Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

When I see a big group of people IRL I always want to blast them up with an SSG or a rocket launcher but when I see a number of groups I would like to BFG them.

According to the confession above, I actually intended to blast the first person I encountered after an extremely long set of playing Doom, and I was just surprised I couldn't find any button to do so.

I think "Doom 64" is the best of the series. I probably always will. (Sorry, John.)

Though, PSX Doom is moving up there, too....

It took years of play for stupid me to realize that PE's have no melee attack. Since then I off them with fists/chainsaw (up close) but prefer chaingun/plasma gun at a distance. Lost souls are dispatched by inciting in-fighting or by hosing them down with a chaingun.

mrthejoshmon said:

I have played TNT more times than Ultimate Doom.

Me too. I prefer TNT/Plutonia to the original IWADs. Eternal Doom tops my fave list, especially Silures and Excaliber (No Parking is great too).

I kind of like backtracking, these unique moments of respite when after a series of fights you go through the familiar but now empty areas again and mentally prepare to go back to slaying monsters. Obviously this is more about "adventure" levels rather than fast-paced scythe-like stuff or slaughter maps.

I don't mind backtracking as much as lazy backtracking.

Go from A to B, from B to C, then going from C to D makes me cross A and B? Sure. Go from A to B, then backtrack from B to A through a newly opened or previous inaccessible path I could see but not get to? That works.

Plain go from A to B then from B to A with no change of any kind seems a little cheap. Even then, yeah, it's cool to have some time to reflect every once in a while. Yet another thing Doom does great; with the monster corpses, even a scene with no environmental changes looks drastically different after the fight. You lose that dimension in modern games bent on vaporizing dead bodies. Destructible environments, even on a large scale, aren't quite the same thing.

DoomUK said:

• I've always preferred the ambient music from the Playstation port(s) and Doom 64 over the original PC music. By miles.
    [/LIST]

• I've always hated the original PC music, and I would always mute it and play my own. The downside being you can't hear the guns or monsters.

I pistol-started MAP16 of D2TWID, and it took me a good five minutes to realise that I had not become astonishingly good at dodging everything, but had accidentally turned on invulnerability. :-(

damerell said:

I pistol-started MAP16 of D2TWID, and it took me a good five minutes to realise that I had not become astonishingly good at dodging everything, but had accidentally turned on invulnerability. :-(

How do you do such stuff "accidentally"? :D

I used to play PC Doom exclusively with a gamepad (because I was used to playing SNES Doom and Doom 64 before I ever had a PC) and for a number of years I had cheat codes mapped to one of the thumbsticks via joy2key or something similar. I actually could easily turn invulnerability on by accident with that setup.

I could see someone using wasd accidentally typing ddqd in the heat of battle, and if they accidentally hit "i" first instead of 8 potentially it could actually be done entirely by accident. It's unlikely, but on the other hand after all these years it probably has happened to a few people before.

sector666 said:

I could see someone using wasd accidentally typing ddqd in the heat of battle, and if they accidentally hit "i" first instead of 8 potentially it could actually be done entirely by accident. It's unlikely, but on the other hand after all these years it probably has happened to a few people before.

Is 8 even used for anything in Doom? Maybe a shortcut for fist, once chainsaw takes over precedence in 1, but I don't really recall.

Patrol1985 said:

How do you do such stuff "accidentally"? :D

Easier than you might think. I managed to nerf my savefile at the start of MAP32, so I pistol started that.

After a little I decided I could live with myself if I cheated past the boss there, because it is Silly. I could probably just have IDCLEV-ed to MAP16, but I IDDQDed, IDKFAed, killed it.

Now I'm at MAP16 with a ton of ammo, so I hit the prboom-plus "restart level" key. This puts you back with 50 bullets and the popgun... but _doesn't_ turn off invulnerability.

ETA: 8's a weapon key in prboom by default, but I don't use WASD, nor the default weapon bindings anymore.

To me, ZDoom maps aren't as fun when compared to early 90's WADs. I don't know why but, the weird & abstract map designs from 94/95 WADs intrest me more than a map full of ZDoom scripts and Custom Monsters.

The styles used in older mapsets just feel more 'DOOM' to me.

Most maps from around then are too blocky for my tastes save for only a few which look weird yet nice, I'm tired of the majority of vanilla megawads being made because they're for the most part even more blockier than even the official maps.

Avoozl said:

Most maps from around then are too blocky for my tastes save for only a few which look weird yet nice, I'm tired of the majority of vanilla megawads being made because they're for the most part even more blockier than even the official maps.

I <3 blocky 90's maps IF and only IF they are fun to play, if the maps are not fun and look like anus then we got what I call an awful Doom wad.

But also, I hate modern maps that look good but play like a lobotomized donkey on steroids in the middle of an earthquake on a unicycle from the £1 shop that is held together with bad gameplay and stinks of cheap tactics like 4 cyberdemons in one map to pad out difficulty and game time.

I am also a fan of short and brutal maps, I love "Hell 2 Pay", "The Rebirth", the starting segment of "Scythe" and "perdition's gate" for their style of quick and fun.

I also enjoy wads rich with custom music and multiple different scenarios like "Icarus: Alien Vanguard" and "Eternal Doom".

I'm not saying they're good if they play like shit though, I just want them to not look like eyesores with at least some variation in the design besides just blocks and squares and still run well at the same time.

If I'm playing a wad that's too easy, I tend to throw myself into unreasonably precarious situations. I'll bare hand imps with unberserked fists, round up revenant missiles into a fiery deathball, or see how many times I can fake them out and miss their punches, chainsaw cacodemons and hell knights, and back myself into the corner closest to the monsters to see if I can escape. How I've learned to laugh when something kills me, and to endanger myself when the challenge is light lets me get considerable enjoyment out of every wad I play. Except for highly linear maps with small rooms and narrow hallways that don't really permit me to play the game the way I want to play it.

I just recently discovered why TNT.WADs map wormhole is called wormhole, as that little teleport thing in the secret takes you to a subverted version of the same map. I think every time I played the map I walked in to the teleport that seemingly teleported me to the location I was walking towards, walked back in it to double check, then continued on with the map. I don't know why it never struck me that I've only gotten like 40% kills every time in such a small map.

I played GRBs acceptable risk map submission for final doom the way id did without checking the map number. I IDCLEVed to each map one after the other until I got to Mount Pain, which was apparently the only map out of the previous twenty-some I didn't recognize right away. I played the map in almost its entirety, died several times, and was mentally preparing a report about what I thought was fitting and unfitting for TNT and whilst complimenting general rainbow bacon on his creative obstacles (such as the crusher over the ssg and the chain gun guys behind solid middle texture windows) I was going to say that overall the map would stick out a little in FDTWiD. It wasn't until I got to the part with those awful spider webs and "disaster area" sign that gave away that it wasn't his map.