Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kyka

TNT: Revilution . 2 small to medium maps wanted

Nightmap is that map. But we haven't sorted out skies yet, so probably not that sky.

Where did that screen come from? I know nightmap was part of a now defunct project, don't remember which, but when it died, I totally stole it for this.

Ragnor said:

I was actually going to ask you if I could use that midi I requested you to make for Devilution map 1. I dont feel its too appropriate without a map 1 that continues from Last Call though. Megamur, Kyka, what do you think?

Well, it wouldn't necessarily be inappropriate to use even if the first level isn't based off of Last Call. It would still give a musical sense of continuation from Evilution. Alternatively, we could be a little sneaky and just have TNTR's first map start from a different area of Last Call than TNT2's MAP01. Maybe DoomGuy backtracked to find a way out. :)

Hey, if you want to do something a little distinct, maybe we go about the whole concept of "the Icon of Sin isn't really dead and the blue light just meant it was recharging itself," and MAP01 involves the player trying to escape the reactivated IoS (you don't see it, just hear it activating--DoomGuy left, thinking it was dead), with spawn cubes flying all over the level and no way to stop them--the player just has to get out.

Of course, then that begs the question of why DoomGuy would leave Hell if the IoS is still alive. I'm sure he'd try to find some other way to stop it.... He'd need some sort of motivation to return to the Jupiter moonbase. Maybe he discovers somehow that the demons took over the Jupiter moonbase in order to steal its technology: The New Technology was some sort of super soldier program or something, using biotech to resurrect and supercharge the dead (perhaps UAC research on soul spheres?), and now the IoS has this tech under its control. DoomGuy will have to return to the Jupiter moonbase (can we just say it's Io already? Just for the purposes of this mod? For Eris' sake?) in order to uncover the research and figure out how to destroy it, unaware that the demons are even now using more UAC tech to enhance the IoS into something far deadlier....

...I realize I'm just kind of rambling here, though. This idea is probably complete nonsense. And it'd be hard to explain how DoomGuy would be able to piece together that IoS + TNT = Super IoS, unless the first level is some sort of Hell labs that show diagnostic readouts and such on the walls with the TNT solution being fed to the IoS.

That's the fun thing about writing Doom stories, though: They only have to make the bare minimum of sense to motivate all the killing. :)

Truthfully, we are working on skies as fast as possible. We haven't got the skies together yet. :(

Also, Megamur and Ragnor, PM's inbound. Check them. :)

A small request; can I look maps 19 and 22? I have something... colossal... in mind, and I would like to make levels interconnected as possible.

And if Ragnor wants, I can tell in PM what I am exactly gonna do. :P

Whoah, I leave my thread vigil and you guys go nuts with more ideas :D. I'll take a better look tomorrow, it's nearly 4 am

I have a request for one of the empty slots for a mapper, I'll post it tomorrow

I would like to book MAP11 slot for myself. Is it alright, even if I tell you that I know for sure I won't even start mapping within a month? (I'll thoroughly consider it at least. :)) I can promise you some pretty wonky shaped rooms.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

Feel free to book a mapslot, and as long as your map either meets the standards, or you are prepared to work with us until it does, then you are in. If we get too many maps, we reserve the right to pick the best 32 for the final release.

Now it would be nice to know: What standards have to be met? The OP lacks information whether this project is mostly about TNT-inspired "modern" maps or rather oldschool-TNT-feeling maps, what are the themes for particular episodes, and such.

Megamur said:

Well, it wouldn't necessarily be inappropriate to use even if the first level isn't based off of Last Call. It would still give a musical sense of continuation from Evilution. Alternatively, we could be a little sneaky and just have TNTR's first map start from a different area of Last Call than TNT2's MAP01. Maybe DoomGuy backtracked to find a way out. :)

Hey, if you want to do something a little distinct, maybe we go about the whole concept of "the Icon of Sin isn't really dead and the blue light just meant it was recharging itself," and MAP01 involves the player trying to escape the reactivated IoS (you don't see it, just hear it activating--DoomGuy left, thinking it was dead), with spawn cubes flying all over the level and no way to stop them--the player just has to get out.

Of course, then that begs the question of why DoomGuy would leave Hell if the IoS is still alive.

