Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fellowzdoomer

Doom 2 Maps in Doom 1 - Switcheroom first! Starting it April 15!

Should we include E4M5(Map33) - Betray?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Should we include E4M5(Map33) - Betray?

• Yeah, why not?
    • Nah! Who needs that level?

The IRC chat snippet below will be removed
ANNOUNCEMENT: Apparently this is a switcheroom 3 I didn't mean to start. Leta wait til Maybe March 16 or April.

/---Switcheroom IRC---\

Fellowzdoomer: Jimmy: I have an idea for a CP.
Fellowzdoomer: May have to wait til April16.

Schwerpunk: What's your CP idea?
Schwerpunk: CP = community project?
Fellowzdoomer: Doom 2 Levels in Doom 1. Yeah CP means community project.
Schwerpunk: If this is something like a monochrome project d advise against it.
Fellowzdoomer: Why?
… 15 mins later
Fellowzdoomer: OK don't answer me...

This is the birth of this. So... Lets start early! Rules

1 - Vanilla Compatible
2 - Limit of 4 maps
3 - Must Retain to original layout (secrets optional of course)
4 - New Textures allowed (Can one resourceful person get the doom 2 skies?)
5 - BOOBY TRAP THE STALEMATE BUTTON!! (Only the truly worthy and Google may find out this reference)
6 - No sneaky Portal references.
7 - No copy-pasting! I don't need to be in trouble now...!

Oh and...

E1M3 -----> E1M9
E2M5 -----> E2M9
E3M6 -----> E3M9
E4M2 -----> E4M9
...if your map just so happens to the LEFT maps lot, please use a Go to ExMy linedef for contuinous play (9 instead of 8)

MAPS TAKEN

E1M1(Map01) - Fellowzdoomer
E1M5(Map05) - Fellowzdoomer
E2M2(Map11) - Fellowzdoomer

I'll make a MapXX to ExMy conversion, as well as a DEH to handle some "Doom 2" stuff

You should release Switcheroom 1 officially and get Switcheroom 2 into testing before we get to Switcheroom 3.

This is kind of getting silly.

Fellowzdoomer, you really remind me of myself a year or two ago. Getting an idea and thinking it's SO MEGA COOL AND ORIGINAL, and jumping on it with eagerness. Only to later find out that things won't go as you imagine, because other people might not have understanding for your vision, and then the eagerness melts away easy.

I would recommend you to stay around for a while and work on your own skills and release/show your own works, before trying to recruit the community for you.

I am sorry to speak with you this way, but you need to actually realize that you're just one of the MANY people around here, and I think all of the people are getting ideas, like you. If you want to achieve something, you need to show how YOU are good. Which may require to get a little more skilled and matured, first. And also to watch out to get able to recognize what is appropriately cool, and what only seems cool to you.

Again, I am sorry to say this all. You know, I partially speak from my own experience. I also know you're a kid. I'm still convinced that I'm giving you a good advice.

By the way, I don't see the point in making "Doom 2 maps in Doom 1", because what exactly would be changed in them? Texturing, and decreased enemy variation? Disconcerted level progression? Yet another project aiming for non-original work? Working with the very same layouts as in Switcheroom 2, again? I don't see it as worth it. Sorry.

(While in the Switcheroom 2's case, people were already calling for it, so creating the project was granted to satisfy at least those.)

But Doom 2 and Doom 1 are so similar - This isn't like the D64 idea where we combine two totally different styles. They're virtually identical.

I like the idea of the community putting Doom 3 into Doom 2, with their own vision of what exactly that means. It would probably make the maps a lot more fun to play through, and it would be interesting to see how people replace the "one imp struggle" battles from D3 into D2 where you can clear out a lot more enemies with a much more interesting arsenal. I just haven't got the time to manage a community project, as DMR has proven.

Like the eagerness, but I don't really get the idea.

Doomkid92 said:

But Doom 2 and Doom 1 are so similar - This isn't like the D64 idea where we combine two totally different styles. They're virtually identical.

I like the idea of the community putting Doom 3 into Doom 2, with their own vision of what exactly that means. It would probably make the maps a lot more fun to play through, and it would be interesting to see how people replace the "one imp struggle" battles from D3 into D2 where you can clear out a lot more enemies with a much more interesting arsenal. I just haven't got the time to manage a community project, as DMR has proven.

Like the eagerness, but I don't really get the idea.

A quite a few month's back 2 projects trying to take Doom 3 & put it into Doom 2 were started, but I don't think either were finished.

Here's one started by Scifista42

Here is the other one by pablogener

I honestly don't see the point in making Doom 2 maps in Doom 1. Is this supposed to be some kind of switcherdoom hybrid, like combining design elements from E1M1 with MAP01?

Jaws In Space said:

A quite a few month's back 2 projects trying to take Doom 3 & put it into Doom 2 were started, but I don't think either were finished.

The mine one wasn't (*lowers eyes and bends head, ashamed*). That's the project I was referring to in my above post in this thread.

The pablogener's one was finished.

EDIT: Well, Jaws in Space linked them already.

scifista42 said:

EDIT: Well, Jaws in Space linked them already.

I thought it would take me a lot longer to find those.

Also since I'm here I do have to agree with everyone else. I don't really see the point of this project. Maybe I could see the want for Doom in Doom 2 due to the extra monsters, but even then I still wouldn't be interested.

Along with Switcheroom 2, I also got an idea to retexture Doom 1 maps only with D2 specific textures, and change monsters to the D2 specific ones, too. To achieve the right effect, the maps would have to be perfectly copypasted, perhaps just some height variation changed (like the sky ceiling in E1M1 would be risen to infinity, etc.).

Of course I trashed the idea.

scifista42 said:

Fellowzdoomer, you really remind me of myself a year or two ago. Getting an idea and thinking it's SO MEGA COOL AND ORIGINAL, and jumping on it with eagerness. Only to later find out that things won't go as you imagine, because other people might not have understanding for your vision, and then the eagerness melts away easy.

Yeah... kinda have that problem with a certain Cyberdreams 2 CP

I would recommend you to stay around for a while and work on your own skills and release/show your own works, before trying to recruit the community for you.

I am sorry to speak with you this way, but you need to actually realize that you're just one of the MANY people around here, and I think all of the people are getting ideas, like you. If you want to achieve something, you need to show how YOU are good. Which may require to get a little more skilled and matured, first. And also to watch out to get able to recognize what is appropriately cool, and what only seems cool to you.

Last time I said this, I said it to a cat and she scratched my head!

jokes aside, I do notice how other people don't think sometimes an idea is how one other thinks it is. Just thought people might see it as a good idea.
[quote]
Again, I am sorry to say this all. You know, I partially speak from my own experience. I also know you're a kid. I'm still convinced that I'm giving you a good advice.
[quote]
No Apology needed! Don't worry! you don't sound like Sarge so you're OK!

...and yeah. I'm a kid... A kid who's mapping skill has improved a tiny bit.

You are giving me good advice.

By the way, I don't see the point in making "Doom 2 maps in Doom 1", because what exactly would be changed in them? Texturing, and decreased enemy variation? Disconcerted level progression? Yet another project aiming for non-original work? Working with the very same layouts as in Switcheroom 2, again?

You said it. Textures, ambushes, less variation (not really due to DEH).

I don't see it as worth it. Sorry.

OK.