Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

Ijust found out what happens when you give a demon a far att fame in deh. I gave this guythe far attack the same as his melee frame

He basically chewed air heh.

I can't really tell if Sandy was going for a visual effect here but the part of the ceiling of MAP16 here is missing it's upper texture.

Hurricyclone said:

[IMG]do not quote, yeah-yeah[/IMG]

I can't really tell if Sandy was going for a visual effect here but the part of the ceiling of MAP16 here is missing it's upper texture.

Probably an artistic detail that modern mappers wouldn't be able to comprehend.
Just kidding - guess he was pushed to crank out maps as fast as he could and so he tightened his suspenders, praised the new Jerusalem and dished it out.
Missing Upper/Lower texture seem to be a trademark of the original maps - guess a high pressure work environment and having no 3D preview left their unique mark.

_bruce_ said:

Missing Upper/Lower texture seem to be a trademark of the original maps - guess a high pressure work environment and having no 3D preview left their unique mark.

And, not to be Captain Obvious, the way the software renderer does something which is often acceptable to a casual glance. If they'd had a 3D preview using the same renderer, it wouldn't have made matters any more obvious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dDHcGk5yO4 shows it quite neatly at 02:39 - 02:43, for those who only play in OpenGL; grey walls, grey floor, the fact that the floor texture oozes up a step isn't all that obvious - especially in 320x200. (Pity that video's in completely the wrong aspect ratio, mind.)

Just checked it out in the editor. E3M9 has another lower texture missing - the door-sector between the area with the caco/imps and the pinky tunnel.

_bruce_ said:

Just checked it out in the editor. E3M9 has another lower texture missing - the door-sector between the area with the caco/imps and the pinky tunnel.

The original levels are full of them; I just happen to remember spotting that one.

I guess those were the answers to missing textures--rushed development.

When I looked at it before I thought he was trying to make it look like there's a different ceiling flat or something before checking out the editor.

When you fall from a very high height and bump into the ground, you don't actually crouch, it's just a visual trick or maybe the camera is too slow.

It's a subtle visual trick. You can trigger it with a voodoo doll, too! Make a map where a voodoo doll will fall from a great height (simplest setup is to use a Boom conveyor belt to move it) and you'll see the camera move down momentously when the doll lands.

Gez said:

It's a subtle visual trick. You can trigger it with a voodoo doll, too! Make a map where a voodoo doll will fall from a great height (simplest setup is to use a Boom conveyor belt to move it) and you'll see the camera move down momentously when the doll lands.

Can this actually emulate an earthquake if used multiple times after each other?

Cell said:

Can this actually emulate an earthquake if used multiple times after each other?

I suppose if you get the timing for each doll perfect it could serve as a very basic effect, but it wouldn't look good. It'd probably look pretty shit.

Doom 3 has hidden Doomguy's in it (One on a magazine and some in inaccessible areas).

You can make a pain elemental fight another monster but you can't make the other monsters fight back.

If a pain elemental's lost soul hits it, if you don't act fast you will have one hell of a mess to clean up.

In PSX Doom (The actual game on the actual Playstation) you can punch or chainsaw enemies as long as they are in front of you, height does not matter (They can also return the favor with their attacks too).

Pinkies in PSX Doom are also actual threats, apparently they have a hitscan attack.

On the PSX port of Doom, on "The Citadel" there is enough specters that if you kill them in a line, looking through the corpses make it look solid rather than translucent.

Also exclusive to PSX Doom (to my knowledge at least), if you kill an enemy and a door closes on them mid death animation, they will be crushed but still act as a solid object (Found this out when a cacodemon died in the very tight doorway to the crates in "Twilight Descends", he locked the entire door and forced a restart)

mrthejoshmon said:

If a pain elemental's lost soul hits it, if you don't act fast you will have one hell of a mess to clean up.

Could you please explain that a bit better? Which DOOM version, and what hits what? Two PE's each other with their LS's?

LigH said:

Could you please explain that a bit better? Which DOOM version, and what hits what? Two PE's each other with their LS's?

If a lost soul hits a PE, he will spit more souls at the lost soul, and miss a lot which will then end in a room filling with lost souls (If you are not in the room and no lost soul hits another, you will come back to an absolute cluster of the things).

mrthejoshmon said:

Also exclusive to PSX Doom (to my knowledge at least), if you kill an enemy and a door closes on them mid death animation, they will be crushed but still act as a solid object

Also applies to early versions of vanilla (such as v1.2, which PSX is based on via JagDoom). Frustrating as fuck when it occurs on PSX. Best place to see it in action is The Crusher; the Hellknights die then get smashed immediately. If they're by the stairs when this happens, then no Plasma Rifle for you!

BaronOfStuff said:

Also applies to early versions of vanilla (such as v1.2, which PSX is based on via JagDoom). Frustrating as fuck when it occurs on PSX. Best place to see it in action is The Crusher; the Hellknights die then get smashed immediately. If they're by the stairs when this happens, then no Plasma Rifle for you!