Apart from the fact that half the maps are already made, why have Doom guy leave hell without stopping it? Why not have it just be TNT in reverse Hell -> E2 -> Techbases? Doomguy's journey to leave Jupiter. Final Boss could be something different than the IOS for a change.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

Pick a mapslot, and you are in. (We can always move the maps around a little later if need be.)

Ok let's have map28 then.
Don't worry Ragnor, it's not ;)

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

If you wish to sign up, give it a shot. Why not.

In other news, I apologize for our little altercation on the TNT2 thread. Glad the whole thing is all sorted now.

I may give it a shot at a later date but I feel at this moment I won't be able to deliver something of high expectation. Though I am thinking of contributing an Evilution map for TWiD as I feel I may be able to do that. On the subject of the apology, that's okay and I should apologise to seeing as I was way out of line on that one, sorry about that. I may be more comfortable with collaborating at this stage however.

scifista42 said:

I would like to book MAP11 slot for myself. Is it alright, even if I tell you that I know for sure I won't even start mapping within a month? (I'll thoroughly consider it at least. :)) I can promise you some pretty wonky shaped rooms.
Now it would be nice to know: What standards have to be met? The OP lacks information whether this project is mostly about TNT-inspired "modern" maps or rather oldschool-TNT-feeling maps, what are the themes for particular episodes, and such.

11 better be an epic episode finisher ;]

Themes are practically the same as Devilution, due to our split from that project; Jupiter's moon; other side of moon/space/night; industrial tech hell.

Tarnsman said:

Apart from the fact that half the maps are already made, why have Doom guy leave hell without stopping it? Why not have it just be TNT in reverse Hell -> E2 -> Techbases? Doomguy's journey to leave Jupiter. Final Boss could be something different than the IOS for a change.

This was Devilution's early goal actually. Notably seen in the very first demo with two hellish early maps. But yeah, its hard to switch to that when we started Revilution with 16 rejected Devilution maps. I feel it would be a better idea in a true dedicated TRCP with all slots open from the start

Megamur said:

Of course, then that begs the question of why DoomGuy would leave Hell if the IoS is still alive. I'm sure he'd try to find some other way to stop it.... He'd need some sort of motivation to return to the Jupiter moonbase. Maybe he discovers somehow that the demons took over the Jupiter moonbase in order to steal its technology: The New Technology was some sort of super soldier program or something, using biotech to resurrect and supercharge the dead (perhaps UAC research on soul spheres?), and now the IoS has this tech under its control. DoomGuy will have to return to the Jupiter moonbase (can we just say it's Io already? Just for the purposes of this mod? For Eris' sake?) in order to uncover the research and figure out how to destroy it, unaware that the demons are even now using more UAC tech to enhance the IoS into something far deadlier....

...I realize I'm just kind of rambling here, though. This idea is probably complete nonsense. And it'd be hard to explain how DoomGuy would be able to piece together that IoS + TNT = Super IoS, unless the first level is some sort of Hell labs that show diagnostic readouts and such on the walls with the TNT solution being fed to the IoS.

That's the fun thing about writing Doom stories, though: They only have to make the bare minimum of sense to motivate all the killing. :)

I knew youd have the same kind of crazy ideas as me. Our map 1 slot is filled, but we can request a Last Call area if we need one. I always wanted Devilution to expand a bit more on that "IoS glows blue" thing, was kind of disappointed that the dead IoS had no trace of it. Of course the IoS is used later all over symbolically, so it wouldnt make sense having them all blue, but still.

Do we still have any of those dead IoSes in the texture pack, or are they not shared between TNT2 and TNTR? Just thought of a little introductory (non gameplay) area to map 1 that shows a good divergence from Devilution.

I will be looking forward to this.

I would offer help BUT I don't have any useful assets for this project (Unless you want like 3 crappy and simple re-colors of some of the stock marble textures, and by that I mean I turned them dark grey) and I don't think I could produce maps as good as these (and they would stick out like a bastard).

However, you could put me down as a tester, I can look for bugs and shit.

scifista42 said:

Awesome. Ur in. And as for not starting for the next month, all good. We are not in that much of a rush to get the maps in. All we will probably ask is for mappers to show the odd bit of progress over the next few months.

You raise a good point. I will update the first post, but I will also say here that we are not going for a literal 'TNT the way id did'. I guess you could say that what we are going for is a 'spiritual' successor to TNT, where the maps have a distinct tnt feel to them, but modernised in terms of quality and look. So in short, we want to capture everything that was great about the original, but maintaining modern levels of quality and design standards.

