often pretty meh.

Darkstar - Michael Krause does a space station map, no need to say anything else. :)

Odyssey map05 - to quote vdgg, "My jaw dropped to the floor when I saw this futuristic map that uses mainly SHAWN textures."

Some Maps From Some Episode of Some Megawad - the 3rd episode of Simplicity that didn't happen. Hooray for Tyrian 2000 music.

No End in Sight e2m4 - impressive Doom 1 spaceship by Xaser.

Green Goddess e1m5 - haven't figured out how to beat it yet but it's by Grain of Salt and looks cool.

Hell Revealed map23 - I had to mention it.

Invade2 - legendary.

Phoebe - based on a computer-generated map but don't throw it away just because of that, it's very pleasantly designed with a nice color theme.

Equinox map10 - arch-vile spaceship.

Antares - oldie, with cute new textures.

ok, enough for now o,o

Couple of ZDoom specific ones; Space Station Omega and RTC 3057. I think TNT also did a ZDoom specific one which just got mentioned, sorry.

Springy said:

Couple of ZDoom specific ones; Space Station Omega and RTC 3057. I think TNT also did a ZDoom specific one which just got mentioned, sorry.

Assault on Tei Tenga, too, IIRC.

Sapphire is pretty, even if the layout isn't very interesting.

Also the Astrolab map of Reelism.

Gez said:

Assault on Tei Tenga, too, IIRC.

Sapphire is pretty, even if the layout isn't very interesting.

Also the Astrolab map of Reelism.

Oh yes, of course I forgot about those however Tei Tenga appears to have not aged well (I played that again the other week). Speaking of Reelism, I should update to the latest version. There are many more space station maps but my mind is very blank at the moment. I believe that there was a space station type hub for Hexen as well though I could be wrong about that.

Springy said:

I believe that there was a space station type hub for Hexen as well though I could be wrong about that.

That?

Searching for "spaceship" on the idgames archive interface, I found this, which mentions "battling d'sparil in a spaceship". Between the "my first wad" syndrome and the author confusing Hexen and Heretic, I'm not sure it's good.

I believe the first one is the correct one as the name seems very familiar however, I always thought that Wolfen was the one with the space ship setting. I seem to get names confused often despite actually playing Wolfen. Thanks for tracking that down I may have to check the first one to see if it's any good, it sounds like a very strange concept for a Hexen hub.

A lot of pcorf's megawads have neat space station maps in them. The ones I remember off the top of my head are from Twilight Zone 2 and the Bella series.

Also, if I were to have participated in the 1994 tune-up challenge, I probably would have chosen this map. It has a somewhat interesting circular layout.

TimeOfDeath said:

Roger Ritenour's maps are space stationy and cool.

Agreed! If you want to play a collection of all his space station maps + his phobos maps, try out pleiades (not to be confused with the single map by the same author).

Super Sonic Doom had a space station episode with low gravity chutes and a very cool boss fight (in Sonic style) - in fact, most The Ultimate Doomer megawads seem to end up in space at some point. He usually goes for large, sparsely populated, square, corridor-heavy layouts, but you tend to play TUD things for the overall sense of adventure, IMO.

I remember a community project (I get a feeling I was involved in some capacity) having a hyper-detailed crashed space ship level within the first 5 maps that really went above and beyond when it came to the theme. I can not for the life of me remember what project this was, though :\

DTS-T also had a space station set of maps at one point, which weren't great, TBH, but did adhere to the theme relatively well.