• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reisal

Titanfall will have 2 hour multiplayer campaign

Mr. Chris said:

Source
More here

Out of all this hyping, this is all you can come up with, Respawn?

Its the shameful progress in gaming industry on how to rip off consumers

two hours seems to be a bit average for most games doesnt it? Is that the point of the thread? Titanfall is supposed to be really extraordinary?

Also describing a games campaign in length of time sounds pretty terrifying. Isn't that the same unit of measurement people use to tell about miserable their car ride was?

In some sense, this is better than having a terrible campaign like the recent CoD games; after all, these games are already bought almost entirely for their multiplayer. So, if the campaign is all but removed from the game, then at least one could hope that Respawn will spend more time and resources on the only aspect of the game people will enjoy very much anyway.

I've seen Titanfall gameplay, and it actually looked kind of fun in multiplayer. I rarely play new games anymore (my computer wouldn't be able to play anything new), so it's not easy for me to judge, but it seemed like a lot of the core multiplayer gameplay concepts would be fun: that is, player vs. mech combat, mech vs. player combat, and the wallrunning and high jumping in the game.

There were a few things I didn't really think were as good, though. The multiplayer AI was shitty, and I didn't think the Burn Cards were a very good concept. Nevertheless, I think that for a large proportion of FPS gamers, even with a short, unsatisfying campaign, the game might be worth the $60.

after all, these games are already bought almost entirely for their multiplayer.

People say that, but again and again the few official stats we get show something closer to a 50/50 split.

Don't drink the marketing kool-aid. They'd like you to believe multiplayer is the only point so they can make their games always online, which has many benefits for publishers: DRM, sell you DLC, advertise their other brands and products, etc..

Why do you think there's always a SP mode, in those games made for money and money alone? It's not out of the goodness of their hearts. It's not, as is often claimed, a tutorial or introduction for multiplayer (who seriously believes that, after just a few minutes of deathmatch in any game?). It's because they know a portion of their userbase plays singleplayer exclusively, and it's significant enough in size they're willing to spend ludicrous amounts of money (compared to the return on investment for MP content) on the singleplayer experience.

Then the challenge becomes to trick these people into trying out multiplayer. Small campaign = "hmm, that was quick. maybe I should get the most out of my purchase and give MP a go?..."

The fact that there's no single player alone already turns me off this game, I was really disappointed to find that out a few days ago.

Wh... Wha... Two goddamn hours?! I'll be surprised if anyone is even going to bother.

Mr. Chris said:

Also a season pass has already been announced. Wonderful.

I was gonna ask if the CD had the DLC coded onto the disc, but then I realized the disc, if it exists, would probably just have a launcher for some EA host and everything is just downloaded off of the internet.

It is a multi player only game. The 2 hour campaign is a tutorial.

geo said:

It is a multi player only game. The 2 hour campaign is a tutorial.

I was thinking something very similar. All of the footage of the game I've seen thus far has heavily indicated that Titanfall was going to be a multiplayer game. Giant Bomb previewed the game twice, and in both cases, everyone pretty much assumed there wouldn't even be a single player / campaign option to boot. It seems like a lot of people are getting butt hurt over nothing.

Clonehunter said:

I was gonna ask if the CD had the DLC coded onto the disc, but then I realized the disc, if it exists, would probably just have a launcher for some EA host and everything is just downloaded off of the internet.

EA / Respawn has already announced that the game will be available in packaged form, for all platforms as far as I can tell.

Yep its just a multi player game like Team Fortress 2. Sure there are bots, but its all multi player and no campaign or people would bitch like they did with the Battlefield games.... and like they're doing now over a 2 hour campaign. I'm sure calling it a 2 hour tutorial people would complain how long the tutorial is.

As long as the campaign is nothing more than a Multiplayer tutorial and a couple of bot matches (Sort of like Quake 3), it being 2 hours doesn't really bother me.

With all that aside, I'm eagerly awaiting the game's release!

I think Titanfall looks really fucking rad, but the lack of singleplayer does turn me off. Also it's not attractive enough for me to bother with Origin so I probably won't get to play it.

Nomad said:

Also it's not attractive enough for me to bother with Origin so I probably won't get to play it.

As much as I want the game, I really wish they would do away with Origin.

I find no reason to hate Origin really, I actually don't like having to use a client regardless of which one it is but I have found Origin more lenient to people with non high-speed internet, you aren't forced to update a game to play it for one thing and it's offline mode doesn't have a check every so often to force you to go online each time.

There's not many games I want on Origin regardless though, I only have Kingdoms of Amalur and Mass Effect 3 on it currently..

While I can't say I wouldn't be interested in a good SP campaign which fleshes out how the world of Titanfall came to be, history doesn't suggest EA would be on-board for a lengthy, substantive SP campaign.

Avoozl said:

I find no reason to hate Origin really, I actually don't like having to use a client regardless of which one it is but I have found Origin more lenient to people with non high-speed internet, you aren't forced to update a game to play it for one thing and it's offline mode doesn't have a check every so often to force you to go online each time.

There's not many games I want on Origin regardless though, I only have Kingdoms of Amalur and Mass Effect 3 on it currently..

I don't have any reason to hate Origin either, I just don't have any good reason to use it. I'm not interested in having 321646 different game libraries when I'm satisfied enough with just using Steam. If that means missing out on one or two gems, well I guess so be it.

I don't hate Origin, GOG, Desura or Uplay. I think I own 10 games on Origin, but really its Steam or nothing. Steam is just always open and I often forget that I own games elsewhere. heck I forget the Steam games I own.

I'm sure Titanfall will be free soon enough.

Eh, Titanfall is literally designed and engineered to be a multiplayer game.

Does anyone complain about the lack of 10 hour single player campaign in TF2?

Also, the Campaign isnt a tutorial, The "Campaign" is just regular MP matches with some cutscenes/story fluff added in. Kind of how the Unreal Tournament or Total Annihilation Campaigns were designed, except instead of AI opponents it's live MP against people.

Having played the beta, I'd say 2 hours is about 10 matches, maybe 12.

This is the first game I've specifically bought for Origin. The only other things in my account are from that Humble Bundle, and one Need For Speed game that I was given. I played the beta for this, and decided this was worth it.

Even if they did add SP, it would be just a boring linear cutscene laden 5-6 hour campaign just like Call of Duty or Battlefield.

Just as Single player games shouldn't bother with slapped on MP. Multiplayer games shouldn't bother with slapped on Single player. So there's a short campaign in this game. So what? It's not the campagin that people will be focusing on. It's the multiplayer matches. The campaign is probably mostly there to get people together and their feet wet.

I played the beta and the movement system is pretty fun and the mech battles remind me of Hawken. It's a good game. And there's really no reason to make a single player campaign for it.

I avoid Prisym. They make their own news.

Too bad by the time it made the news the exploit was already fixed.

Also, the reveal of an exploit existing is hardly a reason to hate the product. It's a reason for some concern and to act careful until it's been fixed (wich it has). But it seem more like you're just looking for a reason to hate it. Origin may not be perfect, but at least it's got warranties for the buyer. Which is more than you can say for Steam.

I remember 2 years ago maybe people hating Steam and the disproof we presented. I like reading reviews of Steam games that read 'has Uplay, completely broken' or 'fuck EA!' Not to mention people that say wow what a great indie game, yet its published by EA.