The other thing I will mention is that we do want some form of 'story', so if you are doing an episode transition map (start or end) or some other 'key' map (07, 30 etc) then we may have a couple of chats regarding ideas/themes for those maps. Nothing too limiting for the mapper, just a general concept for the map that fits the wider theme.

Does that sort of answer your question?

cannonball said:

Ok let's have map28 then.
Don't worry Ragnor, it's not ;)

Done.

mrthejoshmon said:

I will be looking forward to this.

I would offer help BUT I don't have any useful assets for this project (Unless you want like 3 crappy and simple re-colors of some of the stock marble textures, and by that I mean I turned them dark grey) and I don't think I could produce maps as good as these (and they would stick out like a bastard).

However, you could put me down as a tester, I can look for bugs and shit.

For sure. You are added. :)

Xaser said:

I'm tossing around a couple of ideas in my head, but knowing me, "surreal unrealistic hell" isn't a particularly far-fetched prospect. :P

At any rate, good to see the name "Revilution" put to use. Fun to see it alongside the other name. ;)

EDIT: Oh shike, I realized that if the name becomes "TNT: Revilution Community Project" then you'd get "TRCP". But maybe that's silly... P:

hey, i like that surreal unrealistic hell theme.

there's a lot of this "map in the style of" coming lately, as dtwid & d2twid, tnt2 devilution, and now this one would be a tnt3,

as well as a fdtwid (or bought it) containing another tnt (the 4th),

plus another plutonia, which, after the original, pl2 and prcp would be also the 4th.

I liked unused ideas from previous project so...

To make things different you can always make 1 huge arena with multiple monster corpses and IoS skull split open with glowing effect the way one of the mutant corpses from Hacx had. Reason to escape from this place isn't demon-spitter being re-activated but in fact distress signal or impulse sent to other place.

Mission for Doomguy is to locate that area to stop another invasion. In kind of hellish mix of space station or moon (think of artificial planet built of metal, flesh and corruption) the demon-spitter signal was in fact something like virtual copy of defeated enemy, a virus or fragmentary AI that used demon-spitter, now rebuilding his power using resources, cores and cybernetic technology to crush lone man that is you in act of revenge.

Doomguy manages to escape previous area and takes teleport to the artificial hellish moon blowing stuff in process. Now re-assembled AI in new demonic body is transported to hellship with plans to launch full attack, once again, on Earth. But Doomguy goes here and destroy all 4 cores which lowers shielding and damages "AI".

So, we have existing area from Evilution ending (Episode1), new hellish moon/base as Episode 2 and hellish space flagship for Episode 3. This reverse order is to avoid similarity between these two projects.

Springy said:

I am glad too see that those maps are not going to waste. I would contribute but my mapping is not advanced enough, too boxy, lack of detail and outdoor areas being shit. So good luck with this is about the only contribution I can really do.

what better way to challenge yourself then, eh? :p

I suppose I'll volunteer for a map though! anything will do really :D

Tango said:

what better way to challenge yourself then, eh? :p

I suppose I'll volunteer for a map though! anything will do really :D

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

For sure. You are added. :)

Excellent, when there is a test build or an update PM it to me and I will get onto it as fast as I can.

If I have the time, I will try to get something in for this.

I'll let you know if I dedicate something for this.

Nice to see clarity on the whole mess. Good for all of you!

For sure. Would welcome a submission from you Mionic! And really glad that everything is sorted out now. Cheers bro.

Just posting a request that can be ignored: Back in 2012 I had a "Singularity" concept for a Devilution map, but the slots were basically full. If anyone could make this into a real thing, that'd be awesome.

Sounds good Kyka, If its okay with you I'll get my brother to play the demo too, hes not a hardcore Doomer with nostalgia for TNT (Im really itching to play it again, thanks to the PS3 collection
staring me in the face) but a lot of respect for the game, so it might be interesting feedback.

Also, in applying Terminus to the wormhole map...how about "Terminus Singularity"? Im thinking up tech words at this point. Feels like I'll be stealing names from Mass Effect at this rate! What would you do for the themes of the other identical areas in it? Hell version, living flesh version, voidish version? If it does become four, I suggest having them wrapped around, say, an imaginary singularity
*>*
^@v
*<*
Like so, the arrows are the level segment "clones". A level theme of different dimensional states of the same area, trapped in a perpetual vortex, where you must break out of the cycle? All within vanilla constraints. Just have to think of interesting ways to make it work I guess. Does anyone else have some ideas for this kind of level?

