Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
demonoid

mega doom wad collection

Wow, you made a lot of levels. I tried Truedoom.wad, looked pretty interesting at first sight. I think I'll play through it in multiplayer with fast monsters for more challenge (the levels don't seem that hard).

I played through 8 maps of Truedoom in multiplayer with fast monsters and 2x damage. I liked the geometry and monster placement in most levels but I also have two big complaints.

The first is that there are way too many powerups. The maps are pretty easy to begin with so all the megaspheres seemed like an overkill even for the hard settings that we were using. I especially don't like how you often give a green sphere before cyberdemons. What's the point if the player can just stand safely, do a few BFG shots and kill the cyber?

Number two and the most important one: there is barely any brightness variation in these levels. That often makes them look really bland. (some rooms still look pretty cool) I strongly recommend that you start using more different brightness levels per room, that's really important in my opinion.

But still pretty cool oldschool maps.

Thank's for the feed back about truedoom , i built that map a few years ago , the same with hellboss there older map's from when i first started building map's.

Truedoom i made some changes to the wad , removed the cyberdemon in map 01 ,i caught on to that after i played the wad i didn't like it either,it's better now with out that cyberdemon lol

I took a look the first and last megawads on that list. You improved a lot, how much time is there between them?

Now for practical purposes I'll only give feedback on Truedoom.wad which, I assume is your most recent megawad.

Light variation is almost non-existent, most levels use the same, boring and uninspired light levels. Play with darkness and shadows and you'll notice a huge improvement on your maps depth.

Texturing seems random and nonsensical on most places, there is never a sense of "place". Before building a map, try choosing a particular theme and how to implement it; if it helps, try picturing a place and create a mental history on how it came to be.

Level layout is hit or miss, some levels flow nicely while some others have bullshit progression. And while we're on levels you should really vary the shapes you use; most maps are really boxy, which makes them boring in a long play session. Also use key markers on doors! It's extremely annoying to press a Door/Switch just to be shown the "you need x key to use this" message.

Difficulty and item placement: What Memfis said.

I've played through all maps in multiplayer and I think only map23 had a marked door. When I saw it I was like woooow, what is this. But honestly I didn't mind it, just a simple memory test. I also liked how you never know what's a teleport and what isn't, keeps you on your toes. The design is almost fine by me, I just with there was some more variation in brightness and texturing (lots of maps use same textures). Would be cool to see another wad like this but maybe harder and with less powerups. Even with fast and 2x strong monsters it was often relaxing.

Thank you for the feed back , ya i spent a lot of time building them doom wads , if i build another doom wad i will be sure to do better thank you for the review lol