Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RottKing

Strife available on amazon digital download

I'd like to know who the hell listed the game on Amazon, they're simply calling themselves "Strife". It smells a little too rancid for my liking.

Sorta looks like someone is just making a buck, as I doubt Strife by "Strife" really found any rights, but I could be totally mistaken. Still, nice to see some exposure for the game.

kmxexii said:

Whoever put it up was prescient enough to bundle it with a Chocolate Strife distro.

Did they? It was released a couple of days before the first Chocolate Strife beta, so I assumed they'd have bundled it with DOSBox, though being a foreigner I'm in no position to check.

I notice someone's already questioned the game's legality on Amazon's forums, if anyone here wants to toss in their two cents worth.

I like how nothing in the description says that it's an old game from the mid-nineties.

And I do not believe for one moment that it is legit.

So... Someone finally found and got rights to distribute Strife, after being in legal limbo for ages? Only in U. S. of A.?

Seems legit

GreyGhost said:

Did they? It was released a couple of days before the first Chocolate Strife beta, so I assumed they'd have bundled it with DOSBox, though being a foreigner I'm in no position to check.

Yes, it is bundled with Chocolate Strife.

And no, I do not believe that whoever put it up actually has the distribution rights.

Ragnor said:

Apparantly you need to be american to buy it, the FUCK? Its digital!

Amazon logic...

Any Twitter-haver around feels like mentioning this to Rogue co-founder Rich Fleider (@rogueswompy)?

It's being sold "by Digital Apps-106270-106270". Here's Shadow Warrior also being sold with the same ID. Kind of suspicious considering that (1) Shadow Warrior is by 3D Realms, not Rogue, and (2) Shadow Warrior is available for free on Steam (according to Wikipedia).

I'm guessing this is someone selling abandonware on Amazon to make a few bucks.

Gez said:

Any Twitter-haver around feels like mentioning this to Rogue co-founder Rich Fleider (@rogueswompy)?

Done.

fraggle said:

I'm guessing this is someone selling abandonware on Amazon to make a few bucks.

Yah, Steam has SW for free. Maybe this guy will throw Chasm up there too.

Quasar said:

Is the source code included? If not it's illegal and it needs to be reported.

No, it's not included, just the .EXE and SETUP.

ProGamerX56 said:

Just did. Still, they said EXE and SETUP, so I was just wondering.

kmxexii said:

No, it's not included, just the .EXE and SETUP.

Is this amazon chocolate strife bundled inside a gog-like installer?

I get the impression kmxexii has.

@ProGamerX56 - most likely chocolate-strife.exe and chocolate-strife-setup.exe for Windows.

GreyGhost said:

I get the impression kmxexii has.

@ProGamerX56 - most likely chocolate-strife.exe and chocolate-strife-setup.exe for Windows.

Call it morbid curiosity. And yes, you're correct.

I'd probably have done likewise, if I could persuade Amazon's servers that Australia is the 51st state in the union. ;)

I have sent a physically signed DMCA takedown request to Amazon in accordance with their outlined policies.

Krispy said:

So, how can one legally buy strife?

Like I did: Overstock.com. Original game box and business reply mail included. :P

(That was a few years ago, maybe '08..)

Ragnor said:

If this is legit, then its half-awesome. Apparantly you need to be american to buy it, the FUCK? Its digital!

I once saw Morrowind Game of the Year edition complete with every thing for only 5 dollars and I could not get It because I'm Canadian >:(

GreyGhost said:

I'd probably have done likewise, if I could persuade Amazon's servers that Australia is the 51st state in the union. ;)

BTW if you want to buy the game you just give it a US address, and it will let you. This works with all digital amazon games.