Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Kevin

Favorite Source Port? (Multiple Choice Poll)

Favorite Source Port? (Multiple Choice)  

369 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite source port?

If it makes you feel any better Quasar, I do really want to try out EE when the portals can be shot and targeted through! It'll be a far superior method of creating 3D structures to the 3D floors (G)ZDoom make do with and my previous usage of EE leads me to believe it's otherwise just as playable as ZDoom in terms of being Doom with a modern control layout, full mouselook and decent resolutions. The Demo compatibility is a nice-to-have, as well :)

I disagree that portals are better at 3D geometry than 3D floors are, but portals open up the much more interesting possibility of physically impossible, non-Euclidean geometry - like that one Duke 3D secret map in Episode 2 where you have to do a 720° loop to do a full circuit around the outer rings of the map.

Dunno why this is turning into portal vs. 3D floor grudge match, but my opinion on the subject still is that these are different tools with different uses. I can just as easily imagine situations where the simpler and most convenient solution is a 3D floor and situations where it is a portal. The best (short of dropping the 2.5D mapping paradigm entirely) would be to have both because they are complementary.

Main choice of source port; Eternity I use it to play most things though if a wad uses ZDoom effects I will use GZDoom however, I also use PrBoom + at times (mostly if I want to speedrun obviously). For scrimming (priv) I use Zandronum coupled with IDE (beats DoomSeeker in my opinion), Pub CTF I use ZDaemon and OS duels I use Odamex. Level design wise; I use DB 2 though I have been thinking of experimenting with Eureka as for testing purposes, I rarely use anything (I should though). For music placement I use Slumped and I use SLADE at times.

ZDoom for mods, my shitty Youtube videos and PSX Doom (Because fuck openGL).

Zandronum for quick testing of wads I downloaded.

PrBoom for actually playing the game.

XWE to check random .wad files and extract midi files from things like GRP (I like to live dangerously XD)

SLADE 3 for any actual wad editing like adding music, demos, textures or merging levels.

Doombuilder 2 to make maps.

Doomword for intermission graphics.

IDE for multiplayer.

Chocolate Doom for a little secret.

ZDaemon and Odamex for multiplayer ports.

Eternity, Legacy, ReMood and Skulltag for messing around.

GZDoom, GLBoom (and +) are present, but never used (Because I can't stand open GL).

BaronOfStuff said:

Doing it oh so very wrong.

The extra darkness makes it a more difficult and terrifying experience, I can have it looking like the PSX port and I get to keep the software rendering on.

mrthejoshmon said:

The extra darkness makes it a more difficult and terrifying experience, I can have it looking like the PSX port and I get to keep the software rendering on.

I actually played the PSX TC once on a regular ZDoom build. I'd say it was a mistake though since I can't even see a inch in front of my face there. Too dark for me so I use GZDoom for stuff now :p.

mrthejoshmon said:

lolwat

I generally just use prboom for vanilla maps.

Zdoom if it has features that prboom can't use.

I occasionally use gzdoom for the wads that use a lot of 3d floors.

I sometimes use Doombuilder 2 to see how things work or to try to make something.

Well, I use ZDoom to play most of the wads/pk3 and skulltag sometimes for special skulltag wads, I don't use GZdoom nor Skulltag's GL mode, only software, and if the map needs GZDoom I use it, but that's just very special times.

Multiplayer: Odamex ftw, I used to play a ZDaemon since 2002 and a little bit of Skulltag (just jumpmaze wad) but now I retun to Odamex.

Editors: XWE/Slade 3, and the map editor is Doom Builder 2

PRBoom for regular play
Chocolate Doom for vanilla testing
Choco Render Limits for vanilla testing
Skulltag for Multiplayer testing
GZDoom for everything else

Slade 2 as my map editor
Doombuilder 2, mostly for texture alignment & building reject data. I don't know I've just never gotten the hang of it, so I've stuck with Slade 2.

Slade 3 for wad editing

Prboom+ for playing normal/boom wads
Choclate Doom to test vanilla limits
GZdoom to play Zdoom wads
Zandoronum and Zdaemon and Odamex for multiplayer. Nuff' said

mrthejoshmon said:

My GZDoom looks nothing like that, it looks like an oil painting.

Screenshot? Sounds like you've got filtering and/or hq resize enabled, or the texture format setting is wrong.

BaronOfStuff said:

Sounds like you've got filtering and/or hq resize enabled, or the texture format setting is wrong.

It wasn't just that, it seems in an attempt to get a solid frame rate I absolutely fucked the entire GL settings, one quick "Revert to default" and it works and looks absolutely fine now (Give or take a few things).