In other news, been working on textures and concept skies today.

Posting this here too, for the sake of disclosure.

Since I had no interest in taking a side in this situation, my intention was to make my TNT music available as a pool that both teams could draw from. Instead, it looks like Whoo and KYKA might agree that there shouldn't be any overlap between the two. I don't see the point but I'm fine with that - as long as the reservations are dictated by the needs of the mapmakers. It would be unfair and unproductive just to divvy them up like some sort of divorce proceeding.

Here are the latest versions.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9nX-nszGzKvTEZ1VnRQWjJyVEU/edit?usp=sharing

Ragnor said:

"Singularity" concept

Aha! That's it! I can imagine it now -- a map that looks as if it's being distortified and sucked into a 'void' of some sort, and your idea of repeated motifs in differing themes ought to go along with that quite well. Mind if I snag this idea, by chance?

[EDIT] Meant to mention this earlier, but Valkiriforce's Egypt map is called "Anubis" -- at least that's the name it was assigned when I first saw the wad, so I can only presume it's canon. Better than "Unknown Questionmark", I suppose. :P

Though admittedly that might make a cool name if done properly.

Bucket said:

Posting this here too, for the sake of disclosure.

Since I had no interest in taking a side in this situation, my intention was to make my TNT music available as a pool that both teams could draw from. Instead, it looks like Whoo and KYKA might agree that there shouldn't be any overlap between the two. I don't see the point but I'm fine with that - as long as the reservations are dictated by the needs of the mapmakers. It would be unfair and unproductive just to divvy them up like some sort of divorce proceeding.

Here are the latest versions.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9nX-nszGzKvTEZ1VnRQWjJyVEU/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks Bucket. Much appreciated.

Xaser said:

Aha! That's it! I can imagine it now -- a map that looks as if it's being distortified and sucked into a 'void' of some sort, and your idea of repeated motifs in differing themes ought to go along with that quite well. Mind if I snag this idea, by chance?

[EDIT] Meant to mention this earlier, but Valkiriforce's Egypt map is called "Anubis" -- at least that's the name it was assigned when I first saw the wad, so I can only presume it's canon. Better than "Unknown Questionmark", I suppose. :P

Noted and fixed. And good luck with the Singularity thing.

Xaser said:

Oh wow, sure, go ahead. You were there with me and Kyka debating ideas for that concept back then actually, so its gone full circle I guess.

Thanks for the map name, I got mixed up with that Osiris TC earlier I guess

Before I start working on the first map, do you want it to be more than just a TNT map? Like a sequel to the original story, or start from hell instead of a tech base, or anything special to have.

(Also, you misspelled C30N9 wrong :P)

EDIT: As for the name, how about "Or is it?"? Referring to "Last Call", the last map in TNT.

My idea was for a Last Call start to teleport into your map proper, so that whatever you design isnt messed up in anyway. No items, no monsters, just a little atmospheric bit to send the player on thier way through Revilution, and a reference to the diverging paths with Devilution :}

Speaking of which, could someone do us a favour and edit us a dead IoS from the TNT bossback? ie the blue light version. I kind of want to start our story off from that ending.

I'm thinking instead of going into the dead IoS like Devilution, do what Megamur suggested. Backtrack a short while, through that last hallway of Last Hall, then teleport into your Map 1 where the game really begins.

If we go with this idea, the map is totally using Bucket's Tin Toker midi, for obvious reasons :} (Even if Devilution does use it too. Let us start from the same point, and go our seperate paths)

EDIT: I suck. Better said as "Do your own thing" really

EDIT2: I have no idea about the name. Some of our names are in the silly territory already (I still expect "viva la Revilution" to pop up), while some are normalish. I prefer names to have a lot of meaning behind them, or simple to the point names, I would probably call map 1 Divergent Likeness as another reference to the origin of Revilution, that and the fact it backtracks a short distance from Last Call.

Sorry, I tend to create what Xaser called "word soup" in 2012 :p

Looks like this project is shaping up nicely and speeding up. Maybe in the end, this is what we exactly needed, to go our own ways and create even more lovely content for people. Anywho, i'll keep an eye on this, you can feel free to even bug me to see if I can test it.