Or when a very essential door just happens to be a "fast" door and as soon as you kill that one enemy in it the door slams shut, it just happened to be a cacodemon making it look like the little shit enjoyed doing that with a smile on its face. Forced restart of the entire map just because one of those floating ballsacks got it's fat ass stuck...

I just thank god for the given passwords that are already typed in upon starting the next level.

Also, I think it was something like:

BBBBBBBBBC

or

BCBCBCBCBC

that gives you extremely low health, but also gives you a super shotgun on the second map of Ultimate Doom

I also found out you can just use codes from PSX Final Doom on PSX Doom to get a shit load of equipment on MAP02, also Final Doom apparently has no secret maps, I was extremely bitter once I found that out.

mrthejoshmon said:

I also found out you can just use codes from PSX Final Doom on PSX Doom to get a shit load of equipment on MAP02, also Final Doom apparently has no secret maps, I was extremely bitter once I found that out.

Yep, the passwords for MAP01 to MAP30 are compatible. As far as the game's concerned, each password is just telling it the skill, map number, and player stats/gear (rounded up). The name of each map or whatever is in it is entirely inconsequential.

Trying to use any password for MAP31 - MAP59 in Final Doom will give the usual incorrect password message. Better than a crash, but almost disappointing that it doesn't bomb out with some 'missing map' error instead.

mrthejoshmon said:

Also exclusive to PSX Doom (to my knowledge at least), if you kill an enemy and a door closes on them mid death animation, they will be crushed but still act as a solid object

That anomaly was responsible for many of my experiences of being crushed on E2M2, just because I got "hung on" those fuckers' smashed corpses. Arrrgh!

BaronOfStuff said:

Yep, the passwords for MAP01 to MAP30 are compatible. As far as the game's concerned, each password is just telling it the skill, map number, and player stats/gear (rounded up). The name of each map or whatever is in it is entirely inconsequential.

Trying to use any password for MAP31 - MAP59 in Final Doom will give the usual incorrect password message. Better than a crash, but almost disappointing that it doesn't bomb out with some 'missing map' error instead.

I was expecting it to load Doom 2 maps (Like they were left in the files or something), turns out you can only do that with a "Disc-swap" trick (where you play one game off of another, it's weird) and play Final Doom with Doom or Doom with Final Doom...

Only problem is that the game becomes extremely unstable and will crash whenever it feels like it... Which usually translates into the end of a level or the main menu, basically when any loading takes the game will probably bomb out and freeze the playstation (You can have more fun disc swapping games like "Oddworld: Abe's Odyssey" with "Oddworld: Abe's Exodus" which leaves the game somewhat playable with a lot of fucked up shit in between).

I also have noticed how emulating the game directly from its disc ends up in some kind of horrible half textured mess with jittery framerate, not sure about a ROM version though.

I then also found out the PSX Sky textures do not continue downward, I was sent under the map by dying in a door (Which sends you under the map when it closes) and I could see the sky texture, at a certain point it just stops and is replaced by an endless black abyss...

Cell said:

That anomaly was responsible for many of my experiences of being crushed on E2M2, just because I got "hung on" those fuckers' smashed corpses. Arrrgh!

I played PSX Doom so much that I think I actually made a pinky wall out of this glitch on "Refueling Base", completely by accident which not only made the level unbeatable but also got the imps stuck on the other side.

And finally, in Doom 3 I was able to preserve the corpse of an Archvile (Didn't disintegrate) on the Xbox port, I have no idea how but in the "Studying" I did with it's body (I.E slapped it around with the best weapon in the game: The flashlight) I noticed how it has one of the most stiffest ragdolls I have ever seen, I don't even think it has elbows.

Fellowzdoomer said:

Re: disc swap.
Hmm...! Wonder what happens when you swap CT or FF3 with Doom...

nothing, you can only disc swap games with the same game engine and code. Mixing game engines would just crash and possibly break your games.

Also somebody really loves STONEGARG in E2

I've just found out that Final Doom and Strife were released on the very same day in the same year (at least according to wikipedia).

mrthejoshmon said:

Also somebody really loves STONEGARG in E2

They're only found in E2M4 and E2M5.

ASD said:

They're only found in E2M4 and E2M5.

It's either E2M4 or E2M5 that there is an entire section that uses almost only STONEGARG for the walls, I think it was called something like "Deimos Lab", I dunno it has been ages since I went through Ultimate Doom and I just noticed it on some guys playthrough of it.

Back at MAP16 again:

That's a door. You can open it directly and it can stay open.

But if you grab the blue key first, the same key that triggers the hordes of monsters, the door will also open and remain open.

I never noticed this until just now since I always get the blue key before going to this building (northern building by the way).

Hurricyclone said:

That's a door. You can open it directly and it can stay open.

But if you grab the blue key first, the same key that triggers the hordes of monsters, the door will also open and remain open.

I never noticed this until just now since I always get the blue key before going to this building (northern building by the way).

Interesting. I used to love triggering all the monsters and then watch the shitstorm from the window in the room to the left.