Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
waverider

Sinister-looking kinda dark or dark hell sky wanted!

I believe I found the problem. The texture that's being used in your maps is SKY1, not RSKY1. If you check the entry for SKY1 in your TEXTURE1 lump, the texture size is set to 256x128. So just set the correct size in that entry and it should work :)

I also updated the texture a bit for you so the dark red blotches aren't as harsh looking.

Ralphis said:

If you've never personally been to hell, how can you assume that it has no stars?

Because hell doesn't exist and the general idea for hell was to have a fiery or red clouded sky.

A quick color remap. You'll need to touch up that ugly spotty part on the left and similar areas of bright yellow:

I can give it a try. The orange range tends to be really bright through. Maybe I can work out a range that uses some browns to fade to black, or near black. But I could also use the E4 palette so it would use the exact same colors as that sky. It would look something along the lines of this with the oranges being the highlights and pinks being the shadow/darker colors.

*edit*

Ok, here are my attempts.

A bright, mostly pure orange version.

A version which uses an E4 orange-to-pink palette.

I'm not terribly happy with these, but it's about the best I could do with the time I have. If you like them though, then I guess that's all that matters :)

Mechadon said:

Hmm, I just checked it and it tiles seamlessly for me. PrBoom+ should support 1024px wide patches, so I don't think cutting it up and assembling it in TEXTURE1 is necessary.

Without actually seeing the wad, I can't figure out what the problem is.

Can you post a working wad?

You'll have to ask odysseyofnoises for a working wad. I didn't fix the issue, I only pointed out what was causing it.

Mechadon said:

Ok, here are my attempts.

A bright, mostly pure orange version.

Quick fix:

That red one looks like something Revilution could use for E3. im sure its already been yoinked for several projects now though :p

Anything I make and post can be used by anyone for any reason in any fashion they see fit. So please go right ahead and use it if you like it!

I have a bunch of sky texture reject from Vela Pax that I was going to post at some point. I could post some of the nicer ones if anyone is interested.

Those orange skies are OK. They look great in a regular image but when doom converts them to its palette they don't look as nice. I still think I like the original doom e4 sky though, so I guess I'll just stick with that

odysseyofnoises said:

Those orange skies are OK. They look great in a regular image but when doom converts them to its palette they don't look as nice. I still think I like the original doom e4 sky though, so I guess I'll just stick with that

These images are in the Doom palette (or, atleast, they are using the paletted colors). Though that doesn't mean they will look good in-game necessarily :P. I find that when there's not a whole lot of contrast in the color range your using, large, smooth regions in the sky tend to look bad in-game. That's why I wasn't sure it would very good in the orange range. But hey, I tried!

glenzinho said:

Always interested in new skies Mech, even if I'll never use them.

Ok well, I guess it wouldn't hurt to go ahead and upload some of my old, crappy sky texture rejects.

Here is a gallery

And here's a selection of the more promising ones that might be useful to someone out there.

I make no promise that these will look good. They are rejects after all! They might need some tweaks to be useable; at the very least they might make a base for a better texture.

There's an awesome doom e4 type sky in retres.wad. The problem with the orange skies here it seems is that the colors don't really blend very nicely. like in this screenshot, from resonance.wad map09 using the sky with the brown mountains: http://postimg.org/image/3r3nahu1r/

the reds just don't blend very well, and there's some gray stuff around the red areas that looks weird. Other than that though the yellows and oranges are not bad. could be better may be but still, at least you tried, so I ain't knocking you for that, heh. I have no idea how doom e4 and retres.wad pulled it off so perfectly...

and this is that same scene on map09 with the retres sky I'm using: http://postimg.org/image/wzrqd3uk5/

I'd imagine the blue, green, or red skies would be great though, haven't tried them though so I don't know.

They would most likely be better off in ports which don't force palettize the textures such as GZDOOM.

odysseyofnoises said:

There's an awesome doom e4 type sky in retres.wad. The problem with the orange skies here it seems is that the colors don't really blend very nicely. like in this screenshot, from resonance.wad map09 using the sky with the brown mountains: http://postimg.org/image/3r3nahu1r/

There's definitely something going wrong when your converting the texture to the Doom image format. Because that sky in question should look like this. (if this is the sky your referencing, that is). Then again, that might be an old variant that wasn't paletted properly; I'll double check it and see. Actually I was a little confused which sky your talking about, so if it's this one, it should look like this:

I like that other orange sky you posted though. It's sort of like a hazy, orange fog.

*edit*

Just checked that sky and it is paletted. So what you see in the image is what it should look like once its converted to the Doom image format.

odysseyofnoises said:

Those orange skies are OK. They look great in a regular image but when doom converts them to its palette they don't look as nice.

They are in Doom's palette. They convert perfectly with no color change or degradation when I import them with SLADE 3. What are you using to import them?

Yeah, I think XWE can mess up the colors when you import PNG pictures. If you resave PNG in BMP, it imports fine.

when I import textures using slade3 it just exits on signal 11 when I look at the sky texture, and converting to bmp messes up the image.

edit: nevermind, I got it. It still doesn't look like in that image when I play in prboom plus though. It looks better in gzdoom.