So i guess I WILL be using GZDoom for the PSX TC:

exl said:

GZDoom pretty much. Maybe PrBoom+ for the rare demo playback. And Odamex for the tiny sliver of multiplayer Doomage I've done over the past few years.

this. gzdoom with zdl's last version as a launcher.

Gez said:

I hate you.

For reference, MIDI support exists in vanilla Doom since version 1.5. Yes, that means that v1.666 can use MIDI lumps.

Yes, but Legacy, which I use frequently with my friends, does not support MIDI for whatever crazy reason, yet MUS works fine. (well, by fine I mean, the song -usually- isn't butchered..)

Also, why do you hate these kinds of threads, Quasar? I find it to be an interesting topic to see the variety of ports used by the variety of players for the variety of reasons. I'm surprised any long term Doomer would disagree.

Don't hate, appreciate ;) (there, now you all have a legitimate reason to hate me. What an annoying expression.)

Edit:

Gez said:

Download the latest shareware version. There you go.

How do I get it to read DOOM2 instead of DOOM.wad? I've tried this before but couldn't figure it out.

Doomkid92 said:

Also, why do you hate these kinds of threads, Quasar? I find it to be an interesting topic to see the variety of ports used by the variety of players for the variety of reasons. I'm surprised any long term Doomer would disagree.

Because there's one every 2 weeks and they're all the exact same thing over and over.

Let me sum up every one of them that has happened ever:

• ZDoom/GZDoom - 80% of posters
  • PrBoom-Plus - 10% of posters
  • People using PrBoom-Plus and complaining it is missing features that Eternity has - the remaining 10%

It's true, that's this thread in a nutshell. I was hoping to hear more about what setup people use for multiplayer, IDE with the "big 3" for finding servers seems to be the best option. I was stunned to find out Doom Connector is still up and running, which prompted me to ask. I was also curious about editing utils, but Doom Builder + SlumpEd seems to be the common picks in that region.

I was thinking more people would use DOSbox, but I was wrong. Are there any players of chocdoom multiplayer here? Id enjoy the vanilla-like experience, not to mention the demo compatibility.

Chocolate-doom because it's like Dos doom (in other words %100 doom).

Eternity because it's very unique and weird lol. I really do use it because it's like vanilla doom; but it has really advanced features at the same time (can run the the Lost episode pwad flawlessly without need for zdoom, while behaving like vanilla doom. No other source port can do that). Has the coolest sound options (low pass filter, equalizer), and the best menu I've ever seen (you can hide it to look and behave like vanilla doom if you really must but I don't :) ). MBF and boom compatibility I believe too, so this is the coolest source port in my opinion (my personal favorite); it's like commercial quality. Even has master-levels support and other custom stuff which no other source port has I believe. No longer use prboom-plus because of this source port (or chocolate-doom for that matter).

Gzdoom-zdoom because most new pwads out there only work with this source port. Some more advanced wads are made with zdoom-gzdoom in mind (Ultimate Torment and Torture; Knee Deep in Zdoom, etc.) and they really are master-pieces. If it wasn't for the wads I wouldn't be using this source port. It's also the reason I don't buy new games hehe.

That hud looks so awful (think TurboGraphx 16). Someone needs to seriously consider using Saturn Doom for resources. Fonts and hud (and maybe other stuff) are higher resolution and don't look like that. I know the Saturn port sucked but it's not like the PC runs bad with higher resolution.

I regularly use Chocolate-Doom. I only use PrBoom+ or ZDoom when some mod requires more features. I stay as much close as I can to vanilla-Doom. When I want to play online quickly, I use Zandronum, though I prefer vanilla multiplayer.
For WAD editing, I use XWE, Doom Builder 2 and chocorenderlimits for testing.
I still use vanilla in DosBox a lot.

Holering said:

That hud looks so awful (think TurboGraphx 16). Someone needs to seriously consider using Saturn Doom for resources. Fonts and hud (and maybe other stuff) are higher resolution and don't look like that. I know the Saturn port sucked but it's not like the PC runs bad with higher resolution.

1) No it doesn't.
2) Saturn resources in the PSX TC aren't happening, for obvious reasons. We already went over this in the TC thread.

Seriously, if it bothers you so much, get out there and do it yourself.

Holering said:

Stuff

Thanks for the vote of confidence, it's nice to hear one now and then. I do know we've come up in this thread more than before (despite my sarcastic comment above about 80/10/10 split :P) and probably largely thanks to some of the hard work I've done just recently, adding some things for which people have begged for years ;)

Always GZDOOM. Simply because I don't play co-op or multiplayer, and there's slightly better support with it than Zandarium.
Also, most of the mods I run seemed to not like Zandarium for some reason...