Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BennyD

New wad by me

Fun bloody maps, in map32 two cacos were stuck in each other in that area where you kill the cyber, get megasphere and three doors open. Of course you should keep adding new maps. :) Usually people prefer to put "lower unpegged" flag on the walls with DOORTRAK texture so they don't move together with doors but it's just a tradition.

I have that fixed in the new version. And for the low unpegged flags, I've fix that as well. The next release will have a new map, that is sort of based on one of my old maps.

Not bad gameplay wise. Map32 is pretty fun and suprisingly fair for the number of monsters it has.

There's some HOM here and there (I remember seeing some in map1's mancubus pool and in one of the corners of the courtyard in map32), and a few doortrak textures that need to be unpegged.

I'm having some problems uploading the new version into IdGames.
I'll keep updating the Wad, and sending it to my Copy.

Have someone tried to download it from there?

New version of the wad, with a new map.

Still having problems uploading the zip file at IdGames.

The Copy link still is working, download it from there.

BennyD said:

New version of the wad, with a new map.

Still having problems uploading the zip file at IdGames.

Are you using Filezilla? I've had problems at idgames with that one. Whatever app you're using, if you keep having probs, try a trial version of a different one and see if that works.

You are correct SteveD, I'm using Filezilla.

I'm changed to CoffeeCup...

The problem was that the server timeout on me...

And finally, there is a new version of my wad at Idgames, check that out. And have fun playing it.

Map32 is the first slaughtermap I ever beat on UV, so you need to work harder because I'm a terrible player! ;D I died about 8 or 9 times, though. 1,524 monsters killed, almost decided to quit when the PE storm started, glad I kept going. One thing I objected to was trapping the Megaspheres, or stacking them on top of keys. I grabbed a Megasphere in Sector 123 and the next thing I knew, I faced a Cyb guarding a Megasphere in Sector 148, and I had to grab it even though I still had 200/200 after killing the Cyb, because you had to set off a trap to continue. Another time, I was at 200/200 and see a Megasphere on top of the blue key. So I wasted 400 health and armor. Me not happy.

I played in GZDoom, and for some reason the path to the exit door wouldn't open after I pressed the switch in the monster closet of the yellow switch room, so I had to clip to the end. It might be because you have extra vertices on the linedefs of those doors at Sector 172 and 173. Sector 172 also has a weird floor and ceiling height of 64/56, so the floor is actually higher than the ceiling and I'm guessing it's stuck because of that. My advice, make Sector 172 the only door and make the floor/ceiling height 64/64, and delete Vertex 800. Might work then. Even better, delete that path and just have that switch open a real exit door that is clearly marked. This little path isn't cool enough for all that goes into it.

The other 2 maps were okay beginner maps, one trap after another, no real flow. In Map01, when I got the Rocket Launcher, and considering the way the map had gone, I said to myself, "Okay, where's the Archvile?" Didn't take long to find out. ;D Predictable. Map02 had some nice lighting and was a little better, but still trap after trap. I died once on each map.

Map32 was the most ambitious map, but still showcased a lack of effort in several details. With your skylights and some of your lighting, you showed you can do better, but there was still the sloppiness of the Doortrak texture not being lower unpegged in all the maps, some unattractive openings in walls (Map32, Sector 121), and so forth. I'm sorry I didn't have time to play these before they were uploaded, as I would have been insistent on fixing these problems. Another issue was having a rather large map where I see a yellow-keyed switch and only find the yellow key some time later, and forget where that switch was. I had to noclip to see where the monsters were to find it, because it's a small thing and you have to go all the way into the room and fully explore it to find that sucker. So it was just a frustrating switch-hunt.

That said, I think you can do better maps if you put the effort in. You have the killer instinct to go after the player, and that's always a good thing. ;)

Sit Rep: I've been busy, so I did not have time to fix the maps, only now I have some time to fix some issues.

In other way, I've started to design the 7th map for this wad. I'll look up for some issues in other maps later on.

Anyway, I'm must distress that I'm still a new mapper, so I do make some mistakes, but I'm getting better at making maps.
And I use normally PrBoom+ for testing the wad, so I really can't tell if there is any bugs in other sourceports.

Btw, I hope to end this wad somewhere in december, if nothing goes wrong.

I thank everyone for playing the wad and telling where are the bugs.
You are been really helpful, and I wish make this megaWad an average one.

Thanks for your demos gggmork.
I'll keep fixing the maps. But for now I'll keep designing the map07.

New Sit Rep: I've been busy redesigning the first and second map. I hope to finish this first part of this wad as soon as possible.